John Martyn R.I.P.

KoThreads

Just read he has died. I saw him live in 1976. Loved his music. A sad loss.

Edit

When i saw him at Warwick Uni in 76 i had never heard anything like it before. One bloke, a quad PA and loads of boxes and bits around him that i didn't know what it all did. The next 2 hours blew me away. I've been a fan ever since. His had his bad moments, ill health etc which he knew was self made but never regretted anything he had done. He influenced many but couldn't be copied. In my books up there with all the genuine original guitar players.

Last edited:
I really love the Road to Ruin album he did with his then wife Beverly, he must have only have been in his early twenties when they put that one down.

May you Never, Over the Hill, I'd Rather be the Devil... yep Solid Air's coming out tonight.

KH

bawheid

Novice Member
Sad, sad news.

I was just burning a compilation of his for some work colleagues last night. I make a point of trying to promote the big fella to anyone who has not heard his work.

I've been to more of his concerts than any other artist, first one in '76. A great singer and guitar player and a true individual.

unique

i don't really know his music, but i met him a few years ago as my boss bumped into him in the airport lounge and he was on our plane so we sat next to him as my boss knew him. he seemed a nice guy, but although the name rang a bell, i didn't know much about him. i found out a few years later he had sold something like 21 million records and was quite influential in the 70s. you would have never have guessed it after meeting him, he was just a down to earth regular guy

phillyctr

Novice Member
just read this in the sun today,how very sad,i was only playing bless the weather yesterday aswell,had tickets to see him at the robin in bilston,but was cancelled due to a car accident.

rip john

Billo

Novice Member
RIP, John
I only recommended his Solid Air album to someone here last week, I remember when I first heard that album in the 70's
He was right on form a year or so ago when he was doing his Solid Air tour, I'm glad to have seen him once more.
''Over The Hill''?, Never!!

Flimber

Distinguished Member
I guess like most people, I couldn't hum a tune of his if you held a gun to me but I recognise how important and influential he was. R.I.P.

Can anyone recommend some essential JM listening ?

Mike.

phillyctr

Novice Member
I guess like most people, I couldn't hum a tune of his if you held a gun to me but I recognise how important and influential he was. R.I.P.

Mike.
bless the weather and soild air are must listens and everyone should have a copy.:thumbsup:

Billo

Novice Member
bless the weather and soild air are must listens and everyone should have a copy.:thumbsup:
I would add ''One World'' to that list, the Deluxe double CD is the one to buy.
there is some great organ playing from Stevie Windwood on there

Solid Air, One World, Grace & Danger.

Mind you once you start on these you'll be looking to find some of his other stuff, London Conversation ( his first album when he was 17 I think ) and The Road to Ruin album I mentioned earlier are well worth a listen. He has quite an extensive catalogue.

KH

bawheid

Novice Member
As mentioned already

Solid Air, One World, Grace and Danger to which I would add ;

Sunday's Child - particularly his beautiful arrangement of the traditional English folk song "Spencer The Rover"

Inside Out - some of his best echoplex/guitar work on here

and a later 80s album

Piece By Peice - for the extraordinarily belligerent "John Wayne"

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom