John Lewis white goods....any good?

cooey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this has been asked before then my apologies...

I'm in the process of buying my first house with my wife, and we need to buy a washing machine.

We got married a few weeks ago and were given quite a few John Lewis gift vouchers as wedding presents and have seen the John Lewis do their own range of white goods. I'm eyeing up this Buy John Lewis JLWM1412 Slim Depth Washing Machine, 7kg Load, A+++ Energy Rating, 1400rpm Spin, White | John Lewis as the 3 year warranty seems good. Also, my nan gets lifetime discount with John Lewis due to her past career there and we will save a further 15% off this.

I was just wondering if anyone has any JL products and can offer any advice?

Thanks

The Consumers Association which does independent comparative tests of white goods regularly recommend JL branded items.

'Which?' has this summing up of the particular machine you are looking at:

A fairly good all-rounder 67%
Pros
Excellent synthetics cleaning, good rinse, very effective spin, easy to use
Cons
Uses a lot of water

Three months ago we completed a kitchen replacement and I bought John Lewis's own brand Tall Fridge and Freezer because they were a third of the price of identical Neff appliances.

The fridge arrived with a dent in the casing since this would be hidden in the cabinet the delivery driver offered 10% compensation e.g. £70. The Fridge was installed a few days later and although it lit up and the compressor was running it didn't actually chill. We didn't notice this for a couple of days by which time some of the food had started to go off. John Lewis offered to send an engineer to fix the fridge but I insisted on a new one. A new fridge arrived two days later with another dent in the same place! This fridge worked OK so we decided to keep it.

Not had any problem since.

We took out the 5 year extended warranty.

John Lewis offered £100 in gift vouchers for the hassle.

John Lewis state that the white goods are made by AEG but AEG doesn't actually exist it is a brand name that was bought by Electrolux in 2005. The original AEG German company ceased to exist in 1996. If it makes a difference the white goods are actually made by Electrolux.

In our previous house we had a John Lewis Washer/Drier which was used daily for 5 years with no problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom