Joker (4K UHD/Blu-ray Steelbook)

Are we talking reference quality or close to it?

Hate is a strong word. I’d say I strongly disagree with some of their policies, this red carpet nonsense being the latest. I have just grown tired of them finding new ways to screw over steelbook collectors. The hobby is expensive enough without them adding more to it.

Have you been collecting long? Perhaps in time if you become jaded like a lot of us do you may well draw your own lines with certain companies too.

Let’s see what happens. ;)

Well with the type of film it is, it's not really going to be the 'reference' type of disc. There are so many dark scenes and a limited colour pallet used it'd be hard for it to compete with any bright landscape shot with eye popping colours. But for what it is, it's supposed to be a healthy upgrade over the bluray for sure.

I'll agree i suppose, but the whole red carpet thingy didn't bother me all that much. It's only a tenner and I manage to use the code most of the time anyway. I know we've always been able to use codes on preorders before, but that's more of a quick glitch than zavvi actually allowing us. You don't see any regular 10% codes for HMV or amazon reducing RRP, so we're hardly hard done by! lol

I get the whole not agreeing with their policies etc.., but personally, as they've got the monopoly on the UK market (whether we like it or not), boycotting them is pretty much shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to an exclusive you actually want to buy - especially if it's from the house of mouse.

Errm I've probably only been collecting regularly for about 4 years, just the odd few before that. It is expensive and the last thing we need is added costs, but just like everything else there are certain things I'd need to compromise on if I want to get what I want. I view it as it's the item I'm paying for, not the company it's going to. So usually the cheapest price gets it, if there's an option. It's the distributors steelbook after all, zavvi is just the middle man.

Well with the type of film it is, it's not really going to be the 'reference' type of disc. There are so many dark scenes and a limited colour pallet used it'd be hard for it to compete with any bright landscape shot with eye popping colours. But for what it is, it's supposed to be a healthy upgrade over the bluray for sure.

I'll agree i suppose, but the whole red carpet thingy didn't bother me all that much. It's only a tenner and I manage to use the code most of the time anyway. I know we've always been able to use codes on preorders before, but that's more of a quick glitch than zavvi actually allowing us. You don't see any regular 10% codes for HMV or amazon reducing RRP, so we're hardly hard done by! lol

I get the whole not agreeing with their policies etc.., but personally, as they've got the monopoly on the UK market (whether we like it or not), boycotting them is pretty much shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to an exclusive you actually want to buy - especially if it's from the house of mouse.

Errm I've probably only been collecting regularly for about 4 years, just the odd few before that. It is expensive and the last thing we need is added costs, but just like everything else there are certain things I'd need to compromise on if I want to get what I want. I view it as it's the item I'm paying for, not the company it's going to. So usually the cheapest price gets it, if there's an option. It's the distributors steelbook after all, zavvi is just the middle man.
Agree with you on whichever company is cheapest gets my order. For Joker my pre-order is with Warner Bros as I was able to use a 10% off code having missed the limited time to use the RC code with Zavvi. I just hope their packaging is as good as Zavvi for steelbooks.

Agree with you on whichever company is cheapest gets my order. For Joker my pre-order is with Warner Bros as I was able to use a 10% off code having missed the limited time to use the RC code with Zavvi. I just hope their packaging is as good as Zavvi for steelbooks.
I did too originally, and for WB stuff they'll get my order if they stock the steel art i want. Can use 10% if you checkout as guest and their packaging is pretty decent. It was only afterwords i decided I'd prefer the amazon steel, plus I've had £7 credit sat on my account for ages in need of use :)

I haven't saw the film yet, so wasn't aware of it's colouring. I'm pleased they've made some effort with the disc though. That's always good to read. :smashin:

I'll agree i suppose, but the whole red carpet thingy didn't bother me all that much. It's only a tenner and I manage to use the code most of the time anyway.
The whole thing just feels like another slap in the face to the steelbook collector.

Be honest, how did you initially feel when you found out about it?

I know we've always been able to use codes on preorders before, but that's more of a quick glitch than zavvi actually allowing us. You don't see any regular 10% codes for HMV or amazon reducing RRP, so we're hardly hard done by! lol
A fair point, but in the past when given the option I've often opted for other e-tailers even if the price has been a little more. The reason being I like my steels to reach me unblemished and in good condition.

Steelbooks aren't the be all and end all for me mate. I'm just the kind of person who takes my business elsewhere if I don't like how a company operates. Besides, exclusives or not, I always get the steels I am after in the end. ;) I have my ways. :D

Errm I've probably only been collecting regularly for about 4 years, just the odd few before that.
How many steelbooks do you have in your collection?

It is expensive and the last thing we need is added costs, but just like everything else there are certain things I'd need to compromise on if I want to get what I want. I view it as it's the item I'm paying for, not the company it's going to. So usually the cheapest price gets it, if there's an option. It's the distributors steelbook after all, zavvi is just the middle man.
I understand, but if Zavvi is any part of the equation now I just don't want to know. I can't stand middlemen anyway.

The whole thing just feels like another slap in the face to the steelbook collector.
Be honest, how did you initially feel when you found out about it?

Oh I won't lie I did immediately think 'you little ba***rds!', no one likes things changing. But in hindsight it's not that much of a big deal for me now. It is what it is and you either pay £10 for a year or £2 a steel. Makes more sense for me, as I'll likely buy 20 steels a year from them easily enough.

A fair point, but in the past when given the option I've often opted for other e-tailers even if the price has been a little more. The reason being I like my steels to reach me unblemished and in good condition.

