John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Yet another example of a review that completely ignores the HDR-10 element, it's getting very tiring now Casimir as I find your reviews generally excellent but the clear bias towards DV is what makes me go to AVSForums as they cover both on each review.

There's only so much TV and films Cas can watch without having to watch them 2 or 3 times for each display method. And the difference between DV and HDR10 will be fairly subtle anyway

Maybe, but it still screams bias to me....

I don't find that so much of an issue, the clear bias on Casimir's reviews towards ONLY DV is glaringly obvious.

The Raid 1 and 2 are better :p

I was left underwhelmed by this, the fight sequences too long albeit well done and not enough storyline. I enjoyed 1 & 2 but it lost all sense of jeopardy until the hotel (trying not to spoil), I also found it hard to suspend disbelief for some of the beatings being walked away from.

On the plus side good to see Mark Dacascos, and the 2 guys from the Raid series (with the signature curved blade)

I watched this again as the missus fancied watching it. On second viewing I enjoyed it more and no longer feel the same way about the film. Perhaps i was being to harsh or maybe now i'm being too forgiving. There were a couple of items that still really bug me though:

GCI knives. I know safety is paramount and i don't want people taking stupid risks for a film but what is the problem with rendering a knife realistically? With the advances in ray tracing why are the CGI knives so obviously superimposed. I might be oversimplifying the issue as you have a fast moving, reflective object but *** give him a matt black tactical blade if you can't cope with the rendering.

CGI for the panning city shots of the bike chase. The GCI bikes and headlights are just poorly done superimposed again. not as bad in terms of pulling you out of a film as the first one.

I didn't norice any Problems with the knives at all. Looked seamless to me. I'll give you the bike chase. :)

Watched this for the second time the other night. Didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first time unfortunately. A few things in particular troubled me:

-Some really dodgy CG
-Keanu doing that SAME BLOODY FLIP on pretty much every assailant he meets
-The anticlimatic end fights that go on forever & bring absolutely nothing interesting to the table.
-Every time Keanu opens his mouth. The guy has a great screen presence, but the agony of watching him trying to act simply never let's up...

Who can forget the woeful delivery, not to mention completely bizarre grammar of his line in the first film: "You killed him from me!!"

Who writes this crap?!

I still enjoyed John Wick 3, but I'm not sure it's going to age particularly well. Plus, with Wick evidently being immortal, where's the sense of threat here...(?)

I don't understand why the 4K UHD Blu-ray from John Wick 3 suppose to have Dolby Vision, when the disc doesn't show it. Anybody knows why?
IMG_1146.jpgIMG_1147.jpg

Lots of discs that have DV does show it on the packaging. The Last Yedi is one example.
Ok, but I've put the 4k disc in the player and the disc shows no DV.
This while all the 4K UHD reviews talk about DV.

Ok, but I've put the 4k disc in the player and the disc shows no DV.
This while all the 4K UHD reviews talk about DV.

My uk disc presents DV to my display, oppo 203 to Sony A1. What player and TV have you got? Are they DV compatible? Have you tried other DV discs so see if they present or trigger DV?

Also works fine for me in DV - system in sig

My uk disc presents DV to my display, oppo 203 to Sony A1. What player and TV have you got? Are they DV compatible? Have you tried other DV discs so see if they present or trigger DV?

Sony KD-55XG9505 TV and UBP-X800M2 4K Player.
DV is enabled on the player, but when checking the status during playback the source (4K disc) doesn't show DV, only HDMI OUT shows DV.
If you want I can take screens and show you what I mean by it. :)

DV Enabled, DV from source (4K disc):
05EDCBE5-7023-44F1-AF95-7A5CA67EA303.JPG
DV Enabled, No DV from source (4K disc):
7DA91F30-C007-4DF8-90FD-D26F1E6B2D85.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, but why the hell would they do that?
Also with DV enabled on my 4K player the movie really does looks like it's actually done in DV, at least to my judging eyes. 😅
Looks like a smaller 66gb disc opposed to 100gb UK disc so presumably produced differently with different language options etc?

Also with DV enabled on my 4K player the movie really does looks like it's actually done in DV, at least to my judging eyes. 😅
That could be because your X800M2 is doing forced DV on HDR10 discs when DV is on. Your TV will then play it in a DV viewing mode. As far as the TV is concerned, it thinks it is getting DV sent to it. Which it is. Whether that forced DV is as good as native DV is another matter.

Last edited:
That would be because your X800M2 is doing forced DV on HDR10 discs when DV is on. Your TV will then play it in a DV viewing mode.

The crazy thing is the result/outcome is pretty spot on and it’s a huge improvement over the normal HDR even though it’s forced! 😊

I watched this the other night. I thought it was very disappointing compared to the first two. It was basically a collection of fight scenes with a weak plot to tie it all together. It came across as a video game rather than a movie.

Was very obviously supposed to be a one off film with the first one, the subsequent sequels have been very pretty to look at, and total popcorn films, but pretty pathetic story wise.

Much like Prison Break after series 2 when the network decided to extend something that had a finite end

I can imagine The Equaliser going the same way if they decide to do a third movie. The first was excellent, the second was decent. Having said that, Denzel Washington's character has far more room to manoeuvre if they decide to develop it.

I am a huge action movie fan, but this third film in the John Wick franchise is just too much, even to an action fan like me. I like to have a breather between the action, but this was just one continuous over the top bore.

Even so, I will give it a 6/10 for the fight choreography alone. Hopefully JW4 will resurrect the series.
I agree that the A/V is 10/10.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom