Jools Holland - poor picture?

wozwebs

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone watch Jools Holland's Hootenany last night? Thought the picture on HD was very poor. Very blocky with many artifacts.

Just got a 37" samsung LCD yesterday and can't say i'm too impressed with it as yet. Also have an Hitachi HD Ready projector which is fine.

Xbox stuff looks great so I wonder if it's my HDMI cable? The one I have is 10m as I run it to the PJ. Should I try a shorter one?

Was doing a bit of channel flicking last night and even the wife metioned how poor the picture was for JH!

Picture was fine on my set,but when I watched it this morning about 2-3 times for 3-4 seconds the picture and sound went blank, this was in the first 30 mins or so, any one else have this problem.

Picture was fine on my set,but when I watched it this morning about 2-3 times for 3-4 seconds the picture and sound went blank, this was in the first 30 mins or so, any one else have this problem.

Yes the start of the programme picture kept going black, it was the same with concert for diana which was unwatchable

Thanks Lorrich glad you had the same problem too,at least we know it's not our equipment on the way out.:)

Thanks Lorrich glad you had the same problem too,at least we know it's not our equipment on the way out.:)

I recorded it and its same with the recording, so its the signal in and not the tv panel

I thought it looked pretty good and actually quite enjoyed it :oops:

Unfortunately (or fortunately as it seems) I went to bed early. However my kids told me about the show last night but it wasn't just the visual quality they commented on. Apparently it was pre-recorded in November and it was made even more funny using the pause function to look at people's watches - all displaying different times to the 'real' time-line.

Talk about deceiving the public not HD and not real either.

Uncle H

Unfortunately (or fortunately as it seems) I went to bed early. However my kids told me about the show last night but it wasn't just the visual quality they commented on. Apparently it was pre-recorded in November and it was made even more funny using the pause function to look at people's watches - all displaying different times to the 'real' time-line.

Talk about deceiving the public not HD and not real either.

Uncle H

Yes it was recorded, i live 100yds from JH and at midnight last night he was setting off fireworks at his home

I'm fed up of seeing Jools Holland on BBC HD, but did check out the Kylie moments and thought it looked as though it had been starved of bandwidth somewhere along the line; lots of blocking in the saturated and shadow areas.

I'm fed up of seeing Jools Holland on BBC HD, but did check out the Kylie moments and thought it looked as though it had been starved of bandwidth somewhere along the line; lots of blocking in the saturated and shadow areas.

Yup I thought that, I blamed my Onkyo TX-SR605 amp's HDMI circuitry, but I reckon now it was just a poor broadcast!

I thought it looked poor also. I know it wasn't my set either because HD movies on the other side looked their normal excellent self!

I thought it looked poor also. I know it wasn't my set either because HD movies on the other side looked their normal excellent self!

Yes, normally 'Later with Jools' is stunning, i kept flicking over to channel 102 to see the SD picture and i thought it was better

Couldn't agree more, this was really disappointing, this is usually one of the BBC's best pictures, was pretty awful in the shadows with bad artifacts, even more disappointing was the lack of the fireworks at midnight not being included in hd this year, it was a real highlight last year.
It would appear that the BBC commitment to hd is falling. The fact that the channel is not technically a test channel any longer, but a fully fledged one, yet there is NO printed schedule available anywhere that actually lists what is on and when. Most publication just put "also in available HD" in brackets even though the time and day may be different.( I know the info can be found on the web, but I believe that a printed schedule would make them commit to actually showing what is scheduled, and not move things at a whim.)
As a consumer and licence fee payer, I would like to see a proper commitment from the BBC, not the half hearted effort currently being seen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom