JRiver media player is the ultimate.

lbstyling

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive tried them all extensively. And there is no contest. Xbmc has a better looking GUI I'll grant you, but JRiver is years ahead at this point.
The competition is over for me. No dedicated hardware based option can touch it for audio and video quality, and no software option can beat its adaptability or features. You could run the worlds best cinema from this program....

So why isn't is as popular as the iPhone???

Huh? It's nothing like XBMC for functionality and wouldn't have drawn the comparison personally having tried a number of players myself over the years. It looks like any number of media players from yester year - Musicmatch Jukebox immediately springs to mind.
I especially liked the way it hung like iTunes all over the GUI when you navigate the folders on the left, or mid typing this post just decided it wanted to jump to foreground...

Though the sound quality is nice on some decent uncompressed stuff I have

Xbmc really can't do much, so I'm not sure where your getting that from. No browser, or streaming, Internet tv, freeview or frees at etc. can u use it as a hub to network your media to other devices? Can you use your iPhone as a remote for it or stream all media to your android in its max resolution? Or watch YouTube on it while it upscales to 1080p with the most powerful upscaling algorithm currently available? Can you set it to select the audio stream you prefer for the media type your listening or watching automatically- for instance, all lossless audio is left native, but any mp3 192k files are upscaled to 64 bit. Or dynamic compression for action films for late viewing. Not to mention room eq. For gods sake - I've got it running 10 speakers all eq'd with house curves on the subs and different target curves for playing different media- even different crossovers for the subs when playing different media!. My onkyo 886 couldn't even come close to doing that!

Not sue what you mean by jumping, not had any issue like that myself, or heard of it.

Xbmc lived in my system for about 2 months till I realised that it looks great, but can't even play a DVD without having frame rate issues ( jumpy playback) and I'm not paying 5k for a TV and watching that.
Same issue with boxee. Subtitles were a pain in the ass on these too, you can't set it to use forced English subtitles or quickly turn them on when playing a foreign film.

You can even rip blurays and DVDs in JRiver now. And I would also argue that xbmc and boxee among others don't play dts hdma, just the core tracks.

Line em up and I'll shoot em down!
Next.

Last edited:
I am not sure it is worth spending $50 on JRiver when there are free and open source alternatives that do most of the above plus some other (better) features (in my opinion)

Xbmc can do most the things you listed

robbo100 said:
I am not sure it is worth spending $50 on JRiver when there are free and open source alternatives that do most of the above plus some other (better) features (in my opinion)

This is the point.. Such as?? There isn't! Not even close. I wish there was!

Yup $50. Best $50 I've ever spent because it actually works!

As I mentioned before, xbmc has nice skins, but it's not very advanced.

I toyed with XBMC about 9 months ago and couldn't get it to do anything. Couldn't get it to see my files or do any scraping. I spent hours on it. I then read about jRiver on some forums and downloaded the trial version. I pointed it to my files and it picked them all up beautifully first go. I bought it there and then because it is worth more than $50 in the hassle it has saved me.

Once you look into the program a bit deeper it has a very impressive database structure, highly configurable view schemes and although not skinnable to the same extent as XBMC it does look pretty in 'theaterview' mode. It also gives you the bonus of the standard view to mess about with the database to adjust files etc.

Using LAV Filters for splitting/decoding and MadVR for rendering is stunning and everything is downloaded (and updated) automatically and videos look stunning, even for upscaled SD material. There is no need to download/register/install directshow filters or codec packs since it is all done automatically for you. I got in such a mess fiddling with codec packs in the past it took hours of my life to erase the mess and get back to something that worked! JRiver makes this a breeze.

DVB-T is fully supported (as is ATSC) including HD, so I now have a fully featured media front end.

I know that Mediaportal is another favourite on these forums, but I also found this didn't work easily for me and gave up on it. JRiver just does the job and ticks most of the boxes for me. The couple left unticked I hope will be sorted soon.

'it just works out of the box'!

SBR

Last edited:
Hi sbr, mediaportal is a more feature rich option than most, but I found you need to endlessly fiddle to get it to play nice. It's good on freeview once setup though. I find you need endless plugins for it and it's been too glitchy to bother with for me. The upscaling is a fail, and smooth video playback of different fps is a fail too. add that to limited audio control and i give up there.

