John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

I
I also found it hard to suspend disbelief for some of the beatings being walked away from.
I was thinking about the same thing, I got an elbow in the ribs yesterday playing football and I'm still in pain with reduced mobility...apparently Keanu is made of rubber and Kevlar :eek:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
have they announced a 4k trilogy boxset? id like to pick that up

SunnyIntervals

Surprised some think this is the 'worst', I thought 2 was the weakest of the three, I really enjoyed this one.

I do think some are missing the point of these films though. They are what they are, you lap it up or you don't. I'm the former. Bring on JW4!

leo79

I loved 1 and 2, thought 3 was ok, don't really know what it was but it just didn't seem to click with me, can't fault the sound and PQ.
I'm hoping number 4 does more for me.

Slinkywizard

Not the most helpful comment in the world, but I hated this movie.

I couldn't suspend my disbelief at all. There's a fine line between clever and inventive stunt work and choreography that looks like nothing other than choreography. The CG blood sprays were sh*te, too.

And Keanu's getting old. He's skinny-fat – completely out of shape, which makes it even more impossible to believe the apparent athleticism on show here. I will admit there was some fun, creative stuntwork going on here from time to time, but overall the whole thing felt B-Movie to me. I mean... Marc Ducascos? Please.

Just my opinion. If you loved this – and a lot of you apparently did – then God bless you. This film was for you. It wasn't for me.

mckee74

I hope to be skinny fat like Mr Reeves.

MartinN

I loved 1 and 2, thought 3 was ok, don't really know what it was but it just didn't seem to click with me, can't fault the sound and PQ.
Diminishing returns for me as well. 1 was fantastic, 2 was ok on first viewing - better on second. This one - i was bored, could have/should have trimmed at least 10 -> 15 mins out of it.
The world building has got worse as it's expanded.

Slinkywizard

Maybe because I'm an athlete I can see how out of shape he is under all that gear and couldn't shake the sense that he lacks the physical equipment to do many of the things he does in the film. I have the same issue when a 250lb wall of muscle is getting his ass kicked by a 120lb woman. Physics says no.

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Maybe because I'm an athlete I can see how out of shape he is under all that gear and couldn't shake the sense that he lacks the physical equipment to do many of the things he does in the film. I have the same issue when a 250lb wall of muscle is getting his ass kicked by a 120lb woman. Physics says no.
Don’t forget, his character has actually been out of the game for a duration of time and this film isn’t set long after the first one when he unexpectedly gets dragged back into the game. Not much time to address diet and training with all that’s gone on!

wolfie138

well I didn't see it on 4K but I just did a triple bill yester and I enjoyed it. Can't stand Halle Tosis but fortunately she wasn't in long enough to spoil it; I did think they shouldn't have made her seem to have the same gunplay capabilities as Wick, as it kinda devalues him and it made you wonder why she would need his help in the past if she was that good - I think they should have left it as her dogs being her special weapons ~ on that topic, Wick using the horses was great too. Some great fight choreography, though I agree w/ the wound-survival aspect getting a little out of hand - that last fall for instance, c'mon!! Wasn't expecting them to set up a 4th, be interesting to see if it actually happens and what they do w/ it.
nicely shot as the others were, and some cracking invisible CGI work - didn't realise all that glass was CG!

Son of the Rock

Standard Member
Loved the first film and liked the second. Felt this was pretty good, but did feel there were too many fight scenes. Began to feel a bit never ending and started to fast forward through some of them. I watched it on VOD through ITunes on the Apple 4k tv. Looked and sounded great (though couldn't decide between Dolby vision bright or vivid setting). Obviously not as good as the 4k disk would have been if course. Does anyone know just how compressed the audio-visual is on ITunes compared to the disk?

matthewricha

I echo [U]Slinkywizard[/U] and [U]MartinN'S[/U] and [U]Son of the Rock[/U] thoughts, loved the first two, but got bored of 3 fairly quickly. It was an hour too long. Really wondering if I should sell my 4K copy or not.

The PQ and SQ were top though! Really surprised this was a 2K DI, it looks spectacular in DV! Just goes to show like the Transformers films that 2K DI can look absolutely stunning.

Mallardo

I've got to be honest I don't really see what all of the fuss is about over this franchise. The first film was quite entertaining but I thought the second one was just too much of the same. I mean, how many times do I need to see Keanu reeves shoot someone in the head? It needed a good car chase or something.

Having said that, I will watch this one eventually because I still want to know how it ends. :)

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I mean, how many times do I need to see Keanu reeves shoot someone in the head?
1000 times. Then I'm prepared to say it's overkill. He's got a little way to go.

I think I view it much the same way as when I ask my kids "How many times are you prepared to watch the same episodes of Paw Patrol?" I don't think there's a limit but, if I were to guess, it'd be around 1000. So that's me and Wick shooting people in the head.

Last edited:

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I rate 3 just above 2... they'd be about level if it wasn't for
the dog scenes, which were really original

I don't think either are in the same league as part one though.

Django44

Standard Member
Watched this last night and thought the picture quality was stunning in D.V but thought the sound was strangely bass light compared to the second film

stigdu

Call me dim-witted, but I'm a little taken aback at the comments about the fake CGI blood sprays. I thought that they were all practical effects, so it goes to show how excellent I thought the fx work was compared to some of you.

MASSIVE props to the stuntmen on this film too. Some of those motorcycle impacts looked incredibly painful.

I was also a *little* underwhelmed by the fight with the two Raid boys, if only because it paled in comparison to the fight between Iko Uwais and Cecep Arif Rahman near the end of The Raid 2, which is one of the best one-on-one fight scenes in movie history, period.

Jules

Honestly couldn't bring myself to watch this after the second film... Which was such boring nonsense that I felt irritated for buying the disc after reading a good review.

It's obviously not a genre for me.

smackos

Slightly underwhelmed by the movie itself. It essentially made similar mistakes in direction as the likes of Bourne Legacy did years before, fill a 2 hour movie with 30 minutes of story and an hour and a half of pure action. In the end you switch off from it, and it ends up like watching a very bloody dance routine. Yes it’s John Wick, but it’s becoming too gimmicky and forced, like with the extended scenes with the Dogs.

Last edited:

stigdu

That was one of the best bits! Really inventive and incredibly well-trained dogs (apparently partly by Halle Berry).

Kotatsu Neko

I'll see this soon on "4K" disc from CP but I do rather take issue with the line in the review about forgetting "2K DI nonsense". If Netflix can make pretty everything in real 4K, then so can Hollywood. 2K is 2K, you can't magic detail out of thin air.

Of course HDR, bit-rate and good photography and post are far more important than pure resolution, but at the absurd price Hollywood wants for 4K discs they could at least have the decency to actually make them 4K.

I'd describe this film as the 'Emperor's New clothes' everyone says its great so everyone thinks it is. Keanu comes across as a likeable guy in real life so it feeds into the mythology, but the reality is it is incredibly repetitive and is just more of the same with the odd little twist to try and make it more varied...and some nonsense about the 'High Table' ...feels like it was written by a 15 year old

Thug

Distinguished Member
Not watched it yet, but have the 4k sat on the desk in front of me now and looking forward to it.

To be honest I am surprised at the bad reviews here, the reason being, after watching JW1 you should know EXACTLY what you are going to get.
As I said, I have yet to watch it, but I am expecting none stop action, lots of blood and head shots, lots of hand to hand fighting all without a break from beginning to end and with very little story line and zero chance of JW being killed (please don't reply to this as it may be a spoiler).
If you were expecting any more then you should have known better.

The franchise has been very successful so far, and I am just wondering when the watered down TV series or 'JW early years' films will come out to spoil it all.

Distinguished Member
I'd be interested to know the head shot count of the whole franchise....anybody been counting?
It's mentioned in this video

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Are these films by men for men?

Will they appear on Movies4Men at some point?

Having said that, I don't like chick flicks either. Not too interested in perpetuating rigid gender stereotypes, just me I suppose.

Last edited: