Joining the Toshiba HD XE1 club...

mshdsp

Established Member
Reaction score
I should (hopefully) be taking delivery of a Toshiba HD XE1 tomorrow. I sold my 360 add-on and decided to take the plunge. Now, I have read a number of negative posts on this forum about the player, as well as positive ones (let's not forget the positives!). I wondered if there was a top 5 (or 10!) list of things to look out for in terms of problems. I have read that the player freezes, has lip-synch issues. Is there anything else I should be looking out for. Or am I asking a dumb question here (i.e. "how long is a piece of string...")?

I should (hopefully) be taking delivery of a Toshiba HD XE1 tomorrow. I sold my 360 add-on and decided to take the plunge. Now, I have read a number of negative posts on this forum about the player, as well as positive ones (let's not forget the positives!). I wondered if there was a top 5 (or 10!) list of things to look out for in terms of problems. I have read that the player freezes, has lip-synch issues. Is there anything else I should be looking out for. Or am I asking a dumb question here (i.e. "how long is a piece of string...")?

Hi
The main issues (what are a few people have experienced) are the lip synch and low bass.Loads of people including myself have had zero problems so i
wouldn't worry too much.If you're using HDMI for audio and video then you should be home and dry with this player.
Anyway i hope you get you Xe1 tomorrow.Cheers.

Define "a few people have experienced".

Here's mine: In the lip-sync thread, 65% of the poll respondents have experienced lip-sync problems with this player.

Two thirds have lip-sync problems.
Certain discs are unplayable for almost all users (evidence from AVS).
All have LFE issues using analogue (some can work around it).
Many have HDMI handshake issues (evidence from AVS).
Many have had it just freeze up for no apparent reason. As there's no proper power switch (on a 650 quid player!) ,you have to unplug it.

In an AVF podcast, a bloke from Toshiba stated the E-1 would have a region-free hack made available. 4 months later, still nothing.
Personally, I'm on my second XE1. On the first one, the HDMI output simply died after a week. The only fault I have not experienced on the second one is the lip-sync.

The XE1 is a lemon and Toshiba have got one hell of a bloody cheek to continue selling it in this state.

Sorry to have to put it like this but this player can not be recommended. Fact is, most owners have problems with it, not just "a few".

Hi MSHDSP, I did exactly the same as you, sold my Xbox360 HD-DVD drive, and bought a Toshiba HD-XE1. I'm very happy with the unit so far, although there does seem to be some lip-sync issues. However these lip-sync problems COULD be something to do with the picture processing in modern HD tvs, I dont really know...
As for the LFE low level issue? This isn't really Toshiba's fault. It's within the Dolby Digital/DTS specs I belive, and would affect ANY mulichannel Dolby Digital/DTS analog (or HDMI for that matter) output of ANY player. Depending on what kind of AV amp you use, you may have to use a little ingenuity to get around this. A lot of people seem to be blaming Toshiba for this issue, perhaps undeservedely so...
Any other questions please feel free to ask,
Steve.

Playback on mine has been fine on all bar 1 disc ( end of days got stuck half-way through - probably a disc rather than player problem) and the lipsync I can correct on y processor when it happens.

I'm curious though , on others' opinions on the running volume of the unit as mine is very distracting in quieter moments even with 5.1 system on ! It must be the fan or something , has anyone else got this problem or is it just my player ? Im reluctant to send it back as it does play so well :(

~M~

and the lipsync I can correct on y processor when it happens.

Yes. Someone mentioned an 80ms offset does the trick.
I'm curious though , on others' opinions on the running volume of the unit as mine is very distracting in quieter moments even with 5.1 system on ! It must be the fan or something , has anyone else got this problem or is it just my player ? Im reluctant to send it back as it does play so well :(

I haven't noticed any fan noise or other noise emanating from my XE1, then again I don't usually sit too close to it, although, on occasion we do sit on the carpet in front of the screen. I'll have a listen next time it's turned on.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of your feedback. I'll keep an eye out for the issues you speak of.

Thanks again.:smashin:

" we do sit on the carpet in front of the screen "

I'm sitting 12 feet away watching 'Fearless' and I can still hear it occasionally :( Its a bummer cos I bought it online from the U.K. and its going to be a PITA to get it replaced.

~M~

In regards to lo level LFE via analogue, it's quite common, and many amps, like Denons, have a +10/+15 dB boost for it.

Here's mine: In the lip-sync thread, 65% of the poll respondents have experienced lip-sync problems with this player.

Many have had it just freeze up for no apparent reason. As there's no proper power switch (on a 650 quid player!) ,you have to unplug it.

In an AVF podcast, a bloke from Toshiba stated the E-1 would have a region-free hack made available. 4 months later, still nothing.
Personally, I'm on my second XE1. On the first one, the HDMI output simply died after a week. The only fault I have not experienced on the second one is the lip-sync.

The XE1 is a lemon and Toshiba have got one hell of a bloody cheek to continue selling it in this state.

Sorry to have to put it like this but this player can not be recommended. Fact is, most owners have problems with it, not just "a few".

I think that is a bit strong. MoFoHo is right in his post. Toshiba cannot be blamed for everything, the LFE issue especially.

I for one have had no problems, and I think in polls you will get people more likely to respond if they've got problems, people who are happy are likely to stay silent, so the data is skewed.

I certainly don't believe Toshiba have sold us a lemon, it's a fantastic player, with a few glitches that need ironing out, hopefully with future Firmware updates

Toshiba sent you a piece of fruit instead of a HD dvd player.Man,you've a right to be angry.

I have had mine EX1 for a week now and it's really an awesome kit.....my only real issue is hdmi handshake. In some scenes the black levels just dies...or turns blue like....otherwise it's great.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom