Jordan Peele's The Twilight Zone Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I watched the first 3 episodes in one go and it’s pretty good but sadly like many programmes these days the story telling comes with a dose of woke preaching.

What’s woke.

I doubt that the people who criticise 'wokeness' even know what it actually means. :rolleyes:

Ok, so I watched the first episode, the Nightmare at 30,000 feet, and i'm sorry but it was rubbish! Very poorly executed and the end was just completely unbelievable. Apparently, it's a remake of an original episode in the old series based on what my girlfriend said, and she said that there are all sorts of references to that episode, which, I think is unfair as there are many viewers who won't be familiar with that.

I really hope that this doesn't set the tone for the rest of the season because I just won't bother otherwise.

Such a shame, I actually liked the 2002 Forrest Whittaker tv show so was expecting something as fun as that. Maybe i've been too spoilt by Black Mirror?

I doubt that the people who criticise 'wokeness' even know what it actually means. :rolleyes:

Ok, so I watched the first episode, the Nightmare at 30,000 feet, and i'm sorry but it was rubbish! Very poorly executed and the end was just completely unbelievable. Apparently, it's a remake of an original episode in the old series based on what my girlfriend said, and she said that there are all sorts of references to that episode, which, I think is unfair as there are many viewers who won't be familiar with that.

I really hope that this doesn't set the tone for the rest of the season because I just won't bother otherwise.

Such a shame, I actually liked the 2002 Forrest Whittaker tv show so was expecting something as fun as that. Maybe i've been too spoilt by Black Mirror?
It is a remake William Shatner played the main role and it was also remade in the film omnibus and was the last in the 4 stories with John Lithgow taking over the role. I much prefer Shatners.

Though the full 60s was on youtube or somewhere but can't find it, probably diapered in the Twilight Zone.

I always though the series was on the dark side with most of the endings, ending up not in the best way for the main character.

Quote from a post on IMDB from episode Time Enough At Last.
Sometimes the Twilight Zone episodes reminded its viewers of a world in which unjust and unbearably cruel things happen, for no good reason, to people who have done nothing to deserve them, and the miraculous remains absent.

Yes, the "Nightmare" story is probably the most well-known Twilight Zone story there is.

Watched the first two. Don't see where the woke comment comes from, but thought they were only OK. Main feeling was that they should have been a tight 30 mins - they feel stretched out

Yes, the "Nightmare" story is probably the most well-known Twilight Zone story there is.
I agree, it's the one I always think of when TZ is mentioned.

Watched the first two. Don't see where the woke comment comes from, but thought they were only OK. Main feeling was that they should have been a tight 30 mins - they feel stretched out
To Serve Man was an other well known one and turned up in The Simpsons.

As for The Twilight Zone, this isn't available in the UK anywhere, so how is anyone here seeing it?
The tag on the review says 'Sky' - so guess on there? I've not checked myself.

Edit: Yeah it is:

1582810150170.png

It is a remake William Shatner played the main role and it was also remade in the film omnibus and was the last in the 4 stories with John Lithgow taking over the role. I much prefer Shatners.

Though the full 60s was on youtube or somewhere but can't find it, probably diapered in the Twilight Zone.

I always though the series was on the dark side with most of the endings, ending up not in the best way for the main character.

Quote from a post on IMDB from episode Time Enough At Last.
Sometimes the Twilight Zone episodes reminded its viewers of a world in which unjust and unbearably cruel things happen, for no good reason, to people who have done nothing to deserve them, and the miraculous remains absent.

I see. Those two versions actually sound quite interesting, i'm particularly interested in the John Lithgow version as i'm big fan of his, though I will of course check out the Shatner version as it's the original.

What’s woke.
Further to the above it now generally used to describe pretentiousness and preachiness, altering classic stories to fit in with modern sensativaties.
e.g. this has been classed as some as a woke episode of Dr Who about Praxeus there were lots of complaints about it preaching about plastic waste.
Something a snowflake would get up to.

Although originally meant Quote :
alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
"we need to stay angry, and stay woke"

As for The Twilight Zone, this isn't available in the UK anywhere, so how is anyone here seeing it?

Magic. Essentially, the way we're watching it could itself be a Twilight Zone episode.

I see. Those two versions actually sound quite interesting, i'm particularly interested in the John Lithgow version as i'm big fan of his, though I will of course check out the Shatner version as it's the original.

The Shatner episode is an all-time classic TV episode in general, not just among Twilight Zone episodes.

The two reviewed and further to the original ending
The flight of Mr. Robert Wilson has ended now, a flight not only from point A to point B, but also from the fear of recurring mental breakdown. Mr. Wilson has that fear no longer... though, for the moment, he is, as he has said, alone in this assurance. Happily, his conviction will not remain isolated too much longer, for happily, tangible manifestation is very often left as evidence of trespass, even from so intangible a quarter as the Twilight Zone.

Warning Spoilers

The thing I'll miss is the bit at the end of every episode where the announcer would say "And now: Mister Serling!"

Do they do that for Jordan Peele?

The original 60s Twilight Zone is one of my all time favourite TV shows with some excellent stories and some great actors playing the parts. Episodes like 'The Monsters are due on Maple Street' and 'Next Stop Willoughby' are some of the best classic TV ever (IMO of course :)).

The reboot (can't remember if that was late 80's or 90's) was a poor copy so I don't hold much hope for this version.

The original 60s Twilight Zone is one of my all time favourite TV shows with some excellent stories and some great actors playing the parts. Episodes like 'The Monsters are due on Maple Street' and 'Next Stop Willoughby' are some of the best classic TV ever (IMO of course :)).

The reboot (can't remember if that was late 80's or 90's) was a poor copy so I don't hold much hope for this version.
That version ran mid 80s to 89, it looked to be on a smaller budget or the original used better camera work, the 80s almost look like plays and may have even been recorded on video. Some of the stories were OK but generally poor if you want a better reboot of the original look to the reboot of The Outer Limits which were more in that area than its own original series.

The thing I'll miss is the bit at the end of every episode where the announcer would say "And now: Mister Serling!"

Do they do that for Jordan Peele?
Don't think they do but I only lasted the first few episodes it was that bad, Peele just comes off as a total wet fart compared to the wonderful cool chain-smoking charisma that Serling held.

Its total trash and he is a total racist.

He got lucky with Get Out, the rest of the stuff hes touched isn't any good.

Bad white people bad!!!!!!!!

Watched a few episodes and that was enough.

For me it failed from the very first moments. The fellow who introduces it is devoid of any of the qualities the original had. Whether that's because he just can't act or because The Twilight Zone was such a new thought provoking concept, I don't know.

Like so many modern movies, tv series the standard set of 'obligotories' (if there's such a word) are all there, am sure its only a matter of time before an episode will feature gays or lesbians regardless of the actual necessity.

Typically directed at an audience with a mental capacity of somewhere between 7 - 11.

And of course, lets not forget to include the embarassingly obvious 'Moral of the Story',

Ultimately it fails in that it is the opposite of the original series, which left the viewer digging deep into their imagination, it prompted questions, am sure it inspired many authors and movie makers. This new series does none of that.

The scores on the doors - Thus far - 3.4/10

Last edited:
Perfect track for the first episode.
PWEI - Nightmare At 20000 feet

If I ever get my hands on the FSOAB who built that F plane I'll rip his God damn F face off

Watched episode 1. Almost impossible to enjoy due to the number of ad breaks. (Sky on demand)

Just starting this now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom