1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JP1 Question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by GreenBars, Dec 13, 2004.

1. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I guess this is really addressed to The Robman seeing as he is the expert.

Robman, I'd like to try using JP1 on my second generation Kameleon 6 (URC-8260), however looking through JP1 related stuff it all seems to require the use of Excel, which I don't have (or intend to get). I've heard about a group trying to use Java instead - do you know about this and if so, is it at a state where it is usable.

I did hear that the URC-8260 wasn't JP1 compatiable, however it does have the 6-pin connector in the battery compartment............

Help would be much appreciated.

(Anyone noticed how these second gen Kameleons get filthy real quick?)

2. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We developed a program called RM (Remote Master) quite a while ago, which is the Java program you heard about. It doesn't quite do everything that KM (the Excel version) does, but it probably does everything you would need.

However, the new breed of Kameleons use a completely different processor setup than any of the current JP1 remotes, so at this time they are not JP1 compatible.

If you want the technical details: the current remotes use EEPROMs to store the temporary data and this is what we read and write to in the JP1 world. The processor itself is a Samsung S3C8. The new remotes use a Motorola/Freescale HCS08 chip which has flash memory onboard that is available to be used. The new 6-pin connectors are connected to this flash memory. We will need new software and new JP1 cables to be able to use the new 6-pin conenctors, but first we'll need to reverse engineer how to communicate with it.

3. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Cheers for the info Robman.

I look forward to being able to use the results of your labour.

4. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll just be coordinating the effort, I won't be the one actually doing the reverse engineering myself. The guys doing the real work will probably be people like Tommy Tyler (our hardware expert) and Mike England (our Motorola 6805 expert).

In the meantime, you might want to snap up all the older style OFA remotes while you still can.

Just FYI, the new American OFA Kameleon (the B01 version of the URC-9960) has much better battery useage than the B00 version and it uses the S3C8/EEPROM combo, so it's JP1 compatible. It also comes with 4k of memory just like the URC-8060 Kameleon.