joystiq analyse impact of PS3 and Xbox 360 external HD DVD drive on the sale of discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

StooMonster

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/16/high-def-dvds-and-the-console-wars/

Gamers do not care about HD movies

"While high-def movie supporters everywhere are looking to Sony and Microsoft to finally propel their new formats into wide acceptance, the early sales numbers seem to indicate that, so far, consumers are buying game systems for the games and not for 1080p movies. This could all change in the future, of course, but right now there's every reason to expect regular old DVDs to continue their dominance for a good long while." concludes the article.

Quelle suprise! :rolleyes:

StooMonster

TarMoo

There is a huge difference between the use of a video game and a DVD. A popular game will be used hundreds of times, whereas an average DVD will be viewed once or twice. The cost of a geme may be justified, but the cost of a High Definition DVD probably isn't for a cash strapped youth.

XBox 360 and PS3 will be bought primarily by spotty teenagers who are not that interested in HD. They are probably more interested in the film content than how it is presented. As such they would undoubtedly buy 2 cheaper SD DVDs rather then one expensive HD DVD/DB.

I find it strange that a site with an article should have more bearing on any particular matter than the judgements on these forums. When I see a link, it genarally agrees with the threads that you read on here. Yes, the links are interesting, but are too often used as 'EVIDENCE' in any particular matter.

Anyway.. I agree with the link, and I think that most people already said the same thing.

StooMonster

joystiq is quite a well known blog, rather than a discussion forum like AVforums. It's likely to have more hits globally than any any thread here.

It doesn't have more bearing than any discussion here, it had some data; and personally I think it's more courteous to link to articles on their site (so authors get advertising revenue) than it is to cut and paste wholesale.

StooMonster

peper

Standard Member
Source: High-def DVDs and the console wars - Joystiq

Gamers do not care about HD movies

"While high-def movie supporters everywhere are looking to Sony and Microsoft to finally propel their new formats into wide acceptance, the early sales numbers seem to indicate that, so far, consumers are buying game systems for the games and not for 1080p movies. This could all change in the future, of course, but right now there's every reason to expect regular old DVDs to continue their dominance for a good long while." concludes the article.

Quelle suprise! :rolleyes:

StooMonster
PPl always told that bluray was like sony minidisk, few sales, couple of people using them and then caput....
this time the story was different lots of people are now buying bluray players and sure the DVD will last for a long time but when people realize that the bluray is not that expensive and the quality is really superior perhaps they will stop buying/renting DVD's like me :)

Bald Monkey

Novice Member
:eek: I'lll close this very old thread now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom