Question Join extra length of red/black speaker cable onto the end of existing cable?

marcaaron22

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just wanting to know whether it is ok to join an extra length of red/black speaker cable onto the end of my existing red/black cable to extend it?

Thanks

If as you say it is just speaker cable then yes you can

It is for my 2 surround and 2 rear speakers, I have recently had a change around in my front room, and the speaker cables are a bit short, I'll be extending each by about 6 to 8 metres

Do I need anything to join them together? Bare in mind, I don't have a soldering iron

Do I need anything to join them together? Bare in mind, I don't have a soldering iron
The small connector block (used to be called a 5 amp chocolate block min times gone by) should suit, just needs the opening to be big enough for your speaker cable to fit in, Maplins is the place to go. Off set your splice so that you don't have a big lump and you should be good to go, can you conceal the finished article?

Should be good to go then.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
How long are the existing wires?

How much do you need to add?

What size is the existing wire?

What size (gauge or mm²) is the wire you are adding on?

What tools and resources do you have available to you?

There are several ways of splicing wire.

1.) Simply twist the bare ends of the two wires together and secure them with the appropriate Wire Nut -

50 Mixed Twist ON Wire Nuts Cable Flex Connector Terminal Block Wire Joiner | eBay

This link and the following links are just for the Photos so you know what I am talking about.

2.) Here is another type of wire splice that is frequently used in Automotive applications -

Ideal SpliceLine In-Line Wire Connectors Pack of 10

There are illustrations at the link, but in essence you push a wire in from each end, then clamp down on it, and a small metal pin penetrates the wires shorting them together.

3.) There is also something called a BUTT SPLICE -

RED 19 AMP Insulated Crimp Butt Splice 100 OF | eBay

Blue 27 AMP Insulated Crimp Butt Splice 100 OF | eBay

Butt Splice and Wire Nuts are color coded. Each color deals with a different range of wire sizes. When you go to the Hardware or Building Supply store, the packages will tell you the range of wire sizes that it will work with.

With the Butt Splices, you simply put a wire into each end and then use a common low cost tool to clamp or crimp the connector.

Here is what the tool looks like -

Teng Tools 9" Crimpacting & Stripping Plier | Tools Today

This one is £16.66, but you should be able to get one for HALF that or less. Since you don't need a professional grade tool, buy a cheap one.

Ah ... just by chance, I found a cheap one -

NEW 4 WAY Terminals Crimping Tool 8” Stripper Cutter Crimper Hand Tool | eBay

No need to buy off of Ebay. Every hardware store, building supply store, and general merchandise store will have these tools.

These Crimping/Stripping Tools sometimes come in kits with an assortment of terminals -

Draper 13658 5 Way Crimping Tool and Terminal Kit

Duratool - Crimping Plier set, 271pc - D00369

Draper 5 Way Crimping Tool & Terminal Kit - Highland Industrial Supplies

That is just a cross section of whys to join wires.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It's just the normal red and black speaker wire as shown in picture
ImageUploadedByAVForums1445628531.655398.jpg

The length of the wire for each is around 10 metres (that's 10 metre each) and the extra I need is about another 8 metres on each..

I've not got a soldering kit so it will need to be any way apart from soldering

As I say, keep it simple with connector block, do you have a mate who might have some laying around, you only need a short strip of four cut individually.
Blue Wizard has supplied myriad options for you also, what you have seen on Amazon will do the job admirably

Exactly, keep things simple and also as long as I don't blow my system, quality-wise, I will test before and after to see if there is any noticeable difference,
Also I have both red and black electricians tape, so once finished I can put the tape around too

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByAVForums1445657702.383024.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1445657730.699851.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1445657761.087313.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1445657796.205689.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1445657945.219469.jpg

ImageUploadedByAVForums1445658052.944188.jpg

If them photos of the wire up against the tape measure don't answer any of the questions, I don't know what will

I have looked right away along the cable, there is no writing at all on either of the red or the black side of the cable

This is my current setup
ImageUploadedByAVForums1445660510.367542.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1445660538.404166.jpg
ImageUploadedByAVForums1445660562.653195.jpg

And the following picture, the surround and rare speakers are behind the chair, these are what I am wanting to extend to go behind and at either side of the sofa when I am using them..
ImageUploadedByAVForums1445660727.986372.jpg

Last edited:
This is the sofa that I am wanting the speakers to be positioned round:
ImageUploadedByAVForums1445661117.536246.jpg

Should it be ok for what I'm wanting to do?

Here is an additional suggestion, Stagger the connections.

By that I mean keep the splices an two to three inches apart so if they become disconnected there is little chance of them shorting.

This is about the best I can do to illustrate what I mean. This represents two parallel wires, in your case, one red, one black.

O-------------------------[splice]------------------O
O-------[splice]------------------------------------O

The splices are not side by side, they are offset.

You can try buying one of those Crimping Tool Kits. They are very commonly available from many sources, just walk in and buy a kit, and they come with Butt Connectors. Simply try to splice two scrap piece of cable and see if it works for you.

You will only be out £10 to £15, and if nothing else, you will still have the tool and the terminals.

The tool is also good for Stripping wire. And though you don't need the feature, the tool can CUT common Machine Screw down to a desired size.

Draper 5 Way Crimping Tool And Terminal Kit : Tooled-Up.com

Myself, I would solder and use Heat Shrink tubing, but I have all the equipment and experience to do that.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Regarding setup/layout of my system would you say that the surround and rare speakers are best placed at the side and back of the sofa?
Also, that is the subwoofer that is in the corner of the room (where the lamp and BT hub is on top of)

Regarding setup/layout of my system would you say that the surround and rare speakers are best placed at the side and back of the sofa?
Also, that is the subwoofer that is in the corner of the room (where the lamp and BT hub is on top of)
??

Here is an additional suggestion, Stagger the connections.

By that I mean keep the splices an two to three inches apart so if they become disconnected there is little chance of them shorting.

This is about the best I can do to illustrate what I mean. This represents two parallel wires, in your case, one red, one black.

O-------------------------[splice]------------------O
O-------[splice]------------------------------------O

The splices are not side by side, they are offset.

You can try buying one of those Crimping Tool Kits. They are very commonly available from many sources, just walk in and buy a kit, and they come with Butt Connectors. Simply try to splice two scrap piece of cable and see if it works for you.

You will only be out £10 to £15, and if nothing else, you will still have the tool and the terminals.

The tool is also good for Stripping wire. And though you don't need the feature, the tool can CUT common Machine Screw down to a desired size.

Draper 5 Way Crimping Tool And Terminal Kit : Tooled-Up.com

Myself, I would solder and use Heat Shrink tubing, but I have all the equipment and experience to do that.

Steve/bluewizard
Just so I am clear, this kit is all I need?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom