John Lewis Warranty Advice

b0gstandard

Standard Member
Hi all. After some advice. We purchased an LG 49SJ800V (LG 49SJ800V LED HDR Super UHD 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 49" with Freeview Play, Ultra Slim Design & Harman / Kardon Sound, Silver at John Lewis & Partners) for £599 in (Nov) 2017. We have had 2 replacement network cards in this time and now the mainboard is faulty, so JL have agreed to replace. They have offered the LG 50UP75006LF (LG 50UP75006LF (2021) LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 50 inch with Freeview Play/Freesat HD, Ceramic Black) worth £477. I'm struggling to find out much about this TV, but it seems a much lower spec to me (2 HDMI vs 4, 50Hz vs 100Hz, no magic remote, thicker...). Is this a fair deal or can anyone recommend a suitable alternative? I'm starting to go snow blind from all the model numbers!

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Usage is mainly TV, streaming via an Nvidia shield and gaming on Xbox Series X/Switch.

vickster

Distinguished Member
See if they’ll let you have the Sony 49xh9505 by adding some cash. The best 49” LCD currently (2020 model). No fancy remote but an excellent TV, can handle HDR properly too unlike the rest in that size

Dodgexander

Natural successor to your model is the Nano85/86.
The UP7500 is the new version of the UJ7300 sold back when you bought your SJ800, its a lower end TV.

Not just that, but your current TV is using an IPS panel, whilst the 50" LGs are using VA. Very different characteristics.

Alternative best buys are in my guide here: **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

Beware there's no 2021-22 models yet as they are all too expensive to recommend. You'd be best buying a 2020 model at the moment.

b0gstandard

Standard Member
Cheers all - they have offered an extra £50 as a gesture of goodwill due to the yearly issues we have had. We take a look at the recommended sets and do some shopping.

b0gstandard

Standard Member
A bit late, but I was waiting to see if I was selected by theinsiders to review the new LG G OLED. Didn't get selected so I ordered the Sony 55 XH9505 from Richer Sounds for £749 which I think is a bargain. Thanks again all!

Dodgexander

A bit late, but I was waiting to see if I was selected by theinsiders to review the new LG G OLED. Didn't get selected so I ordered the Sony 55 XH9505 from Richer Sounds for £749 which I think is a bargain. Thanks again all!
Great choice, and a nice upgrade.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
How does this relate to John Lewis warranty replacement? Did they give you cash in the end?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom