Jpeg and Kodak Compatibility

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Garrett, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    If a DVD states that it will play jpeg disc does this mean it will play Kodak disc?

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Nope. Different formats: JPEG and Kodak PhotoCD that is.

Arcams play both, don't know much about other players. I'm sure someone more informed will tell you if their favourite range of players can.

StooMonster

3. seamansam

seamansam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The latest Denon DVD2900 plays jpegs & kodak photo cds.
    Cheers,
    Seamansam:D

4. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    StooMonster,

I have the 88+ and had my holiday photos put on to CD by Jessops. They are just stored as jpegs under a directory on the CD.

Should the player be able to read and browse to the relevant directory or should the jpegs be at root level (the player came up with a disk error when I put it in).

Thanks
    Mike

5. crash

crash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you might be referring to Picture CDd which is the successor to Photo CD. They are totally different systems in that Photo CD requires a player with the software built in and Picture CD has the software on the disc allowing it be run on most computers and some DVD players.
    Picture CD also uses a very low res image compared to Photo CD

6. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I have is a CD with Fuji film picture viewer software (bit like slideshow software). The images are stored in 2 directories, one with lo-res images and one with hi-res images (1280x???).

The images are just jpeg files, nothing proprietary about them. So from StooMonsters comment I was wondering how my Arcam can display them.

7. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crash, thanks so much for that post. I thought I was going crazy as I found the resolutions so low on all the photo cd's that I had developed. Must have been the picture cd format, personally I do not think it is worth the 'cd' it is written on in such low resolution. Although I have it done through a Kodak lab.....

PS The Limit 9900SE is playing it with no problem and contains a little directory browser....

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Thank for the replies I think I will go for a DVD player that states that it will run Kodak.