1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JPEG slideshow - new DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jacksoag, Nov 26, 2004.

1. jacksoag

jacksoag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wanting to buy a DVD Recorder (for the first time) that will be able to allow jpeg files (from a digital camera) to be shown as a slide show from a CD.
    Seems to me that there are not many Recorders out there that can do this - any recommendations please - as well as any to stay away from!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Panasonic E65, Panasonic E95 and Panasonic E500 all allow you to copy JPEGs from a Digital Camera solid memory Card either via the SD Card slot or via the PC slot with a suitable adaptor. Pics can be deleted, copied, moved etc and viewed in Slideshows. The new Samsung HR700 also allow this - and has a Multi-Card reader - but nobody has yet used one on the board and certainly I haven't seen any reviews yet...

3. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer 420/520/720 DVR's will all handle your digital camera jpg's from off your cd's with no problem,and will also play your own recorded audio cd's.I have just purchased a Pioneer 520,and find it exceptionally easy to use in all of these ways.
    This is my first venture into dvd's and I highly recommend these machines to any newbie like myself.Transferring from vhs tapes to dvd-r is just so simple.
    Regards.dakara

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    As do Toshiba, JVC, some Sony models etc

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you write JPEGs to CD on your PC make sure the JPEGs are in Baseline mode, not Progressive. No difference in quality - Progressives are supposed to display more 'pleasingly' on a PC as they display the image in stages of increasing detail rather than a single top-to-bottom scan. See http://www.faqs.org/faqs/jpeg-faq/part1/section-11.html
    PC photo applications may offfer Progressive as an output option (e.g. Photoshop).
    All JPEGs from cameras are Baseline as far as I know..

6. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Eddyad,
    Nice advice

7. Mar©

Mar©

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I can help a little:

My Panasonic has a Sd slot and a PCMCIA-slot.

With PCMCIA-adapters you can nearly read any type of card.

I tested it with a compact flash card from a Canon Ixus V - I set the slideshow to 0 seconds, because I wanted to see if there is any delay between reading and viewing.

The Ixus V is a 2 megapixel camera and all of the JPGS appeared on my TV screen IMMEDIATELY.

I preformed the same test wit a IBM microdrive, out of my Canon Eos 1D Mark II -this is a 8 megapixelcamera, so he file were much larger.

Now it took about 30 seconds to build up such a image completely...

So I would suggest, if you have a > than 2 megapixelcamera, it is best to resize the files first.

I also plugged in a 4 GB IBM (made by Hitachi) microdrive, and the panny also accepted this card !!! :smashin:

8. BillBailey

BillBailey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mar can you tell where you got your adaptor from. All my usual sources seem to be out of stock. I need to be able to read microdrive and memory stock, although I have an adaptor for the latter.

I have an E500 on its way to me as well as a bright new plasma. Is it easy to set up the E500 do a slideshow of jpegs stored on the hdd?

9. almanzor46

almanzor46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very new in the forum, my english is very poor and I do not know if this thread is the adequate to propose the following question:

Last week I got a Panasonic E95 and slide show from Compact flash card (using PCMCIA adapter) is very very good. Quite better than the image directly provided by the digital camera. Following the not so clear Operating Instruction Manual I don't arrive to record the card jpeg folder on to the HDD. Please somebody could help me?

Thanks in advance

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    You need to use the 'Copy' option. With the card insterted goto 'Functions', 'JPEGS' and select 'COPY ALL'. You can then choose between copying to the HDD or DVD-RAM.

11. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Warning. Over mentioned units DO NOT read jpgs from (recorded ) CD .

12. brownrog

brownrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other warning (relates to photo view on Pioneer recorders).

The facility will not display .JPG images from a CD that are in "portrait" aspect rather than "landscape" (in other words any you have taken that are "upright" so to speak). It displays an error message when it encouters one of these.

Portrait format images have usually been rotated 90 degrees (from landscape to portrait) in the camera for display, or may have been rotated in the import or editing software.

The Pioneer photo viewer has its own rotate facility so the workaround for this is to ensure all images are stored in landscape. The "upright" ones will appear on their side, but will display just fine and can then be rotated as they appear in the slide show from the Pioneer. But you do need to know that before you burn the CD!

Not sure if the other products have this quirk.

13. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I can'r reproduce this problem at all.

A portrait from a camera naturally displays on it side if it hasn't been corrrected before burning to CD, but as you say the Pioneer Rotate deals with this (but it can takes 3 gos because it may go to upside down first. I wish it went in the other direction - depends how the camera was held though)

1. If I have a portrait format JPEG the Pioneer fills the TV height with the image and I get wide black bands down the sides.

2. If I view a pic which I have rotated from a camera source to an 'upright' JPEG using the PC (Photoshop Elements) it works as above.

I discussed this before with someone before and suggested they might inadvertantly be saving JPEGs as Progressive rather than Baseline. The Pioneer won't display Progressives (see my earlier post).

I just took a random digital camera pic (Nikon Coolpix) and burned it and a 90 degree rotated version to a CD-RW and they are both OK. Both versions displays as burned and can be rotated. Interestingly, returning to the thumbnail shows the mode last viewed.

The rule is that the pic is expanded/reduced by the 420 until all of it is visible on the TV in the correct proportions, with the apporpriate black bands. So 4:3 have a narrow black band each side, 3:4 a wide one and 2:1 a narrow one top an bottom.

What is the source of your non-displayable portrait JPEG Roger?