Hugh

Distinguished Member
This makes me very happy :clap:

Would love to replace some of my faves with pretty blu's
Full Contact
A Better Tomorrow I & II
Eastern Condors
God of Gamblers
A Chinese Ghost Story Trilogy (might have to give in and get the German discs. Better start brushing up on my Cantonese ;) )
Fong Sai yuk
Once Upon A Time In China

Just a dream, though, as most will have been poorly stored and I doubt many studios would stump up the cash for a good full restoration on a limited market :(

Last edited:

Tequila Sunset

rumours going around that its 1080i:(

another mess up of a great film

Hugh

Distinguished Member
rumours going around that its 1080i:(

another mess up of a great film
Just read the dvdbeaver comparison/review. It's bad. Seems to be an upconverted PAL (4% audio issue) transfer.

DD5.1 for the English channel and only DD2.0 for the Cantonese.

I'm :( , no wait. Actually I'm bloody :mad:

freddiecarr

Just read the dvdbeaver comparison/review. It's bad. Seems to be an upconverted PAL (4% audio issue) transfer.

DD5.1 for the English channel and only DD2.0 for the Cantonese.

I'm :( , no wait. Actually I'm bloody :mad:

I have it, its not the best transfer, but I tend not to expect too much from the older cantonese films anyway. They're normally in pretty bad shape.

It is region free though which is a slight positive i suppose

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
I have it, its not the best transfer, but I tend not to expect too much from the older cantonese films anyway. They're normally in pretty bad shape.

It is region free though which is a slight positive i suppose
The age of the film has nothing to do with the slapdash amateur mastering of films like this. Whatever the shape the source print is in there's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for crap such as PAL conversion or 1080i. :thumbsdow

nwgarratt

The age of the film has nothing to do with the slapdash amateur mastering of films like this. Whatever the shape the source print is in there's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for crap such as PAL conversion or 1080i. :thumbsdow
Asian films tend to be kept in poorer conditions and risk detoriating much quicker compared to say US Hollywood films, which are normally kept in air conditioned rooms.

Paku

Novice Member
The condition of the film shouldn't matter since they didn't even try, even a transfer from a poor print would probably have been better than this mess. In most of the shots the combing is all broken up, like it's part of the picture, so it looks like they took an interlaced source, fed it as progressive (using weave de-interlacing) into whatever equipment they used to DNR the hell out of it and then output back to interlaced again.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Asian films tend to be kept in poorer conditions and risk detoriating much quicker compared to say US Hollywood films, which are normally kept in air conditioned rooms.
I know, many Hong Kong films have been given atrocious storage conditions (the same certainly cannot be said of the Japanese)
The condition of the film shouldn't matter since they didn't even try, even a transfer from a poor print would probably have been better than this mess. In most of the shots the combing is all broken up, like it's part of the picture, so it looks like they took an interlaced source, fed it as progressive (using weave de-interlacing) into whatever equipment they used to DNR the hell out of it and then output back to interlaced again.
This is exactly the point I've been trying to make.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom