Joining Sky Hd From Virgin

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by MERC4, Apr 22, 2007.

1. MERC4

MERC4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am wanting to join Sky HD from Virgin media.
    Are there any offers or any way I can join at a lower than normal cost.
    I already know about the half price offer, which I was refused at Comet and Currys, because I wasn't purchasing a new TV.
    :lease:

2. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Maybe if you offer to shine Murdoch's shoes he'll give you a discount?

Maybe try phoning Sky and ask, and yeah you need to buy a TV for the half price offer from selected retailers.

3. MERC4

MERC4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I have to buy the HD box from SKY. I have seen some low priced boxes on ebay, at around £100 cheaper than what SKY charges. Would SKY connect one of these boxes for me. :confused:

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    You can source the HD box yourself but SKY will not install it but you can get an independent fitter/retailer to fit the dish and cables or do it yourself.

At the mo SKY HD seems to be selling well to the point SKY have no interest in losing money by cutting it's price (direct from them) and as a new customer you are only entitled to a free standard digibox and free install.
    Amstrad are expected to supply HD boxes this year and that may bring about a price cut from SKY as they are bound to cheaper wholesale than the Thomson units.

5. MERC4

MERC4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would an independant fitter/retailer be generally cheaper than a full Sky fitting. ?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

I would say they are more versatile when it comes to anything but a straight forward install and a true independent may be able to offer you the hardware and install a little cheaper than the £359 SKY want but you would then go to SKY for the subscription. A SKY authorised (yet independent) dealer can offer you the full package and may have their own deals along with SKY's and shave some of the commission to get a sale but impossible really to say for sure.

Daft as it sounds it may work out cheaper to get the "free" system from SKY and slip the installer a few quid for a Quad LNB (allows you upto 4 feeds) and cabling then buy the SKY+HD yourself and then you just plug it in.