JohnLewis - no price match!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by the whistler, Mar 14, 2006.

1. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Having decided on a Hitachi 42PD7500, I did the usual trawl around the web sites and found the lowest web prices hovering around £1750. Even better I found Sound and Vision at Bolton - just a couple of miles from my home selling the Hitachi for £1740. S&V are a retail shop who also sell online.

Before nipping off to S&V I thought I would try John Lewis as I understand they will price match any retailer. I called two local stores and the lowest price they came up with was £1999 and when I asked them to price match S&V, they said that they do not price match this shop! - because they are not a 'normal retailer'. After querying this further, they said that S&V do not 'shelf mark' their prices, but negotiate with customers and are therefore not a 'like for like' shop with JL.

I emailed customer services for further clarification on this and was advised that they will not price match any 'retailer' if they do not have 'shelf edge' prices on their goods.

I must say I find this very strange, as S&V are a genuine high street retailer and as far as I am aware their is no legal requirement for a retailer to display their prices. Retail prices whether displayed or not are only a guideline and I can (and have done on several occasions) go into ay retail shop and make an offer for a product which the retailer may accept or refuse.

I think John Lewis are bending their rules somewhat on this and need to review and clarify their price promise.

2. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I do know they will not price match any shop in tottenham court road because of the way business is done there.

3. Wallzer

Wallzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem over the weekend with JL , i had asked for a pricematch with richer sounds on the saturday ... 2 42pd7500 in stock 1599.99 , JL checked on the monday .. none in stock but they will sell the tv to me for 1900 , told them to chase themselves , letter of complaint to customer services due to poor service from JL but no doubt it will be binned . Never using them again .

Ordered myself a 42px5 lg instead

:lesson: John lewis SUCK:thumbsdow

4. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    well they don't suck.... To be honest I try and buy everything from them price matched, you really can't beat their customer service.

5. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +544
    How terrible that they won't pricematch a product from someone claiming to be selling it for less but haven't got any. How terrible of them for offering a pricematch promise in the first place and STILL throwing in a free 5 year warranty on top.

6. Wallzer

Wallzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just after what they are stating in all stores " never knowingly undersold " :lesson:

Product was in stock when i asked for the pricematch READ the post , so from reading their statement they should offer the same product for the pricematch , the 5 year warranty is a bonus .
    They are not willing to pricematch they have made up their own price , 1599 from richer sounds or 1900 from Jl ( supposed to be a match for RS ) .

Na .

maybe its just me but i dont want to have to pay over the odds for anything , you cant tell me that you dont go and ask for money off or insentives to buy your tv etc.

7. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,491

Absolutely right, let us all know how you get on doing your shopping elsewhere, it'll be great to find out how JL should do business

8. rapid

rapid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    John Lewis did a pricematch for me last week, cant complain, they were really nice to deal with. At first they turned my pricematch down due to the other retailler being out of stock, but I put forward the argument that it was in stock when I put the pricematch in and they honoured it.

Really cannot complain about JL, great service, really nice to deal with, and 5 years warranty is worth a fair bit.. £5-600?

:)

9. Gareth W

Gareth W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64

You might want to read some of the John Lewis Price Match threads here before chucking the towel in....:suicide:

10. Gareth W

Gareth W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64

100% agree. Always a pleasure to deal with John Lewis :clap:

11. HoTTdog

HoTTdog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It seems to me that JLP are either too generous in offering a price match and still giving a 5 year warranty or the additional warranty costs them next to nothing.

I suspect its the latter as commercial concerns are not normally given to acts of philanthropy. QED, other companies are making a killing on extened warranties :nono:

12. mike1980

mike1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally buy whatever I can from JL because of after sales service. I did hear somewhere that they underwrite the extended part of the warranty themselves on some products. I would have thought due to the volumes of Tv's e.t.c they must sell far outweighs the costs incurred to them by faulty goods!

Mike

13. Steve_B

Steve_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    John Lewis suck eh!? Well we'll all wait with baited breath to when you post that your LG has packed up and the service you are getting from RS et al is :censored:...

If the undersales dept doesn't work on a Saturday what do you suggest they do... get someone in specially? Come on be realistic...

You could have been patient and waited for RS to get stock in.

MOD EDIT: please do not circumvent the swear filter

14. Wallzer

Wallzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didnt get the tv from rs , yes i must be realistic to think that people work over the weekends .. god what was i thinking.

15. Wallzer

Wallzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think my one man army has sank JL , as far as i know they have went out of business

one man loyal:clap:

16. sum

sum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to JL on Saturday at Trafford Centre to pricematch Richersounds at £1599. Undersales from JL Cheadle phoned back today - price at RS now up to £1699 + delivery, but pricematched it for me at £1740. Delivery Friday!:thumbsup:

17. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I orderd the Hitachi 42PD7500 on Monday from JL Cheadle. Best I could do was £1999!
    They wouldn't price match Richer sounds as they have no more in stock and are unlikey to get any.

Set delivered today and am very pleased with it. Excellent PQ 'out of the box' .

Now I have 28 days to find a lower price!

18. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Don't forget, just because you're local RS has no more stock doesn't mean that another store might have any. The JL policy is national pricing policy and JL are supposed to pricematch against all appropriate UK stores not just local ones. Using the Richer Sounds website I would ring around the various stores for stock levels and then go back to John Lewis.

19. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks for the info. JL tell me their policy only covers 'local' shops i.e within 10 miles radius of the store and also don't match internet prices. However I see from other forum postings that these 'rules' don't always apply. JL seem very inconsistant.

20. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Well I live in London and I got both JL Watford and Brent Cross to price match a PE50 for me with Robert Whytes who are in Scotland, both stores matched the price but Watford decided not to add the delivery charge that RW charge but Brent Cross did. I purchased from Brent Cross in the end as they decided with some arm twisting to chuck in a free cabinet stand for my PE50.

21. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Whoever you spoke to at JL is telling you porkies or at best doesn't understand their own policy. This has been covered countless times in these forums and is quite clear. The following is their actual Price policy, as you'll see in para. 7. it clearly states "any UK shop", and in para. 8 it goes on to say "Our promise to you extends beyond the local area to cover any conventioanl shop in the UK"

http://www.johnlewis.com/Help/Help.aspx?HelpId=18#payment

My advice to you is to stick to your guns.

22. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Spoke to JL this morning, and they tell me they have now reduced the Hitachi 42PD7500 to £1749 and a £250 refund is on its way to me!