1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JPEG Loss of Quality

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dazmcc, Jun 3, 2005.

1. dazmcc

dazmcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I am starting to shoot in RAW, I have hundreds of images that were saved as JPEGs straight from my camera. Many of these still need some post shot processing. Am I right in believing that if I open up the JPEG and edit it I will lose quality if I then save it as a JPEG again.
    What is the best way to avoid this? Should I convert the JPEGs to a format such as Photoshop PSD when I load them on my PC, then edit, then save as a JPEG once all editing is completed or is there a better way.
    Thanks

2. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    All post processing is in someway destructive to the original data...it's one of the argument for using RAW then doing as much in PS in 16bit before finally converting to 8bit Jpeg.

As to whether post processing a Jpeg and saving in Jpeg with minimal compression noticeably worse than saving as an 8bit Tiff i'm not sure, i doubt they'd noticeable in the final print. You could easily just try this yourself save in multiple formats and see if you can notice any difference, surely the most important thing.

3. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Personally I convert to TIFF straight away. You can then edit to your hearts content without any loss then.

4. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Open them as they are, edit if needed and then save as Tiff and they'll be fine :smashin:

5. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

Me to, I convert from raw strait to tiff. There bigger files and so keep more of the information.

ASH1

6. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    My understanding is that edits/manipulations made on a 16bit file still result in data "loss"... you've just got more of a window than when performing the same manipulations on the equivalent 8bit file. Similarly TIFF is lossless but only when saving.