Johnlewis 500 42PX60's but no stands ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by daveha, Dec 28, 2006.

1. daveha

daveha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, Whats going on at John Lewis ? I dropped into the Cribbs, Bristol shop today with a view to getting a Panasonic TH42PX60. The current price is £919, I guess this is a price match with Currys (£899 plus £20 postage). Whilst I was waiting for a sales person, the girl with the clipboard checked the stock level for me, she said they had over 500 in stock, great I thought. When the sales man turned up he said they had stock of the screens but no "FREE" desk top stands. He suggested I order the TV over the internet as it was the same price, but with free delivery, I was outside their delivery range and it would cost £60 for delivery.

I have checked the JL website, and indeed they are showing the 42PX60 with a "FREE" desktop stand, as being out of stock. There offer price is only valid whilst they have stock. and until 31 Dec. You have got the option to buy the screen on its own for the same £919, or with the matching Panny stand for £1065.

This all seems a bit strange as I thought these screens all came with desktop stands ? Why would they have 500 plus screens in stock without stands ? Is this some way they are trying to get out of the price match situation ?

I will still probably get one anyway, as I will wall mount the unit out of the way of the wifes devil dogs !!! The five year warrenty will still swing the deal.

Any ideas on the situation ?

All the best Dave

2. Ste__2006

Ste__2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. matty555

matty555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No Mate unfortunatley these Plasma's don,t come with a PED or CAB stand. This is a seperate item, I had to order mine seperatley which I thought was abit odd I must admit :suicide: , the PED stand covers both the 37" and 42" sizes aswell:)......good price now though I paid alot more only a few months ago :suicide: :suicide:

4. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,417
    The TV doesn't come with a stand so that customers are able to configure their purchase as they see fit. It would be pointless buying in TVs packaged with the PED stand/ CAB / Wall bracket (Not that Panny supply them packaged together anyway) as retailers would then end up with stock they couldn't shift as different customers want different things.

Unfortunately this means that from time to time certain configurations are unavailable due to stock shortages. If you call your local JL they should be able to reserve the TV and order the required stand and make a note on the order to honour the promotion.

5. daveha

daveha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information gents. I guess I was getting a little paranoid. It's a shame I can't order the screen and ped via their web site, even if it went onto a back order. I have tried ordering it but nothing goes into the basket. My problem is my nearest JL is 50 miles away, and they don't do free delivery over that distance. The sales chap was quoting £60 to deliver, and you can't fetch the TV from their stores it has to come from a central warehouse, work that one out ???

I may have to just order the screen, and go with the wall mount option, although it would have been nice to have the ped stand just in case of relocation. It's best I have a look around for a reasonably priced wall mount.

Thanks

Dave

6. Searcher2

Searcher2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I suspect Panasonic are clearing out the PX60 range to get ready for their new range and there are little or few pedestal stands left for the 37" & 42" models. JL are doing the CAB stand version at greatly reduced prices. S&V ran out of PED versions before Christmas. If you are interested in getting one of these sets I think I would do so now as I suspect they will be hard to get hold of shortly.

7. Gel

Gel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree Searcher.

Got a PX60 with a table top stand for £874 today, collected it and was the last one they had. Apparently thats it for the stocks they will have. So I was told

8. 1005705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just phones my local JL and they can reserve the 42px60 and put the table top stand on back order for the £919. I'm still pondering..... it's a great price with the 5year cover but I want it Now! now! now!.