Joss Stone - Soul Sessions

pwiles1968

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got this, Katie Melua, Amy Winehouse and the New Nora Jones, I received the Joss Stone a day before the others and listened to it about Four times I rarely like a whole album on the first listen but this was great:D , unfortunately it put the others in the shade a bit they will take a couple of listens to get into which will take a while as Joss is back on again I can not believe she is only 16 what a Voice. If you like the others on the list you will love this. :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

She's from up the road from me too.

Didn't she cover that White Stripes song?

Fell in Love with a Boy, I don’t have any white stripes stuff (so many good bands so little money:( ) so not that familiar with the original, I think a lot of the songs on the album are covers.

The White Stripes version is called 'Fell In Love With A Girl', but she sings the same lyrics otherwise.

It's a shame really, she's a great voice but seems like little more than a karaoke singer, soul style. Hopefully she'll write more stuff for her second album, or write all of it!

Karaoke singer is a bit harsh, I do not actually recognise any of the material if they are all covers possibly the way they are performed I suppose, there are plenty of good artists who have done covers and some artists who do covers and butcher them in the process (FIRE :devil: ), anyway it is on again and I still like it and that voice can only get better.

Just listening to the album at the moment while revising for my finals (hence why i'm on here :devil: ).

She has a hell of a voice, quite amazing and certainly better than all the other generic teen and twenty something female solo artists. She didn't write a single song on the album however, but you can't take anything away from that voice!

Got this today but haven't had a chance to give it a proper listen yet.

Amazing voice and fit too :D

Originally posted by lentini
Got this today but haven't had a chance to give it a proper listen yet.

Amazing voice and fit too :D

And 16 :devil:

02-joss-music.jpg

:lease:

Originally posted by Games Guru
Just listening to the album at the moment while revising for my finals (hence why i'm on here :devil: ).

She has a hell of a voice, quite amazing and certainly better than all the other generic teen and twenty something female solo artists. She didn't write a single song on the album however, but you can't take anything away from that voice!

Is that a retraction of the karaoke singer comment??

Still listening to this album a lot, as I am more than twice her age and happily married I can honestly say that I had not thought of this fine young lady in any inappropriate way, honestly. :)

Partly. The fact that the album are all covers, and there is no original material by anyone on there is a bit miffing, especially as the cd is titled Joss Stone , which implies that it is her material, if you see what I mean. I don't mind singers not writing any material if they are simply a member of a band, and eg the guitarist writes the songs. But it just is this new fad of all the focus on supposed "solo" artists who have no musical talent per se, just a great voice. She is releasing her own album this year, so I gather and there will be her own material on that. Hopefully it will be interesting and I will gladly fully retract the "karaoke" statement then!

:smashin:

pwiles are you sure you have not been following me and buying every CD I buy :laugh:

The Joss Stone all covers yes, karaoke no way. The white strips cover it total different, joss sings it much much slower than Jack White.

Having just been Katie, Norah and Amy gig in the last few weeks, I must say Katie has a stunning voice and really can sing live, Norah is much better live than on the CD she seems to have a bigger range and more emotion in the songs when done live (and she really is cute), and Amy did a VERY jazz version of her set and only on for about an hour, still a good gig, all seen in Manchester.

blimey.. just bought these albums myself also..

Katie - absolutely stunning voice, just how good is 'faraway voice' played loud :clap:

Norah - both albums top dollar, just as good as Katie but in a different way,
says a lot about production influence I suppose, 'haunting' versus 'close'...
'haunting' always wins for me..

Amy - I find Amy a bit annoying somehow.. one listen was enough for me..

Joss - Great voice, very average album. Hope her own songs do justice to her singing talent, totally agree with the 'kareoke' comment from earlier...
You can tell she's 16 and singing somebody else's lyrics IMO, she just not into 'her' songs like Katie and Norah are..

Cant wait to see Katie perform live... gonna be the high point of my year I reckon..

Have you guys got any Diana Krall? I have ‘Look of Love’ and will be getting a few more of her albums when I have some cash, If you like all of the above artists you should try one of her albums I guarantee you will not be disappointed. :thumbsup:

I am also struggling with the Amy Winehouse, I still think it is a good album but not for everyday she sits under Macy Gray in my CD Rack.

Glad that I wasn't the only one that couldn't get to grips with Amy Winehouse.

One CD that I'd urge anyone to at least listen to is Willis - 'Come Get Some'. It's one of the best CD's I've bought in ages, and not too unlike much of the music diccussed in this thread. You can download some of the tracks on her site;
http://www.willismusic.co.uk

Just got the Joss Stone album loving every minuite of it
as for all tracks being covers this could be due to this being her first release in the UK. And the covers just being used to give her a footing and get the name about in the UK im sure the best is yet to come from her. I think she was launched into the Us market at some point last year. As for the kararoke comment I can understand this as you have just removed ya boyzone and steps from ya CD player :rotfl: :oops:

Pwiles.. I've got all the Diana Krall I could get my hands on.. :)

Every single one is a cracker..

'live in paris' should be at the very top of your shopping list..

'Crouching tiger' or whatever your name is.. you've been overdoing the Xbox matey... get some sleep.. ;)

Oops.. that should have been 'Night in Paris' (live)

If you're a fan of Katie Melua and Diana Krall, Alison Krauss will probably hit the spot too ;)

I tell the folk at work, what the last album or gig I went to and they look at me with blank faces. The normal comment is WHO?

How I find a group of music lovers who like Everthing I do :clap:

Diana Krall : A Night In Paris (Special Edition)
Love Scenes
The Girl In The Other Room
The Look Of Love

Allison Krauss just has a perfect voice, the song New Favourite is stunning, and the live album is very good. One word of warning some may not like the instrmentals with Union Station.

Just ordered my ticket for Mindy Simth in Manchester at the end of july, according to ticketmaster I have ticket 001, gee I hope someone else out there likes her too. Three days later it Gillian Welch in concert, what a week that will be.

Not heard any Mindy Smith yet.. looks like that will soon be changing!

Cheers for the heads up :)

supposed "solo" artists who have no musical talent per se, just a great voice. She is releasing her own album this year, so I gather and there will be her own material on that. Hopefully it will be interesting and I will gladly fully retract the "karaoke" statement then!

A great voice is a musical talent. Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Dusty Springfield and Aretha Franklin to name but four were not composers but are still musical legends. Do they rate as "karaoke singers" in your book?

There's a world of difference between an interpreter of someone else's work and a karaoke singer.

Many people fall into the trap of assuming that the original is sacrosanct and any cover version is inferior. Ever heard Otis Redding's original "Respect"? The Aretha Franklin cover knocks it for six. Or Joe Cocker's cover of "With a Little Help From My Friends"? Or The Beatles cover of "Twist and Shout"? Or the Beach Boys cover of "Sloop John B"? Or Miles Davis' covers of practically anything? Musical history is full of superior cover versions that improve on the original.

Singers like Joss Stone and Diana Krall are valid musical talents whether they ever compose a note or not.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom