1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

joining speaker cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by tukky142, Oct 30, 2004.

1. tukky142

tukky142
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does it matter if you join two different speaker cables together. I am sure you are all going to say yes it will degrade sound quality - but does it really change it that much??

I have cable already under the floor boards and do not want to remove it but I need to add some to it.

What is the best method of joining speaker cable together - is it soldering or can you get good quality connectors that will do the job.

Regards

Neil

2. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    if you are going to join two cables together ( which i wouldnt advise) but given your circumstances it may been unavoidable, you would be crazy to use a different cable as all cables sound different. You will suffer some sound loss connecting two of the same together but if that is the only option available, then use proper juntion box connectors and then cover in blacktape to insulate it.

3. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought, It might be an option to tape new cable firmly to the end of the old, and then pull the old cable out, which then pulls the new cable under the floor? This way you can replace the cable without having to take up the floor.

I agree with Cmoth that joining cables together is a bad idea and should be avoided as far as possible.

Mat