John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Call me dim-witted, but I'm a little taken aback at the comments about the fake CGI blood sprays. I thought that they were all practical effects, so it goes to show how excellent I thought the fx work was compared to some of you.

MASSIVE props to the stuntmen on this film too. Some of those motorcycle impacts looked incredibly painful.

I was also a *little* underwhelmed by the fight with the two Raid boys, if only because it paled in comparison to the fight between Iko Uwais and Cecep Arif Rahman near the end of The Raid 2, which is one of the best one-on-one fight scenes in movie history, period.

Honestly couldn't bring myself to watch this after the second film... Which was such boring nonsense that I felt irritated for buying the disc after reading a good review.

It's obviously not a genre for me.

Slightly underwhelmed by the movie itself. It essentially made similar mistakes in direction as the likes of Bourne Legacy did years before, fill a 2 hour movie with 30 minutes of story and an hour and a half of pure action. In the end you switch off from it, and it ends up like watching a very bloody dance routine. Yes it’s John Wick, but it’s becoming too gimmicky and forced, like with the extended scenes with the Dogs.

Last edited:
That was one of the best bits! Really inventive and incredibly well-trained dogs (apparently partly by Halle Berry).

I'll see this soon on "4K" disc from CP but I do rather take issue with the line in the review about forgetting "2K DI nonsense". If Netflix can make pretty everything in real 4K, then so can Hollywood. 2K is 2K, you can't magic detail out of thin air.

Of course HDR, bit-rate and good photography and post are far more important than pure resolution, but at the absurd price Hollywood wants for 4K discs they could at least have the decency to actually make them 4K.

I'd describe this film as the 'Emperor's New clothes' everyone says its great so everyone thinks it is. Keanu comes across as a likeable guy in real life so it feeds into the mythology, but the reality is it is incredibly repetitive and is just more of the same with the odd little twist to try and make it more varied...and some nonsense about the 'High Table' ...feels like it was written by a 15 year old

Not watched it yet, but have the 4k sat on the desk in front of me now and looking forward to it.

To be honest I am surprised at the bad reviews here, the reason being, after watching JW1 you should know EXACTLY what you are going to get.
As I said, I have yet to watch it, but I am expecting none stop action, lots of blood and head shots, lots of hand to hand fighting all without a break from beginning to end and with very little story line and zero chance of JW being killed (please don't reply to this as it may be a spoiler).
If you were expecting any more then you should have known better.

The franchise has been very successful so far, and I am just wondering when the watered down TV series or 'JW early years' films will come out to spoil it all.

I'd be interested to know the head shot count of the whole franchise....anybody been counting?
It's mentioned in this video

Are these films by men for men?

Will they appear on Movies4Men at some point?

Having said that, I don't like chick flicks either. Not too interested in perpetuating rigid gender stereotypes, just me I suppose.

Last edited:
Hate to say it, but I actually found this one almost boring. The action was just more of the same really, and somehow it just didn't have the same impact as the first movie. The action was a bit too cartoon, and the people too super-human. The original was over-the top, but not so much that it felt like a comic book, it had some sense of reality. The CGI was bit more obvious on this one too. Obviously none of these films are about the plot, but this one was so minimal that there was nothing left but one action scene after another, and it got a bit samey by the end.

In the end I still enjoyed it - the dog bit was good - but no way a 10/10. JW part 1 10/10, Part 2 8/10, this one about a 7/10.

All three are totally bobbins. Must get the award for the most overrated film series ever. And yes I have seen all three in trying to comprehend why they are so liked. They make absolutely no sense and John Wick is so indestructible there is no tension, no suspense, he is a cartoon character. I despair. No more methinks.

Bought this based upon the review & whilst I agree Picture & Sound quality was very good I wish I could say the same about the movie! my wife & myself really enjoyed the first two but in our opinion this one was a poor effort & at least an hour too long!

Watched it last night. Brilliant fun! High quality, far fetched (which its meant to be) popcorn, and can't wait for the next. Highly recommended.

Watched this on 4k disc last night and really enjoyed it. Agree that it felt a little long but the stunts were superb and really enjoyed the dog action! Plus the atmos soundtrack was utterly fabulous. I had to rewind a couple of scenes just to hear the sound effects again. A real AV treat.

I also watched this last night on 4K disc, and it was a fun ride. Beautiful lighting and cinematography, and one of the poppiest HDR things I've ever seen. Felt like it was made for OLED screens.

Clearly wasn't a 4K transfer but for something like this it doesn't really matter. This isn't about the detail, this is about the use of colour and the choreography.

Finally sat down to watch this at home. I enjoyed it at the cinema and even more so at home. Great picture quality as always and the sound track, especially in the gun fights is also stunning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched this, now the reference 4K disc - anyone that whinges about 'fake 4K' should be made to watch this until they reassess themselves

I too watched it last night and actually enjoyed it.
Totally over the top, lots of killing and predictable.
Total popcorn movie, just what I wanted.
Picture was amazing on my projector and the Atmos was fantastic too.
Left open for the finale

I too watched it last night and actually enjoyed it.
Totally over the top, lots of killing and predictable.
Total popcorn movie, just what I wanted.
Picture was amazing on my projector and the Atmos was fantastic too.
Left open for the finale

I think I’ll wait until I’ve seen the first two before commiting to this one; I’m not sure how much popcorn I can stomach!

Clearly wasn't a 4K transfer...
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Hate to say it, but I actually found this one almost boring. The action was just more of the same really, and somehow it just didn't have the same impact as the first movie. The action was a bit too cartoon, and the people too super-human. The original was over-the top, but not so much that it felt like a comic book, it had some sense of reality. The CGI was bit more obvious on this one too. Obviously none of these films are about the plot, but this one was so minimal that there was nothing left but one action scene after another, and it got a bit samey by the end.

In the end I still enjoyed it - the dog bit was good - but no way a 10/10. JW part 1 10/10, Part 2 8/10, this one about a 7/10.
I’ve never seen IAWL. :blush:
The series is getting boring now. I really liked 1.the second was OK but this one just grates. Production values are excellent, pq, excellent. Its just too much in your face.
I got very bored very quickly. I've got the first two on 4k. I watched this at my mates. I won't be buying. I expected better. I should have know better than to expect better.i
The problem with having a story where every character is a psychopath is that you always end up with a cold sterile, lifeless, soulless movie.
There's not an ouce of life in this movie. Everyone's had it taken out them.
A great disappointment.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom