1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Johns DVD32R, first impressions

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Thunder, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well as planned last night John came round and dropped off his DVD32R. After helping me hook it up and a quick demo of some DVD material (Hulk and Master and Commander) he left me with my new toy. I felt kind of sorry for him really because I think he was quite sad to see it go. Well first a small niggle, I was running THX optimode to recalibrate my display but because the cursor down and stop commands are on the same key on the all in one TMA remote every time I cursored down the player would stop. I think I have a way round this as John left me a different remote which is for the DVD32R only and has the commands on different keys. So this is the one I will use to program my Marantz remote. The colour balance is a little different to my old Pioneer and I notice a slight greenish colouring on some DVDs, also I need to boost the colour balance but I havnt had a proper chance to tweak yet. Overall however the picture is smoother and noise is less evident :) . To be honest I didnt really expect the video side of things to be far improved anyway as my projector is a four year old LCD design thats past its best and my scaler is a budget model (they have limited abilities and I think the superiority of the 32R will only be apparent when I get my hands on a better display device). Really the projector was next on the upgrade list, but I couldnt resist putting it on hold when I saw the DVD32R for sale. As for the audio side I was well impressed, detail is very good but not forced and the bass has become so tight its amazing :thumbsup: . It just seems to sound much more natural. Ive also found that I can crank the volume a bit more without it getting uncomfortable :clap: Integration with the AV32R is also very impressive, its just little things like the fact that the AV32R can relay status and volume info to the DVD via the bus so that it gets displayed on screen, very clever :thumbsup: So Im very impressed and as expected the units in perfect condition. Finally it looks damn cool to :D

2. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you hold down the menu key for a few seconds then it will force the DVD32R into menu navigation mode, rather than track navigation mode.

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for that Steve! But Im gonna use the old DVD32R specific remote to teach my Marantz as I think it will be easier. After some more tweaking Im more and more impressed :thumbsup: I just cant get over how vice tight the bass is :clap: