Joining motorways.

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by djbsom, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,125
    They do not have to give way, ...That is what is clearly defined in the highway code...Yet some seem to think they do have to give way...

2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    This is frustrating, they're closing the gap and definitely not leaving a safe distance. From the OPs description they'd certainly get a ticket for tailgating (probably DWCA) if an old fashioned traffic cop was around. I appreciate they don't have to give way but theres not a chance they are following the highway code in any shape or form.

Anyway wether you see it or not I am agreeing with your point, of course the joiners have to give way to traffic already established. To think otherwise is wrong.

so I don't think I'll bother with this circular arguement anymore.

3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    To be fair Harrogate BC or any local authority aren't exactly pro car if that helps.

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,323
    I try and avoid the centre of town. Given there is a Bus stop at the end of my street that can get me there faster than my car could, and the round trip is much cheaper than the parking, it's a no brainer...

5. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    Maybe they do have a point then [emoji16]

6. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,574
    For the record this is what I meant - they are closing gaps (sk they aren’t inconveniences by somebody being added in front of them) so they are tailgating which is more than frowned upon. The person entering is only giving way (stopping) because those in lane 1 are dorks and out to kill themsleves and (more more often than not) themselves.

I don’t think anybody was suggesting those entering mustn’t give way to avoid side swiping those in lane 1.

Anybody in lane 1 who argues they have to alter speed to let somebody in therefore according to ‘rules’ the person entering must go behind them (stop as many others say the same) is simply stating nobody is allowed in front of them in their world.

Often the stopping is a sign of modern car driver selfishness and arrogance IMO. Courtesy isn’t in the Code so they don’t have to practice it right?

7. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,125
    I get you, apologies didn't register that the key point was being made that the assumption is they are closing the gap on purpose. If they do then yes that is not nice, but unless anyone is in their seat and see/experience what they are experiencing you never know for certain. That is why the highway code is the way it is, you need to look out for your own situation and not 'decide' for others.

If they do it on purpose, is it courteous? No ofcourse not. Does it make a difference as to what those on the slip road should do? No it also doesn't make a difference as they still need to give way. Could it potentially endager a situation if they purposely close the gap? Possibly, really depends on how close, what speed, what else is going on. Sometime it is worse to hit the brakes for those behind them. I think we can agree that this is never a black and white situation, and that is why there are some basic rules :)

8. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +390
    Page 1 of the highway code reads:
    "It is important that all road users are aware of the Code and are considerate towards each other."

That covers pretty much everything for this scenario, if you think about it.

For those on the motorway, make it easy for people to merge (move to lane 2 if you can do, and if you can't, leave a large enough gap to the vehicle in front, especially so when approaching a slip road).

For those joining the motorway, assess the speed of the traffic in lane 1 and adjust your speed to ensure a smooth merge.

It's not rocket science.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +817
    Perhaps the "dorks in lane 1" who speed yp to close the gap ib front, think it generates a bigger gap behind for those exiting the slip.just that the car behind in lane 1 also speeds up,

10. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,100
    That's the one. In rush hour it causes congestion on the motorway and theslip road.