I usually go the other way actually, I've found zavvi steels arrive usually in better condition than others, and it's easy to make a complaint about a very minor blemish and if you're so inclined get a further 15% or so off the price you paid (which 9/10 is already 10% of their RRP anyway)

Steelbooks aren't the be all and end all for me mate. I'm just the kind of person who takes my business elsewhere if I don't like how a company operates. Besides, exclusives or not, I always get the steels I am after in the end. ;) I have my ways. :D

Oh no course not, me either. But it's the only real thing I do like to collect so have the tendency to obsess from time to time :rotfl: and chasing around ebay after sellouts can be total pain!

How many steelbooks do you have in your collection?

Compared to some of you guys, a minuscule amount. About 250 i think. I'm quite picky though and the vast majority of mine are steels bought to put my 4K discs in, or as part of a collection of films. I have to really like the film and/or the design of a steel to buy a standalone 1080p title.

Oh I won't lie I did immediately think 'you little ba***rds!', no one likes things changing. But in hindsight it's not that much of a big deal for me now. It is what it is and you either pay £10 for a year or £2 a steel. Makes more sense for me, as I'll likely buy 20 steels a year from them easily enough.
If I was a high volume buyer, like yourself, this change would have ground my gears even more. I get what you are saying, but they are still fleecing you even if it’s just a little to you in the grand scheme of things. It’s just wrong to treat customers like this IMO.

I usually go the other way actually, I've found zavvi steels arrive usually in better condition than others, and it's easy to make a complaint about a very minor blemish and if you're so inclined get a further 15% or so off the price you paid (which 9/10 is already 10% of their RRP anyway)
I’ve found them to be a bit hit and miss over the years and when it comes to returns they can be an absolute ball ache to deal with. Amazon and HMV have been more consistent for me.

Oh no course not, me either. But it's the only real thing I do like to collect so have the tendency to obsess from time to time :rotfl: and chasing around ebay after sellouts can be total pain!
I completely understand. I used to be the same myself when it comes to steels. These days not so much, although I always appreciate releases where some proper effort is put in to them.

Compared to some of you guys, a minuscule amount. About 250 i think. I'm quite picky though and the vast majority of mine are steels bought to put my 4K discs in, or as part of a collection of films.
That’s a mighty healthy haul, sir. :cool: Do you have a display for them?

I have to really like the film and/or the design of a steel to buy a standalone 1080p title.
I have to really like the film and the design before I buy any steelbook, period. :D Well there is the odd exception, Joker being a perfect example. I haven’t saw the film yet, but the steelbook has won me over already. :p

Last edited:
Pre-ordered the Italian steelbook because I liked that artwork much more than the others.

Hope I like the film!
@Jim Di Griz
Spanish release is back at €23.99 (no 4K)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
thanks for the pitch forking !:p and helping me understand where it lies!.. i dont want to upset real fans, and i'm not a Nolan fan per say!, its just as a kid in the 70'sn early 80s having these cartoony super heros n vllians shoved down or throats (which at the time was enjoyable ) ,
I Now prefer my super hero films to be dark! these days, and Nolan didn't disappoint! im a massive fan of the MCU which is reflected in my steelbook collection, but if I want to watch something a bit grittier the DC stuff is preferable,

think i will pre order this, despite owning it digitally, and wait for the disc to arrive

thanks Sam :smashin:

You'll probably forget it even has any 'comic book' DNA for most of the film.

Without wanting to be too dismissive of all the DC/Marvel stuff, Joker is on a completely different level. It's a very adult piece of work with a deep focus on the concept of depression.

It flirts with certain backstories, as it were, but it's a film that's striving for much, much more than just 'entertainment'...

You'll probably forget it even has any 'comic book' DNA for most of the film.

Without wanting to be too dismissive of all the DC/Marvel stuff, Joker is on a completely different level. It's a very adult piece of work with a deep focus on the concept of depression.

It flirts with certain backstories, as it were, but it's a film that's striving for much, much more than just 'entertainment'...

thanks for the heads up, I might just watch my iTunes copy next week, and see if I like it

Got mine from Umania today
image.jpg
image.jpg

I’ve just be charged for this by the WB store. Seems very early for that.
normal for wb store,payment pending for me to.

I ended up going for the Amazon / Best Buy one. I wasn't keen on the Zavvi / WB one.

I may also go for the Italian one :)

I've got the WB and the Amazon coming and unless the later is that much better, It will get sent back.

Its only the steel that's different isn't it, the content is all the same?

I ended up going for the Amazon / Best Buy one. I wasn't keen on the Zavvi / WB one.

I may also go for the Italian one :)
To be honest the artwork for the Italian one was the only one I wanted. Sometimes you just know!

That's the Amazon UK Exclusive a different steelbook Dolby Vision Artwork
Only available from Amazon in UK/Ireland
download.jpeg.jpg

This thread is for the trade wide steelbook IMAX Artwork in UK
Zavvi/WB Shop/HMV and some other UK/Ireland Retailers
Amazon UK don't have IMAX steelbook version
This is the IMAX version Trade Wide and is sold out for now
12317222-2004726401527082.jpg

That's the Amazon UK Exclusive a different steelbook Dolby Vision Artwork
Only available from Amazon in UK/Ireland
View attachment 1251397

This thread is for the trade wide steelbook IMAX Artwork in UK
Zavvi/WB Shop/HMV and some other UK/Ireland Retailers
Amazon UK don't have IMAX steelbook version
This is the IMAX version Trade Wide and is sold out for now
View attachment 1251398
What do you think the chances are of this becoming available again somewhere? ...

What do you think the chances are of this becoming available again somewhere? ...
It's possible customer cancellations and payment issues that usually pop up with pre orders.
Zavvi and HMV possible after release date

Italian release price dropped a bit, €27,40 at the moment.
Price should adjust for those who pre-ordered this one.

Italian release price dropped a bit, €27,40 at the moment.
Price should adjust for those who pre-ordered this one.

Ta. That softens the blow a bit!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom