• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Jonah Lomu

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Sad news, only 40 too, legend indeed!

Garrett

Just seen the news on this and was going to start a thread on him. I'm not a sports fan at all an know very little of players especially rugby but Jonah Lomu is one without doubt I do know and agree a legend, he was someone that took the game to a new level like Pele was to football.
40 a very young age for a spots player.
R.I.P. Jonah

Batdog

Prominent Member
I was in my 1st year at uni in 1995 and one of my buddies was a 6' 4" rugby guy, formerly an England under 18 rugby international. In the run up to the 1995 rugby World Cup he'd been telling us about a tour they had gone on to the Southern Hemisphere and how they had been leading the All Blacks at half time, but how in hindsight he felt they had just been toying with them. In the second half they brought on a 'massive' winger who tore them to shreds.......and my buddy warned us to watch out for this guy at the World Cup!

In terms of the impact he made on the sport, he ranks with a select few others in my lifetime for whom a combination of overwhelming physical superiority aligned to sheer natural talent seemed to defy what I thought was possible. I'm thinking of Mike Tyson in the '80s, the original Ronaldo, Usain Bolt. The kinds of athletes/sportsmen who draw gasps and draw people not normally into the sport in question into the action, making hairs stand on end. Such a terrible shame he was cut down in his prime.

RIP big man.

Spacecat

Banned
I had the pleasure of watching him play against wales at Wembley many years ago he was a giant amongst men on the pitch

I'm not a huge rugby fan but he made it interesting and took it to another level

I also understand that he was a very humble and genuinely nice person which so many top sports people are not, if he hadn't been struck down with illness who knows what he could have achieved

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom