• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Joining unsecured network problem.

Bob

Prominent Member
I've just got one of these iPhone jobbies and have a query.

Where I live there is an unsecured network which the iMac can see and connect to, but the iPhone can't even see, although iStumbler can see it and list all the info.

If I put the SSID in manually using the "other "option in Network Settings it just tells me it cannot join the network.

Is it not possible to connect to unsecured networks using these things or am I missing a setting somewhere?

I can connect to my own WPA secured network with no problems.

gbailey141

Established Member
Have you checked to see if the router is set to only allow connections with an authorised mac address?

Bob

Prominent Member
Have you checked to see if the router is set to only allow connections with an authorised mac address?

Well it's not my router otherwise it would be secured :D but I've tried various pc's and macs that I've worked on for people and never failed to connect to it.

The iPhone just wont see it though, weird.

hutch

Distinguished Member
Maybe its a Wireless N network, would explain why a Macbook can see if but the iPhone cant as its only wireless G

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom