1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis's 28 Day Return Policy

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Daipac, May 11, 2005.

1. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    For those of you who have used this, did they charge you to return the item ?

I have just been on the phone to JL Bristol to ask about returning my PX11 and they say that because I have opened the box they will charge me 10% to return it ?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

I am sure that several people on the forum have returned their goods to JL without being charged ?!?!?!?!?!!?!

2. pa 28 driver

pa 28 driver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the reason for return if I may ask?

3. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am returning it because it is not suitable. Does it matter ?

Having problems getting a decent PQ so I am going to wait a few months till the HDMI stuff comes out.

4. SimonMallion

SimonMallion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Exactly ! On the back of my receipt it says the same thing with no mention of any charges for opening the box.

They are trying to pull a fast one I think.

6. SimonMallion

SimonMallion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But, does this returns policy only apply to online sales?

Section 2, Returns via a John Lewis shop, kind of implies that this is the case?

7. marnstars

marnstars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Daipac. I think you are little bit undecided having knowledge of your history with this TV (not having a go!). Remember with this technology, things are moving on very quickly and probably not the best time for you to have made that jump to plasma?

The power of this forum is great to read others' interpretations of plasmas when in the market themselves. I read good, I read bad and visit stores and make up my own mind. I indeed have read your earlier positive reviews and Dr D's amoungt others and have gone for the LG myself - delivery Friday. Having paid for it last Saturday, low and behold BIG NEGATIVES reported on this forum some 24 hours after I purchased mine. The picture for me on the RF was not too dissimilar (PE50 and LG) in JL, I discussed with the sales guy and had agreement that I should be able to get a equally good digital picture on the LG with a Sky+ / DVD sourcing as the PE50? Time will tell for me, but remember your time also has a cost!

If you paid by credit card, take it up with them.

I think the earlier switch of TV becuase of dust behind the screen "suggested" you were happy with the plasma, but not the fault. Having replaced it, I can see a bit of reasoning behind JL's decision to charge you a return fee.

BTW: When I bought mine last weekend, JL charged a guy 10% for returning an opened scart lead.

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The following is a quote I received from JL a few months back regarding returns and the policy for the stores is exactly the same for JL Online -

"Please be advised that John Lewis Direct operate a 28 day return policy. This means that items can be returned fee of charge for any reason within 28 days from the purchase date for a full refund or replacement. As long as you still have the original packaging and the TV is not damaged, it doesn't matter if it has been used."

I was once, however, charged 10% for returning a sofa which I had a change of heart on but this was fair enough as things like sofas are usually made to order and thus would have to be sold at a discount if returned.

9. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My Friend works for JL and I mentioned your problem.

Just advise JL you purchased the TV for your lounge and it doesnt look correct its just to big, return it in the packaging and all will be fine. Full refund.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

10. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    marnstars, undecided ? Me ? Never !

;)

The truth is that I am not happy with the TV, especially after playing GTA on the PS2 via component last night ! I was getting screen burn already !

neilmcl, that is exactly what it says on their site and also on the back of my receipt ! That is fair enough about the sofa but if you look on the JL website, it states all the EXCEPTIONS to the rules of the 28 day refund and there is no mention at all about electronics.

I have now seeked legal advice and after speaking to a lawyer thru a service provided by the company I work for, I have been told that they do not have a leg to stand on and I have been told that I am within my rights to ask for a full refund so that is what I am going to do.

Yes I am have been indecisive and I sure as hell won't be making that mistake again but when something I buy turns out to be unsatisfactory then as a consumer, I am entitled to a refund the same as everyone.

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    you sure are buddy, if they offer it they must stand by it.....i used to be indecisive too but now i'm not so sure ;-)

12. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    LOL ! :rotfl:

I was expecting people to come on and say "serves your own right for being an indecisive bastard" which is probably true ! BUT, thanks for the words mep. Good to see I am not fighting a losing battle.

I am usually not too good at returning things but after speaking to the manager for over an hour I was so so angry. I was not going to let it go.

It just worries me because my grandmother with a different product, not really into plasmas is me gran, could be put in the same situation and she would just say yes to paying the 10% !

13. marnstars

marnstars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    UNDECIDED! Mine is due to be delivered on Friday - should I cancel! :suicide:

14. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Daipac, I specifically asked the question because I was thinking about buying the Sagem HD-D45 DLP TV but wasn't too sure how it would look in my living room so I wanted to make sure I could get a full refund if I returned it. I emailed John Lewis a second time to make sure that this policy didn't just apply to JL Direct but to their stores as well and was told in no uncertain terms that it would.

Incidentally, those exceptions to the policy refer to items that they won't accept a return for used goods no matter what, such as bedding, mattresses etc which is fair enough.

15. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Totally agree with you neil, totally.

Thanks for that, appreciate the advice.

16. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to hear the news mate, if your getting screen burn playing GTA via component it could be a fault..... Unless your brightnes is turned really high ???

Maybe somebody else could shine some light on this ?

Has anybody else had this problem with any other make of plasma ?

17. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well here goes. I think it serves you right. I've said it. I have made many purchases from JL in Bristol and have always been threated well.

Obviously from what I read you simply brought the wrong product, and you are abusing the store's good intentions of providing a reasonably good service. If someone returned say a camera because it was an unwanted present and it was unopened and unused then I would expect it reasonable to get a full refund. But after playing video games on it and then deciding it wasn't right for you and hoping to get a full refund is just not on. If people think this is acceptable then I would suggest everyone reading the forums to go down to JL buy the best screen that their credit card allows them to. Watch football, play video games etc for 24/7 for 27 days and return it on day 28.

Come on pull the other one. Being offerined a 90% refund is counting yourself lucky.

18. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    but the point is, regardless of whether you feel that Daipac is right or wrong, that if the store offer this they should stand by it. Yes he's taken advantage of it and I wouldn't offer it if i were a retailer but they don't say anything about unwanted presents, they don't even ask for it to be unopened, it is no quibble returns policy and is a marketing ploy that they rely upon not too many people abusing but also know that some will....so they should just accept it.

19. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just dug up a JL receipt. On the back it says:

", we will be happy to exchange or refund provided it is in fully resaleable condition. Returns should be made within a reasonable time (usually 28 dyas) and in original, undamaged packaging."

So, first thing is packaging undamaged? Highly unlikely considering how well the things are packed for transportation. This will include everything down to the shrink wrap on the batteries included if you were to pursue this legally. Second, how do you expect the thing to be in a fully resalable condition when the guy has clocked up time playing GT2 on his PS2. I'll have a fit if I was to be sold his 'used' unit. Finally it says exchange or fund. Doesn't mention if it is at their choice which way to go or if the refund will be 100%.

If I was the store manager I would have shown him the door along time ago. Again, I have found the Bristol JL to be one of the most flexible and accomodating JL branches around. The policies and services are not equal amongst all branches.

20. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    It's really down to a legal definition of "fully resaleable" I suspect...packaging you have to assume is going to be damaged to some extent just by virtue of opening it. I wouldn't buy a plasma with hours on the clock...but they don't exclude plasma, just underwear, bedding and the like......i think they need to wise up and change their wording pretty quick to include plasma as they seem to sell a lot of them.

21. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, just went to the link somebody else posted earlier:

"and we will consider the overall condition of the product being returned when making a refund. (This does not affect your statutory rights in the event of faulty goods.)"

Proves my point JL is not opening themselves for abuse. Your lawers against theirs me thinks. I'll put my bets down on the big boys. Your best bet is to lie and say you never opened the box and that it was an unwanted present for the missues. ROTFLMAO.

22. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    :D oh yes, thats a nice caveat.....alright you win 888.....good luck daipac...looks like you may need it.....look upon the 10% as a rental fee :)

23. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you check the terms and conditions on the web site it does state that they reserve the right to charge a percentage for handling but it don't say how much!

24. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Did you not read my post, it quoted from an official JL email that they were quite willing to pay a refund in full even if the item had been opened and used. So at the end of the day you simply can't fault Dai for taking full advantage of their offer.

25. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasen't trying to fault him I thought this may of been some help as it still has no mention of a 10% charge.

26. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    the email is far more explicit than their official terms and conditions and until they sort it you can't blame people for taking advantage (well you can but they still will)

27. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have that in writing good luck. But I don't think Daipac had such a back up.

If anyone is successful at abusing the service JL will simply tighten up. I would hate for this to happen with their decent price matching polices and 5 yr warranties on TVs and often 2yr warranties for most other AV stuff. JL are not the cheapest but they are reasonable in price and service.

Come on the guy is trying it on. To what levels are we lowering ourselves down to in this country???

28. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've got the wrong end of the stick, here first you say I fault him then you say I blame him, I was just trying to help by showing what could be a loop-whole.

29. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Forgive me if I have the wrond end of the stick or am mis-informed, but I seem to remember someone having this conversation once before and the 10% was for delivery/pickup costs rather than spite.

30. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    So, you are overlooking something. He now has a fault. The screen is damaged in 'normal' use. That's the approach to use, it's not unwanted, it's bust. Having rightly rejected the 1st for a flaw, the 2nd is 'not of merchantable quality'. Money back time methinks. Does anyone here understand why I refuse to sell LG? How many go back? How many PW7/viera go back? I cannot afford to sell LG, and I still don't see how anyone makes a profit from that kind of business. The margins are the same as Panasonic.