Again, you lot should give the free JRiver trial a go!

Good input from Sandy Ridge. I think that the original post might have been worded better by raising everyone's attention to the benefits of JRiver, rather than slating the software that other use, which will always get a slightly defensive response (since many are passionate about the software choice that they have made for their systems)

Personally, I think one key reason that people like to go for open source software is that they know that they can get quick development of plugins and skins by people who want a similar thing, but with closed source software, if the developer isn't interested in something, they won't do it. Also, it looks like the JRiver software can not be configured out of the box using the 10ft interface, which is one of the main reasons why many people love XBMC.

I have had a look on the JRiver website, and even after 10 minutes looking at it, I still feel that I don't quite know what it is capable of. There are very few screen-shots, and a huge amount of the wiki is just hyperlinks to the forum, which is really poor.

The support forums look quite busy (which is always a good indication as to how easy you can fix problems), but the actual numbers of people using it are really quite low, for example, the most people ever logged on was 305, in comparison to MediaPortal which was 3,104 (I can't check XBMC forum from work as it is blocked for some reason!).

Originally Posted by robbo100

This is the point.. Such as?? There isn't! Not even close. I wish there was!

Line em up and I'll shoot em down!

I do feel like I bang on about MediaPortal a bit too much on this forum (I am sure you will all agree), but seeing as you are so insistent I will use it as an example with your list of features to prove that "There isn't! Not even close", isn't the case at all:

No browser, - MP Does

or streaming, - MP Does

Internet tv, - MP Does

freeview or frees at etc. - MP Does

can u use it as a hub to network your media to other devices? Currently MP does not support this natively, however since MP is designed to run as a server/client setup to share data this is not really the design aims of the software. However I believe there is a plugin for it and it (I think) will be supported in MP Version 2. This isn't a feature I need or want, so JRiver brings me no benifit here.

Can you use your iPhone as a remote for it or stream all media to your android in its max resolution? - MP Does

Or watch YouTube on it while it upscales to 1080p with the most powerful upscaling algorithm currently available? You can watch YouTube on MP, and my GPU will automatically upscale. Who has judged it as "the most powerful upscaling algorithm currently available"

Can you set it to select the audio stream you prefer for the media type your listening or watching automatically- for instance, all lossless audio is left native, but any mp3 192k files are upscaled to 64 bit. I Don't think MP can do this, but you can upscale the audio using other software I believe. This is not a massive requirement for me to be honest, so it wouldn't make me spend the money.

Or dynamic compression for action films for late viewing. I hate dynamic compression on film soundtracks. If the director wanted the soundtrack to make a hissing sound during quiet scenes then he would have put an aeroplane with it's engines running on the set. :) - No MP can not do this...., but you can get the sound filter to do it for you without any problem if you really want - so the answer is probably "MP Does".

Not to mention room eq. For gods sake - I've got it running 10 speakers all eq'd with house curves on the subs and different target curves for playing different media- even different crossovers for the subs when playing different media!. My onkyo 886 couldn't even come close to doing that! - Ummmm, my wife would kill me if I bought more speakers, for me this is not an important requirement and not worth spending the money for.

Not sue what you mean by jumping, not had any issue like that myself, or heard of it. - N/A

Xbmc lived in my system for about 2 months till I realised that it looks great, but can't even play a DVD without having frame rate issues ( jumpy playback) and I'm not paying 5k for a TV and watching that. N/A - MP plays media of all formats without any problem and the codecs can be manually configured (if you wish) to get the best results for your individual system.

Same issue with boxee. Subtitles were a pain in the ass on these too, you can't set it to use forced English subtitles or quickly turn them on when playing a foreign film. - You can on MP.

You can even rip blurays and DVDs in JRiver now. - Hmmm, well I looked on the JRiver website about this one, and it doesn't do it natively. Even for JRiver you need to install an on-the-fly decrypter to do this, which is exactly the same for MediaPortal.

EDIT: Just to clarify, MP can rip DVDs, but not rip bluerays, but it can play DVDs and Bluerays natively.

And I would also argue that xbmc and boxee among others don't play dts hdma, just the core tracks. - MediaPortal plays DTS HDMA without any problem completely natively without any additional software. Also, looking on the JRiver wiki, it says that you need to "to copy the "dtsdecoderdll.dll" from an installation of Arcsoft TMT", which means that you need to spend another $99 just to get HD Audio working (or break the law).

Here are some MediaPortal functions that JRiver can't do (these functions are really important to me):

1) Keep all your tuner cards in one server on the network and stream live TV across the network to clients.
2) record more than one channel using a single tuner card.
3) Highly configurable skinning
4) Any number of bespoke plugins.

I think what this says is that everyone has different requirements and pick their software as individuals. I suspect that if you don't watch live TV then XBMC is far better at meeting most people's requirements than JRiver (and free), and MediaPortal is better at meeting the requirements of most requirements for people who do want to watch live TV. Either that, or the JRiver marketing is poor and/or the price just puts people off (even thought there is a free trial period).

Last edited:
Good input from Sandy Ridge. I think that the original post might have been worded better by raising everyone's attention to the benefits of JRiver, rather than slating the software that other use, which will always get a slightly defensive response (since many are passionate about the software choice that they have made for their systems)

yes, but- would you have responded with as much effort and detail??:) In my experience, life is a game of poker. Being nice is not always the most effective, it depends what you are trying to do!

Personally, I think one key reason that people like to go for open source software is that they know that they can get quick development of plugins and skins by people who want a similar thing, but with closed source software, if the developer isn't interested in something, they won't do it. Also, it looks like the JRiver software can not be configured out of the box using the 10ft interface, which is one of the main reasons why many people love XBMC.

This is as true if not more true for open source. You have no reason to expect any further development of the program. Look at xbmc, very little is developed for it now. JRiver has been updated and developed over 30 years! The developers add features that are asked for by enough people. Either way theres no reason to doubt that this far down the line! Jriver can be configured to operate only in 10ft interface (theatre mode) on startup (this is how I use it) -ie from power on, you are straight into theatre mode, which can be configured to start at any page you like, or add buttons and features like TV program times.

I have had a look on the JRiver website, and even after 10 minutes looking at it, I still feel that I don't quite know what it is capable of. There are very few screen-shots, and a huge amount of the wiki is just hyperlinks to the forum, which is really poor.

as true for any, but not an excuse for a program not to be any good. The best thing about JRiver is that its comparatively self explanatory when you look at players like mediaportal
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68917.0
ive seen many mediaportal users move over to JRiver (most even!), but I cant remember seeing any come from JRiver when I was using Mediaportal.

The support forums look quite busy (which is always a good indication as to how easy you can fix problems), but the actual numbers of people using it are really quite low, for example, the most people ever logged on was 305, in comparison to MediaPortal which was 3,104 (I can't check XBMC forum from work as it is blocked for some reason!)

The numbers will be lower simply because it isnt free. More people will gravitate to a free option if there is one. That doesnt make it better though does it??

No browser, - MP Does

or streaming, - MP Does

Internet tv, - MP Does

freeview or frees at etc. - MP Does

I never suggested it diddent- these are features that xbmc doesnt have. Its great the MP does this...good for you.

can u use it as a hub to network your media to other devices? Currently MP does not support this natively, however since MP is designed to run as a server/client setup to share data this is not really the design aims of the software. However I believe there is a plugin for it and it (I think) will be supported in MP Version 2. This isn't a feature I need or want, so JRiver brings me no benifit here.

you mean 'no' then...saying you dont use it is not a 'get out of jail free card'

Can you use your iPhone as a remote for it or stream all media to your android in its max resolution? - MP Does

does that include watching the media on the android? and even different media on different devices at the same time all from one hub?

Or watch YouTube on it while it upscales to 1080p with the most powerful upscaling algorithm currently available? You can watch YouTube on MP, and my GPU will automatically upscale. Who has judged it as "the most powerful upscaling algorithm currently available"

madVR - high quality video renderer (GPU assisted) - Doom9's Forum

madVR is gpu assisted, so automatically has much more power available to it than any other option. You may be able to use it as a plugin on other players, but its native in JRiver and unbeatable.

Not sue what you mean by jumping, not had any issue like that myself, or heard of it. - N/A

simple. it cannot match the framerate of the tv fully. conversion from 23.976 fps> whatever the tv's framerate. this is a MUST.

