Jpn Xbox pads on US machine - No..

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by museumsteve, Feb 20, 2002.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,094
    courtesy of slider on nextgen board..

Sources from Microsoft's X-Box division and independent developers sent a number of e-mails to NCS yesterday after we posted our little FAQ. Unfortunately, Microsoft appears to have mandated that all USA X-Box software titles not recognize any controllers from other territories. Japanese controllers won't work with USA X-Box software.

This policy apparently extends from joypads to future joysticks from the usual suspects such as ASCII and Hori. When and if ASCII manufactures a Fighting Type pad/stick for the Japanese X-Box market, USA gamers won't be able to share in the love. There you have it. The first console to ever completely lock out import controllers. Bravo...
    "

Seems a bit high-handed to me, especially for those who preferred the look and feel of the Japanese pads. Fingers crossed that some US companies bring out pads based on the Japanese design...

2. JamesOD

JamesOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Steve have you tried playing with a U.K pad on a us machine I have used the Jap pad on a us console running Halo and Gotham and it works fine (this was in Advanced consoles in central london a few weeks ago) Advanced consoles also had official uk scarts as well.

£60 for the pad £50 for the scart cable and they were all proper MS advanced scarts not the hong kong rgb I have for £5.

I just hope the pad was not a early promo it was in full MS packaging though as I just ordered 2 from lik-sang

Jimmyo

3. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fifty quid for a scart cable? BLOODY HELL! Presumably it is gold plated...I mean solid gold, comes in a nice rosewood presentation case, is delivered to your door by Rolls Royce and is handed to you by Kylie Minogue. In the nude.

4. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A friend of mine has an imported US X-Box, and an imported X-Box 'mini-joypad' (from Japan), and the two seemed to work fine together when I popped over for a spot of Halo.

Nigel.

5. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jimmyo,

What exactly is an 'advanced scart' and how does it differ from your common or garden Hong Kong RGB? Or is this Microsofts early April Fool joke, no difference and £45 more expensive! Nice one Billy boy.

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,094
    okay,
    firstly it seems the story was incorrect and there should be no problems with compatibility,
    Advanced Scart lead (official) has optical output included for DD connection. HK scarts dont..
    and the official UK price will be £19.99 but the ones on offer now are fairly sought after, hence the price hike by the retailers (not controlled by MS)..

7. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a HK version with a digital out too, although they're rarer than hen's teeth at the moment.

8. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    IS there places other than Advance Consoles that have the advance Scart pack instock and are selling it cheaper than £50?

9. Malachi

Malachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has been confirmed by many online gaming news sites (including IGN) that Japenese XBOX controllers work fine on US consoles with US games.