1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mccune, Jan 21, 2003.

1. mccune

mccune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just returned from a very frustrating trip to my local JL with my wodge in tact.

After a visit on Satutrday to 'scope the land' i was told that there would be no problem with the suppy of a 42' Panny. They would price match RS @3299 would deliver for free and give a five year warranty, fantastic i thought but i thought i would sleep on it one last night to besure

I returned to JL this evening, in a slight state of excitement only to be told that this item has now been deleted! and if they could get hold of the item, which they very much doubted, they would not price match as this was now not a stock line!!!

i nearly wept :( . However for 4800 i could have the tuner and stand!

What are jl up to... ? has any one had a similar experience?

I am a little unsure as to buying wiht RS, they have never filled me with confidence on previous visit, they just seem interested in shifting boxes and they are not always to bothered what is in them!!

Is this a lost cause with JL

[thread title amended by Spectre. You can't insult retailers in that way]

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's probably a lost cause with JL, and do RS actually have them in stock? You might have a right round the houses on your hands. But there are more outlets in the world.

3. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why not give nexnix a call thay advertise on this forum have used and will use again

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had a look at JL after several people seemed to get good deals here.

They appear now to come out with the line that they only sell the panels with tuners (because that's how they are now supplied to them), so there's no chance of a price match with a non tuner price.

They then gave a line of if you buy without a tuner it isn't a TV so no free 5 year warranty as it would only be a monitor/display that you are buying.

They further add that they will get you one as a special order without a tuner but no price match on special orders !

5. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So get the deal they recommend and sell the tuner. I know you will still be paying slightly more than at RS but the free 5 years makes up for part of that.

6. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problems with JL at Bluewater, which is why I got mine from RS instead, although ironically I did want the tuner as well, but JL couldn't quite work out the codes on their system, so I got bored in the end (I spoke to 2 people, both seemed to struggle with their system, and neither knew squat about plasmas).

The screen I got from RS was a so-called grey import (i.e. an EX model rather than a B) but they've agreed to swap it for a UK model. If you do order from them (and they are very good in terms of customer service) make sure you specify a 'B' model, or get a better discount for an EX model (which, after all are exactly the same thing, apart from the Panny warranty).

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The warranty misconception has been done to death here. Suffice to say there is no difference. Bought from a UK dealer, it has a uk warranty.

8. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, done to death, but there is a difference - UK models get on-site and a loan screen, non-UK models get back to base.

9. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of points if I may;

Goods sourced from inside the European union are NOT 'Grey Imports' . . . that term applies to products imported from outside the EU that were never intended to be sold here and possibly don't match European Specs.

The ONLY difference sourcing a Plasma (or pretty much anything else for that matter) from Europe is it will be covered by the manufacturers Pan-European warranty rather than any specific UK warranty scheme. Oh, and it'll probably be cheaper !!

10. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    mccune,
    you do not need all this aggravation...!
    NexNix have the WP5 in stock, and it cost less than RS. Also, they are very professional (see www.nexnix.co.uk)

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The upshot of enquiries last time warrany came up is that Panny UK would honour a UK warranty on a panny plasma bought from a UK dealer in UK. They know by the serial no. where it's come from, but the warranty is funded by Japan so they don't really care, they'd rather have happy customers, bless them. That's the line I got from them.

12. skippy88

skippy88
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just to bring this back to the original question regarding John Lewis, yes I have also hit a brick wall...

I asked them to price match against leading edge concepts price of £3499 for the Panny 5 (JL price £4794)

As you have said JL said that their price included the tuner and leconcepts did not..although this would have only been another £400.

Rather than JL offering me the panny inc. tuner for £3899 they then went on the add that leconcepts only offered the standard warrenty and then stated:

"Under these circumstances we do not believe that their offer is comparable and regret that we are unable to match their price".

I guess what this and other feedback seems to add upto is that JL have now closed the door on this loophole and I can just imagine the company memo which went round as fast as lightening because they were going to lose money on every plasma they sold... So much for "Never Knowingly Undersold"..

All I can say is well done to those who got in there early and got their price match with 5 year cover.. ;)