1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Join in s-video cable - bad idea???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr Cheese, May 18, 2003.

1. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I run an s-video cable to from my DVD player to my amp and then another 5m s-video cable to my pj. I have relocated the amp, and now the amp to pj cable is 3m too short.

I could put a 10m cable in, but the cabling is pretty inaccessible without taking up the floorboards (again!). The easier option would be to put a coupler in with an additional 3m cable. Would this degrade the pj's pic quality - ie having a join in the cable?

Has anyone done this?

TIA

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The join, probably not. The difference in cables, perhaps.

What you have is a transmission line, with a certain characteristic impedance (75 ohms). Signals travelling down the cable expect this to stay at 75 ohms and any discontinuity could cause them to be reflected back to the source. End result, poor picture.

With a 10m length, you want to be using good quality 75 ohm cables, in the one run. Other than this, no reason not to have a 10m run.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Ah well - thanks for that - looks like it's time to rip the floorboard up again !! At least they're screwed down now so should be a lot easier second time around.

BTW my skybox goes through one of your RGB to S-video converters (Mk 2), Bl**dy fantastic!!:smashin:

All the best

Mr Cheese