Joining cables for a subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by graham.myers, Jun 11, 2002.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using 99% OFC shielded audio cables with gold connectors for just about every phono interconnect.

I've even been using them for video:blush:

this is until I finally decided where everything was going to live and then I'd buy "proper" cables where required.

Now, currently I have three of these cables (2m each) connecting my amp to my subwoofer. I'm using barrel connectors to join these together.

would you keep this connection to the subwoofer as is?. How much am I losing by using these 10p each barrel connectors? Would you scrap them and get a single 6m cable? What quality and price bracket should I go for? I'm using a THX amp, THX speakers, but I'm "only" using QED Silver Anniversary. Would you upgrade the speaker cable too?

I have an LD player and a bog standard VCR. As stated above I've been using 0.5M good quality audio cables to connect the video feed to the amp.

Given the lower quality signal from these devices would you bother changing them. Just change the LD, or keep both?

I'm going to have to buy a 10m phono to phono cable for the composite feed to the projector. If I keep the audio cables as the composite feeds, I assume its not going to be worth spending a any thing on a decent 10m composite cable. I'd probably still go for a shielded cable though.

thoughts and suggestions please guys.

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Nothing wrong with Silver Anniversary cable, I wouldn't be inclined to change it.

I would be inclined to get a single run of cable for the sub though, no idea how to quantify the effect the cable joins are having, but it can't be helping :)

Feeding a projector with composite sounds almost criminal though, I'm not familiar with LD players sadly, but is that really the best you can get from the LD and your video ?

Mark

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was working on the fact that the PJ has a better comb filter than the LD player.

Anyway it only has scart that doesn't seem to support RGB or S-Video so I'm stuffed really.