Joytech 540C Component Switch

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by betty02, Sep 9, 2007.

1. betty02

betty02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey all im looking at investing into this nice little pices of kit, my home cinema isn't much of a home cinema, its my bedroom, only 18 so can't afford to much gear as im pushed for space, i currently use a BenQ MP610 Multimedia Projector as my TV pointed on spare space on my back wall, its about 50", and i also have a drop down screen which i use for movies which pushes my TV size up to around the 300" mark, i have plugged into that my freeview box (i have no TV bear in mind) and i hav my DVD player, and my Wii plugged into that, i have a PC which is also plugged in but i have to keep unplugging and plugging wires, im after an mac mini and apple tv for my set-up shotly, so anyways im after a component switcher, i saw this one here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk was wondering if its worth it a few questions

1. Is it worth the money?
    2.Is it more then just good looking?
    3.can i change were it sais XBOX 360 to whatever i want?
    4.RJ-45 Ports what is there exact use?
    Thanks in advance people!

2. pixelpidgeon

pixelpidgeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    ive heard it does a good job. heard there maybe ap roblem with wii's. bust that they can send you a wigit to resolve this if you experience it.

Id buy direct from joytech It's available for £45 using voucher TPD-OCT2006.

link: http://www.joytechstore.net/Control-Center-540C_p_154-1880.html

free delivery too :smashin:

also i hear that you get the component xbox360 cable with it too.

cheers, pixel

3. betty02

betty02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    See as much as i would love to order it with them all my money is in paypal and its a b!tch to transfer it to my bank and then back again lol, but any ideas on if they send the wigit and what it does like? and weather i cna change the screen text and what exactly my ethernet port is for, think in the long run i may wel be better ordering straight from them but will have to wait alot longer for money to transfer etc :(

4. pixelpidgeon

pixelpidgeon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    £10 cheaper give or take 5p. i think its worth the wait. not too long though, incase the offer ends. but it looks like its a general price drop. maybe they have a new model (hdmi) on the way. who knows..

i believ that if you own a wii, and experience problems, you just have to contact them via email or phone, and they will send you the widget free of charge.

regarding he name changes, im not 100% certain, but believ you can rename all the inputs. im sure theres something about it on the net somewhere. do a search on google. cheers,

5. betty02

betty02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK cheers mate think im going to get one may swell going to need one, and then ring up straight away and say im having problems, even if i dont just so its there incase, i wasn't able to find anywere about the renamin unfortinatly which is kinda putting me off, i managed to find that theres only problems with certain wii connections not the ones shipped with the wii which is all goodfor me!

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    The RJ-45 is another name for an Ethernet cable.

It is there as the Joytech box also works as an Ethernet hub (which is not as good as a Ethernet switch) meaning you can connect your Xbox360, hard connect your Wii (meaning not Wi-Fi) and PC to Joytech and have all the connections accessing the internet at the same time.

The Xbox360 propriety connection from what I have read is simply a composite connection.

To get the best out of the Xbox360 you need to connect it via Component or VGA therefore ignore that propriety connection and connect the 360 to one of the components.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,523
    Hello betty02

The 'Feedback' on this switch seems to vary dramatically depending on what Source you are using and what size of image you are Displaying.

Ensure you give it a good workout when it arrives.

Joe

8. RMGEE

RMGEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    I had one of these and there are problems with the Wii and PS3 using component, on mine the picture kept dropping and then going all scrambled.

Joytech have released an adaptor to fix the issue but it does make the picture quite dull.

There are people that have had no problems at all with it, I think it may depend on your screen.

Rich

9. blisteringblue

blisteringblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thought I'd post my feedback on them seeing I just bought one (scan.co.uk are selling them for £41 or else I might not have bothered)

They are not as bad as people make out. The 1st things you need to know are:

1. The 360 special cable they give you is tosh, picture is bad and you will have a nightmare routing 5.1 optical from it.
    2. The "free" component cable they give you is possibly the worst ever so put it in the bin.

That aside, if you use it with good quality component cables from the 540c to your TV, and use the original MS 360 Component cable the results are quite good I think.

My personal view is you are compromising on your picture quality anyway when you don't use VGA on the 360. Unfortunately I've just got the HD-DVD for the 360 and I get picture judder via VGA so have had to go down component which I need to share with my Original XBOX for XBMC (using Monster Component Cables).

Plus the 5 port hub is a bonus as I use Ethernet for both my Xbox Versions so no more swapping of those cables either.

There are some horror reviews about it (for the wii especially) but I guess I am lucky (or my eyesight needs checking ;)), but I would not pay much more than £40 for one.

10. Festerfly

Festerfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Blistering Blue - Would you recommend this unit then? Especially for the budget concious amongst us? i am vey tempted by it and keep reading mixed reviews but it seems to mainly be Wii or Cable related. Im notexpecting Pin sharp putput and would be purchasing it at the same time asupgrade from an SD to an LCD TV so im guessing that its going to be an improvement anyway! :D

I also need to connect the following:

Sony PS2
    XBox1
    Sony PSX (JAP -NTSC Unit)
    Sony PS3 (JAP - NTSC Unit)
    Xbox360

plus what ever else i can find! :D Hopefully a Wii at a later date, hence the appeal of it...

11. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    IIRC the 245c was the one that works with the wii. There are some compatibility issues. I got a Zektor unit from tmfsolutions for work and it works a treat. Do a search on wii component switchbox etc. and I'm sure the threads/posts will turn up with the answer.