Joytech Advanced scart problems - X Box

Shady Deal

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Bought the above lead for my X-Box some time ago. Am only using it on a small portable at the moment. When using the above lead the picture (I think the lead outputs RGB, also has the function forr DD sound) the picture is very dark. If I up the brightness etc the picture is full of noise and sometimes on the X Box menu you can see scrolling bars moving across the screen.

I have used the same box/lead on my rear pro Tv (Tosh) and the picture did seem dark but I never tried to turn up the brightness in case of screen burn.

However, if I use the normal lead that comes with the xbox all these problems go away on the portable and the picture is much brighter.

I guess on a portable it does not matter too much but is still puzzling why this lead has such a bad effect on the picture?

Anyone else had these problems?

Is it possible to cut the pins so the lead only outputs RGB not composite aswell?

Thanks

No its not possible to remove the composite as RGB uses it for sync.
Possibilities include crosstalk from the RF tuner stage into the AV input in the TV. Try tuning to a dead/black channel on the TV before switching over to the AV input. Also you could try snipping pin19 on the xbox scart at the TV end.

Thanks for that.
Nothing is plugged into the RF socket and when I manually select the EXT1 (Scart) the screen is black. The picture noise etc only happens when the Xbox is then pwered on.

I just don't understand why the crosstalk etc doesn't happen when using the lead/scart adaptor that came with the box??

Regards

I assume the Scart socket on the 'small portable' is RGB capable?

Also, some TV's (even modern) suffer from darkened/dull RGB images, the JVC 28R25 being a good example...

And isn't the Jopytech 'Advanced' scart cable only around £8? I believe the official X-Box RGB scart lead (£20) gives extremely good results...

Originally posted by newsposts
Thanks for that.
Nothing is plugged into the RF socket and when I manually select the EXT1 (Scart) the screen is black. The picture noise etc only happens when the Xbox is then powered on.

I just don't understand why the crosstalk etc doesn't happen when using the lead/scart adaptor that came with the box??

Regards

Composite although not very good quality is a more robust signal. RGB is far more prone to crosstalk : its not even down to the lead normally it the TV.

Don't switch over to ext1 manually the TV probably needs the RGB signalling to correctly set itself.

Are you sure the lead is RGB capable?

A lot of the problems relate to the tv itself as stated....using rgb scart on my tv gives an excellent picture...but too dark...and when you increase brightness...ghosting/cross talk issue reveals itself.
Am presently using rgb scart cables on both x box and gamecube into non rgb scart sockets...picture isnt as good ( 85 percent as good...still excellent..but not a rich )......but am still using the rgb scart cables as they are far better quality than the composite ones supplied....

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, the lead was more expensive because it includes the Digital Sound lead and is therefore not just a scart to scart lead.

Yes it is supposed to be RGB but I do think the fault lies with the TV although according to the TV manual it should take RGB ok.

The manual makes no mention of the scart being s-video compatable as I would rather like to use that, but I could by an adaptor to go on the S-video x-box lead I already have but could end up with a black and white picture if the scart doesn't support it? (Tv was a new Philips 14PT1686 model in May this year). I think the manual says something like "Scart supports CVBS/RGB so am I correct in thinking that s- video inputs will not work??

Regards
Mark

Originally posted by newsposts
I think the manual says something like "Scart supports CVBS/RGB so am I correct in thinking that s- video inputs will not work??

Regards
Mark

The TV will not accept s-video through its scart. You'll get black and white

I have the same problem with my Sony 28" widescreen, it does it with my Ps2 & Xbox, so unless the Ps2 suffers the same problem with RGB & Xbox does, its the TV ?.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom