John Terry: the right captain?

CFC1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been announced..... JT is the new England captain :clap:

I suppose there are some out there that would take issue with this appointment............

I think that he'll be great in the job personally. I would also not have been disapointed to see Gerrard get it but to be honest either of those two would make excellent England captains IMO.

Brilliant choice, JT is a super player and it seems is well respected by most other players. :thumbsup:

Wow not only the captain of the greatest team in England but the England captain as well, kinda goes together. Well done JT.:clap: :clap: :clap:

TJNewton said:
Wow not only the captain of the greatest team in England but the England captain as well, kinda goes together. Well done JT.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dont push your luck mate....:rotfl:

Good move by England. As above for once we were spoilt for choice in terms of having both Terry and Gerrard as proven leaders.

Well knock me down with a feather (and hear me scream penalty!). :D

I thought we would have had some contention from the LFC section by now!

JT is a good choice but would've preferred Gerrard I think.

Im not a scouse fan but feel that if he was made captain that would have upped his game just like it did when playing for the reds.

Also think that a captain should be in midfield when possible, but when all said and done not the most important thing to worry about.

It had to be one of them 2 for me as well, both Terry and Gerrard are born leaders in my view and it would be a very difficult decision to pick one of them.
Edit - I think I would pick Terry though because of his time at Forest ;) :)

Yep, would've been happy with either JT or SG. Let's hope our new captain starts bringing some success :)

It should have been Stevie for me - nice guy n a great leader. JT has bad history behind him.

But what do I know, I only support THE GUNNERS.:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

I would have said StevieG.
For England he still is yet to show his Liverpool form and I think that the captains armband would have made him come out of his shell more for England

Great choice imho. JT capt and SG as vice :smashin: There`s going to be some serious shouting happening on the pitch now :rotfl:

I was hoping it'd be Gary Neville.. thought the extra responsibility might have caused his tache to grow properly ;) but seriously, i'm not disappointed with Terry, but i wasn't with Beckham either, they're both miles apart as people and will both have their own style of captaining. Becks probably did more in the dressing room, and acted like a 'buddy' on the pitch, whereas Terry will probably scream blue murder at his team mates for 90 minutes, both styles of captaining will work well with some players and not with others, the big ego's won't respond well to being yelled at, but luckily at the moment there aren't too many ego's in the team..

I think JT will be the best captain England have had since the great Bobby Moore. Superb leader, a real gee-up merchant who will get stuck in, be vocal, and back his team to the hilt.

The only reservation I have, is I am not 100% sure he's one of the best two English centrebacks suited to international football IF they are all fit...

A fit and focussed Rio IS better. A fit Ledley King COULD be better. Likewise Johnny Woodgate. I know these are contentious views, and I'll add that I think JT is brilliant in the Premiership - probably the best - but international footy requires a little more pace...

All that said, I'm very happy with JT as captain... !

It had to be either JT or SG. The only reservation that I have is that I am not sure that he is the best defender we have got. Ultimately, i fear, that his lack of pace that will let him down on the International scene. If we have all our Centrebacks fit I think his position would be under threat. SG on the other hand will be playing for England for many years to come.

Martin

nashb said:
......JT has bad history behind him.

Mate, of this there is no dispute!

However, the way that he has turned it all around is a testament to his character & dedication and an example to other wayward youths (most of whom couldn't be arsed to change their ways, thinking that they had made it simply because they made the first team)......

JT is a hero in my eyes!:thumbsup:

In my opinion the best place for a captain is at the heart of defence, the fact that we have someone that's vocal there already, a good organiser and obviously well-respected by hir colleagues means it's an easy choice for me.

I don't see enough in Gerrard to justify being England captain, he's too much of an individual for me.

rio1981 said:
In my opinion the best place for a captain is at the heart of defence, the fact that we have someone that's vocal there already, a good organiser and obviously well-respected by hir colleagues means it's an easy choice for me.

I don't see enough in Gerrard to justify being England captain, he's too much of an individual for me.

I personally prefer the Captain to be in central midfield (heart of the team) as he can communicate with all the players from there. Gerrard is a great captain for Liverpool and like JT he leads by example and inspires those around him.

Like I mentioned, both are good choices IMO and I would not have been unhappy with either.

there's something to be said for having a captain in either position

in defence, the captain can see the whole team, and see if players *cough* beckham *cough* are straying from formation or if certain players aren't coping with their particular role, but on the downside, the strikers can't really be 'talked to' except at set pieces due to the distance between them and the captain.

in midfield the captain can easily communicate with anyone on the field without having to leave formation, and is more likely to be at the heart of everything the team do, but has to rely on the defence to hold their own since he would be looking forward most of the time.

dc007 said:
.......The only reservation I have, is I am not 100% sure he's one of the best two English centrebacks suited to international football IF they are all fit...

A fit and focussed Rio IS better. A fit Ledley King COULD be better. Likewise Johnny Woodgate. I know these are contentious views, and I'll add that I think international footy requires a little more pace...

Ferdinand, King & Woodgate better than JT..... Mate, (with loads of respect!) behave yourself!

IMO JT & Stevie G should be the first names on the teamsheet, then build around them.

Whilst I agree that Ferdinand could possibly be in that partnership, he does a different defending role than JT. JT is a braveheart and goes into headers and tackles that others would not. He is also an excellent reader of the game and his composure and distribution has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years, to the point that I feel he know equals Ferdinand in that department. IMO all that Ferdinand has is a bit of extra pace that you think is so vital in todays International football.

Far from Woodgate or King being contenders for the position alongside Terry, I would put Jamie Carragher above both of them.

You mentioned the great Bobby Moore. How much pace did he have? Not much, if my memory serves me, but he could read the game like no other and that is a special attribute to have!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom