Joined the Projector club..

martinthorn1

Hi there, just a quick hello to say I've defected (partially!) from 43" plasma to a projector..

Not being sure about it I've gone for a cheap used projector and very budget screen, however so far I'm reasonably impressed.. details below!

Projector: Acer H5370BD for £340 with 3D glasses. A relatively little talked about HD ready DLP(single chip) projector, but has one or two good reviews. Swayed by the review that stated it was the best available under $500..
Screen: 84" Ebay motorised cheapie, £70. Mounted from the ceiling with hooks in the joists. Gain of 1.2 allegedly.
Curtains: Argos blackouts - very good! £50
7.5m HDMI Cable: £10
HDMI Switch Box and supply: £20
Power Extensions £5
Screws & Hooks £5
Shelf (to put projector on opposite wall upside down) £15

So all in kitted out the living room for about £515.. not peanuts but a small sum compared to many projectors and screens out there!!

The Good so far:
Cinema feel due to the size - sat 3m away
Colours are natural
Can go quite bright for casual daytime viewing with curtain partially closed
Streamed movies via Netflix look good (worried they might be pixellated)
Kids happy: Nemo just got bigger!

The expected so far:
Black levels not as good as my plasma.. even with all lights off (walls not dark though) - but size counteracts this disadvantage!
Not that bothered about 3D, but watching a few clips off youtube showed that it worked fine
Lots of visible cables: to projector and screen. Need to start thinking about white conduits/tubes..
Screen is average:Electric motor cool, however minor ripples are just visible and get just a little closer than we sit and you can see the lines of the weave - adequate but will be upgraded the day I get a full HD or 4k projector..

The not so good:
My wife asked what the rainbows were (I can't see them) :-(
I've since reduced the brightness and changed the incoming resolution and she seems a bit happier, just hoping she's not one of the small minority that can't live with it..

Still to try; Blu Ray as I have a player but haven't actually got any Blu Ray discs yet. Life of Pi is in the post..

Martin

Links:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-500-projector/
New 92" Electric Cinema Projection Projector Screen HD Matt White 4:3 16:9 | eBay

martinthorn1

One thing I am having some issues with is the projector taking a while (30s to a minute) to pick up the hdmi signal input: possibilities could be the projector itself, the long hdmi cable or the hdmi 2 way splitter or even the source..(tv onics set top box).. Anyone else have hdmi sync issues with a 7.5m cable?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom