1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joining the SVS club

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by hazard, Jun 4, 2004.

1. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :thumbsup:

Ordered a PC Ultra yesterday, let's see how long it takes to get here...

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's not just the SVS club that you are joining but the much more exclusive PC Ultra club which now has about seven members.

Enjoy.

3. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Welcome to the club!
    Ordered mine on a Friday afternoon, shipped the following Monday, arrived on my doorstep exactly a week later!
    I'm still gobsmacked by how good the thing is. All the hype you read on the forums still does not prepare you for the impact of the subsonics this thing is capable of! Stunning bit of kit! :devil:

4. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks guys... can't wait.

Question: what's the packaging like? Someone mentioned a pallet. Is it in a crate or cardboard box?

It's being delivered to work and I'm trying to think how I will get this beast into a car :)

5. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its a big cardboard box, the size of a large fridge. Its very well packed inside.
    I hope you've got a hatchback or estate!!!

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well done mate, had mine just over a week now and am very pleased. Ordered mine on a Saturday, it shipped on the monday and arrived in the UK the following monday. Unfortunately I couldnt have it delivered till the Thursday. Mine came in a very large box and was on a pallet. The sub itself was surrounded by very thick high density foam packing. The packaging for atube will probably be different though for obvious reasons.

7. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got a four door saloon. Time to look around the company carpark :)

8. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    what is the difference between the ultra and the plus? i know its an up-rated driver and there is EQ, but what about the sound? is it much different? the amp is the same right?

9. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    AFAIK the differences are the two items you mentioned...

I've never heard any of them so it's hard to say what the difference in sound might be. I just figure if I didn't go for the Ultra I would be prone to upgrade-itis :)

10. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you ask Tom, he usually just says the difference is max spl due to the increased excursion abilities of the Ultra driver. Although some say the Ultra driver does sound that bit tighter.

11. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    hazard

Just for clarity. SVS cylinders come in cardboard boxes. No pallets involved.

All SVS cylinders are 16" diameter. Length varies with model. The Ultra is 39" high.

So you're looking for transport for a metre long box x 50cm x 50cm. Or 40" x 18" x 18" in old money.

A doddle in any car across the back seat.

Enjoy! :devil:

Nimby

12. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Nimby. I'm even more excited now after reading your website. :smoke:

13. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    hazard

My sincere apologies. :blush:
    50cm is nearer 20" than 18". The box should still fit on a car back seat though.

Regarding my flowery description of my 16-46 PCi's performance. I was roundly condemned for exaggerating. All I can say in my defense is that I use a proper amplifier and play music loud. Rock music at a steady 100dB with the SVS providing another 5-10dB of bass on top is not unusual in our 30 foot listening room. We regularly crank the SVS gain up for a little extra impact!

We managed 105dB (RadioShack SPL meter C-Slow uncorrected figure) at the end of "Matrix Reloaded" when the rescue ship arrives. Since it felt as if everything in the house was already vibrating furiously there didn't seem much point in turning it up any higher! :devil:

Your Ultra should easily add 5-10dB on top of that without breaking into a sweat. Though you might!

You are in for the treat of your life on music and film. The SVS grin comes free in the box. :D It's guaranteed!

Nimby

14. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Shipped yesterday! :cool:

15. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It (finally) arrived here yesterday. In fact it landed in Ireland last Sunday having travelled 3000 miles or whatever but then took almost a week to get from Shannon to Cork (80 miles or so)

Never mind, it's here now :devil:

Only a quick test last night; calibration and proper testing will be done over the weekend.

First impressions: WOW. This thing makes the whole room PULSE. Compared to my previous sub, a Rel q100e, this SVS is a very different beast.

Imagine feeling a draft on your face from an open window or a door ajar... now think of the same feeling coming at you from all directions at the same time! That, and the furniture rumbling around you.

(and the TV cabinet buzzing like an angry wasp, must fix that)

How does it do it? Drawing "only" 2.5A from the mains? It's a mystery.

16. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I also went from a Q100E, but only to a 20-39PC+ and it was a huge step up. Enjoy! :D

Cheers,
    Liam

17. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Enjoy mate! They only draw a small amount of current because digital amp are very efficient in comparison to there analogue cousins. The other advantage is the amp stays nice and cool!

18. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Glad you are enjoying your sub Hazard, I get a smile from my svs every day, every time I play a cd or a different dvd, I think, wow, I am so glad I bought this!

19. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    That'll be the Amps SVS use. Not the amps others use. :cool:

How you found time to measure anything is a mystery to me. We were enjoying our SVS so much it took weeks just to get round to calibrating it. Well okay, that was fun too, I suppose. :blush:

Are you grinning yet? :D

Nimby

20. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I did start giggling spontaneously after the third or fourth time I played the "Morning Ted!" scene in Monsters Inc... :laugh:

21. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Also, the SVS adds a new dimension to playing Far Cry. You can really feel those grenades when they hit!

22. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    Having owned both the Pc-Ultra and the PB-2 Plus...I have to say I much prefer the PB-2 over the PC-Ultra. Much much more headroom, and I haven't noticed in any way more "tightness" of the Ultra.

That said, my comparison could be argued as meaningless as my "perceived" views are likely skewed (in a big way no doubt) as the rooms are completely different, both in size shape and floor construction, and I've not got round to setting up my BFD yet (thought I had a reasonably flat response but it turns out I have some rather big peaks in my new room which obviously doesn't help with "tightness").

I also had a few problems with my Ultra when I first set it up, which hasn't helped my opinion. One of these days I'll get the Ultra properly EQ'd and I'm sure my views will change:) In fact I should probably do it this weekend...

23. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Smurfin, just curious, what kind of problems did you have with the Ultra?

24. Skyline

Skyline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smurfin, have you ever played the two in the same room? One of the reasons I got the Ultra was its ability to go lower than the PB2+ but I think they both go low enough.

25. Dreamer

Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Glad to see others have found the bass supremoes, SVS subwoofers. I have the pb2 plus and are in the process of calibrating it with my new equipment but it certainly is powerful in my small room. Class low end power. Although it was imported from the usa it still works out alot cheaper for anything to rival it at home and their customer service is first class with immediate replies and advice. They should definitely have an outlet in the uk and europe.

26. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    Does it though? Not in meaningful terms imho, try tuning your PC-Ultra to 12hz and giving it a hit @ reference level...runs out of steam pretty quick (mine does anyway).

Unfortunately I didn't get chance to try them both in the same room, and it's a shame that my new room vs old are totally different.

Hazard: the problems I had when I first got my PC-Ultra was that the driver made some horrible noises, even @ -15db, especially on the Telarc DTS sampler (which is a brute). I had the sub tuned to 12hz with 2 ports plugged and it simply couldn't cope. After discussing it via email with SVS (Tom suggested the material was very demanding, but frankly that doesn't rub - if a sub has the option to be tuned to 12hz then it should be able to perform there, at moderate volumes imho, especially in a small room), I changed my tuning configuration to 20hz with all ports open, and the problems seemed to go away - indeed I can play material @ reference level with no issues, and just get incredibly forceful, clean bass. 20hz tuning has been more than adequate, and the Ultra plummets into the 15hz region with no issues. It just bugged me that I couldn't tune the sub to the lowest setting and play anything at a decent level.

Yesterday I ran some sinewaves through my system and I've found I have a slight peak @ 22hz, and a HUGE trough @ 50hz, which will go some way to explain my preference of the PB-2 Plus over the Ultra - in my old room, with the BFD I managed to get a completely flat response from 80hz down to 20hz (+/- 3db). Must get the old destroyer out again and see if I can fit it in my rack:)

27. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I still haven't had time to recalibrate for the new arrival, so it sounds quite overpowering :) Although it's good to find out what the device is capable of.

I thought the driver was rattling or buzzing at first but now I believe it was the interaction of those rubber feet and the varnished parquet floor in my HC room. I put a bit of sponge under each of the feet and I haven't heard the buzzing since.

(although things in other rooms in the house continue to buzz when the Ultra is doing its stuff :) )

At this stage I might wait until I move house shortly and calibrate it all over there instead.