You can even rip blurays and DVDs in JRiver now. - Hmmm, well I looked on the JRiver website about this one, and it doesn't do it natively. Even for JRiver you need to install an on-the-fly decrypter to do this, which is exactly the same for MediaPortal.

fair enough.

And I would also argue that xbmc and boxee among others don't play dts hdma, just the core tracks. - MediaPortal plays DTS HDMA without any problem completely natively without any additional software.

...does it?
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-pcs/1170570-dts-hd-ma-mediaportal.html

Also, looking on the JRiver wiki, it says that you need to "to copy the "dtsdecoderdll.dll" from an installation of Arcsoft TMT", which means that you need to spend another $99 just to get HD Audio working (or break the law).

Here are some MediaPortal functions that JRiver can't do (these functions are really important to me):

1) Keep all your tuner cards in one server on the network and stream live TV across the network to clients.

I believe JRiver can do this

2) record more than one channel using a single tuner card.

Again, never attempted, but not sure if you can or cant, also nothing stopping you from having a second card. You may actually have somthing there that Jriver cant do, amazing......well done!

*edit* sly devil- you mean a twin tuner card! in that case -yes it can.

3)
Highly configurable skinning

please tell me your a woman? so does JRiver.

4) Any number of bespoke plugins.

As can JRiver.....bespoke?...thin ground.

I think what this says is that everyone has different requirements and pick their software as individuals. I suspect that if you don't watch live TV then XBMC is far better at meeting most people's requirements than JRiver (and free),

I think we have proven the exact opposite actually. Love to know how you got to that conclusion

and MediaPortal is better at meeting the requirements of most requirements for people who do want to watch live TV. Either that, or the JRiver marketing is poor and/or the price just puts people off (even thought there is a free trial period).

really, how so??? we got to the conclusion so far that you may be able to use 1 card for 2 streams......thats it!

no fancy library configuration, no frame rate match, madVR isnt supported last time I checked- [Videos] Adding madVR support - MediaPortal Forum

so much for the fast open source support.;)

independantly adjustable speaker distances, framerate doubler?, eq??

I do feel like I bang on about MediaPortal a bit too much on this forum (I am sure you will all agree), but seeing as you are so insistent I will use it as an example with your list of features to prove that "There isn't! Not even close", isn't the case at all:

im sure you wont admit it but it is.

But then,I dont mind because i didnt write all this to prove it to you- im just using you to show it to everyone else.

.....next.;)

Last edited:
This is getting silly now. Xbmc not being developed? Really? Incorrect.

Xbmc no streaming? Yes it does.

Xbmc no internet tv? I was using iplayer on it last night and the other catchups are available too, as are youtube and plethora of others.

It also has freeview and freesat with the right build. With a choice of backends.

Not only can you control an navigate xbmc with your android/iOS but you can have a standalone xbmc installation on iOS.

JRiver may well be amazing, but from its website i can't tell (like someone else says). I don't understand why you feel the need to attack xbmc, especially considering most of the accusations you've flung so far are wide of the mark.

If anyone reads all that and decides to give the free trial a go- drop a line here to let me know how you found it.

Thanks.

Xbmc no streaming? Yes it does.

Xbmc no internet tv? I was using iplayer on it last night and the other catchups are available too, as are youtube and plethora of others.

thats new since I last checked then- as thats why boxee was developed on the xbmc format- as the developers said there was no interest in any development in that direction (and boxee sponsored xbmc)

It also has freeview and freesat with the right build. With a choice of backends.

un aware of that if its the case- again, this is either a new development or its been kept very quiet!

Not only can you control an navigate xbmc with your android/iOS but you can have a standalone xbmc installation on iOS.

Didnt claim it doesnt!

JRiver may well be amazing, but from its website i can't tell (like someone else says). I don't understand why you feel the need to attack xbmc, especially considering most of the accusations you've flung so far are wide of the mark.

Im not realy attacking xbmc or MP, Im 1) raising awareness that JRiver is better in my opinion and 2)I cant see why it seams almost nobody has realised that its the best option for many if not most people out there on a forum for AV, and 3) many of the features requested on other media players that havent materialised are already in effect on JRiver. It is the most advanced player availible.- You just wouldnt know by the way they advertise it- so I just fixed that.
Its more efficient to put it in direct competition with the other media players and show how serious it should be taken than just say 'I find it realy good', because you lot will just take one look at the main JRiver page and say- 'but what does it do?!!'

On a side note- I would kill for the confluence skin ;)

(alright, not kill, - just mame then)

Last edited:
In my experience of both JRiver (since MC12) and MediaPortal (since 0.9.9) and using both every day during that time (so, quite a few years), JRiver is better for audio playback & organisation of a large database.

MC17 with Red October is better for newbies getting videos to play correctly because you don't have to mess about with configuring codecs - MC does it for you. Which, once you get past the beginner stage, is both a good and a bad thing.

Everything else (skinning, customisation, plugins, metadata scraping...) MediaPortal wins hands down. Sorry, but there it is. JRiver is years behind on that - and hamstrung by being commercial (go talk to JimH on the MC forums and ask him why JRiver doesn't automaticallys scrape thetvdb.com or imdb.com for metadata, see what happens...).

JRiver is a media player. MediaPortal is an HTPC software designed for the living room. Two related, but ultimately completely different pieces of software.

Quote:
Didnt claim it doesnt!

I don't hate to nitpick but if you re-read your 2nd post you claimed xbmc couldn't do a lot of things:
Xbmc really can't do much, so I'm not sure where your getting that from. No browser, or streaming, Internet tv, freeview or frees at etc. can u use it as a hub to network your media to other devices? Can you use your iPhone as a remote for it or stream all media to your android in its max resolution?

Maybe it just written in a subjective way and you were actually asking a question. But the way i read that is that you are saying it can't.

And if jriver can't scrape imdb or thetvdb like StockportJambo says then it really isn't fit for purpose for my htpc software i'm afraid.
If i didn't want movie info then i could just double click stuff in windows explorer!

And if jriver can't scrape imdb or thetvdb like StockportJambo says then it really isn't fit for purpose for my htpc software i'm afraid.
If i didn't want movie info then i could just double click stuff in windows explorer!

To be fair, the situation has improved a little bit in MC17. It will scrape data from some internet sources, but on a file by file basis and requiring manual intervention for each one. You can't set up a parsing rule like in MP-TVSeries and get it to automatically scan and scrape for multiple files.

Similarly, the views of that data in Theatre View (JRiver's 10ft interface) is pretty minimal & basic when you put it next to something like MediaPortal running StreamedMP (for example).

I use JRiver on my HTPC for audio (which is better) and for videos which don't require / need online metadata retrieval... e.g. home videos, which can be handled better in JRiver than MediaPortal.

For watching TV series or movies though, MediaPortal combined with MovingPictures and MP-TVSeries is miles ahead of JRiver.

Your mileage may vary of course...

And I would also argue that xbmc and boxee among others don't play dts hdma, just the core tracks. - MediaPortal plays DTS HDMA without any problem completely natively without any additional software.
...does it?

YES - I don't think linking to a thread that is 2 years old is a counter argument. I does very very well thank you.

You managed to completely avoid the point I made about having to spend $99 to get HD Audio to work, which makes using JRiver cost me $148 to get the same function that I have with MediaPortal for free.

Also, looking on the JRiver wiki, it says that you need to "to copy the "dtsdecoderdll.dll" from an installation of Arcsoft TMT", which means that you need to spend another $99 just to get HD Audio working (or break the law).

I am all up for a debate about which software brings which benefits (especially if it helps other users), but your argument style of just ignoring everyone else’s comments and just saying "JRiver is still loads better", is childish and not very constructive. If you work for JRiver and are trying to encourage people to try it, then this thread has convinced me to never try it to be honest. Sorry

P.S. I didn't mean a dual tuner card, I meant as I said, a single tuner. It can record the whole mux, so if you have a DVB-T2 card then it can record/timeshift/watch all UK HD channels simultaneously using the same card.

I am all up for a debate about which software brings which benefits (especially if it helps other users), but your argument style of just ignoring everyone else’s comments and just saying "JRiver is still loads better", is childish and not very constructive. If you work for JRiver and are trying to encourage people to try it, then this thread has convinced me to never try it to be honest. Sorry

That would be a shame.

As I've mentioned, JRiver has some very nice and unique features, its audio engine and handling of a very large database (>10,000 files) is second to none in my experience.

In no way is it a replacement for MediaPortal or XBMC (in my opinion) but then the two are completely different classes of software with different goals. As I said, I use both (My Programs plugin on MediaPortal to run JRiver if you're interested...) for different things.

Someday, someone will come up with something that combines all the great features of both into a single package, but sadly that hasn't happened yet. :(

robbo100 said:
YES - I don't think linking to a thread that is 2 years old is a counter argument. I does very very well thank you.

You managed to completely avoid the point I made about having to spend $99 to get HD Audio to work, which makes using JRiver cost me $148 to get the same function that I have with MediaPortal for free.

P.S. I didn't mean a dual tuner card, I meant as I said, a single tuner. It can record the whole mux, so if you have a DVB-T2 card then it can record/timeshift/watch all UK HD channels simultaneously using the same card.

Wideband tuner recording is a very cool feature.

I haven't ignored comments by others- a point by point analysis is anything but! Did you mean I missed a point??
The dll file for hd is available all over the web, including presumably in MP, as well as on avs forums and doom9. So any issue over $100 for Tmt is a non issue.

The suggestion that I'm childish makes me smile Read the rest of your paragraph!

as for MP natively playing hd audio, I must ask what driver options are available to get around k mixer that would work out of the box on any sound card.

Suggesting that I just state JRiver is better without justifying it is deluded. It is more than constructive enough for my needs. Which I think have just about been met now.

Jrmc is the best home theatre media player available.

The dll file for hd is available all over the web
Oh yes, TMT offer it as a free download on their website...... If it is available all over the web without needing to buy the actual product it must be legal!

Suggesting that I just state JRiver is better without justifying it is deluded
I couldn't agree with you more.

Jrmc is the best home theatre media player available.

An opinion, and one I would agree with - except you're putting it up against HTPC software, which JRMC cannot (nor will it ever) match. It just isn't what the software is about.

A more accurate comparison would be JRMC vs BSPlayer or JRMC vs WinAmp. Comparing it to MediaPortal and XBMC is like comparing apples and oranges. They're both fruit, but there the similarities end.

This thread just illustrates the concept of 'horses for courses'. Just like buying cars is a personal preference, then so is HTPC software, different things will suit different people. Some like to download something for free and enjoy the hours of fiddling to get it and various plugins and downloads just right for their situation. Others just want to download something and it just works with the minimum of effort (either free or bought).

I have toyed with the idea of a HTPC for a couple of years before taking the plunge about 9 months ago. I used to be an Apple fanboy and waited and waited for Apple to release the ultimate Mac Mini with Bluray support etc. I got tired of waiting, so built my own Win 7 machine!

Over the course of those few years I formed a good idea of what I actually wanted out of my HTPC and nothing seemed to perfectly fit the bill. Essentially my checklist consisted of :

A 10 foot UI that I or the missus could browse the media with basic metadata
A means of playing audio files 'bitperfect' ie. CD rips at 44.1 kHz, HD downloads at 88.2/96/176.4/192 at whatever bit depth without alteration. (I'm a bit of a perfectionist in terms of ripping my collection and wanting this bitperfect output)
A means of playing my video collection 'as the director intended' ie. Bitstream DTSMA/TrueHD, video playback at 23.976/24/50/59.96/60 Hz or whatever it is encoded at without alteration. In other words I wanted the software to switch video modes to suit the video automatically.
DVD playback and Bluray playback with full native menu support

So essentially a system that would be completely true to the original media. 9 months ago when I was setting the system up there wasn't an obvious candidate for all of these requirements. I wasn't particularly interested in TV at the time or I probably would have persevered with Mediaportal more. The best fit for me was definitely jRiver, especially for audio. Things may have moved on with XBMC and Mediaportal since then, but I haven't kept up with their changelog.

Now that I have bought a tuner card (combined DVB-S/DVB-T), I would like better TV support from jRiver which may or may not happen in the next few months.

SBR

oh, almost forgot. You don't need the arcsoft dll to bitstream DTSMA or TrueHD with LAV filters. You only need it if you want to decode the bitstream into PCM. I get the HD bitstream twinkly lights on my amp without the arcsoft dll with jriver.

SBR

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom