1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis want to charge 10% to exchange TV!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Sam, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My dad bought a Tosh TV (32Z44B) and DVD (SD240E) from John lewis a couple of weeks ago for about £600, but he's not been happy with it since it arrived. the general picture quality isn't great and the geometry is particularly shocking (averything appears to be on a right to left slant).

I told him that I'd research another TV for him to buy and suggested he phone JL up for a refund / credit note as the TV isn't up to scratch.

He's just come off the phone and apprently they will only take it back if they charge him 10% of the cost because the TV has been taken out of the box and cables have been used so it's not in 'resellable condition'! So basically, if the quality of the TV isn't any good you've got to have X-ray vision to be able to discover this before it's out of the box. :rolleyes:

Just wondered if anyone had any advice as to how he can go about arguing this? Seems highly unreasonable to me.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,241
    I would get on the phone to them yourself, explain properly that the TV is not working as it should and you want a full refund or an exchange for a different model.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Sam -

Did he say that the item was faulty or that he just wasnt happy with the performance?

If the item is faulty then he is entitled to a full refund/repair/exchange, if however he says that the item just isnt as good as he wanted (ie nothing actually wrong just his own bad choice of model) then it is at the retailers discretion what they do and they would be entitled to deduct a handling fee.

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Complete rubbish, they have breached the contract, if you have suffered a financial loss (telephone or postage etc costs) because of this, you could make a claim against JL. It is not worth making a claim but you could. I would get back on the phone and hope you dont speak to the same person.

Be reasonable and assertive and you should get this resolved quickly

If you worried, phone Trading Standards and they will inform you of your rights. There should be a website on consumer protection. You are completely covered.

5. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think I may give them a call and pose as my dad. I'll let them know that its not up to standard and that I expect a refund / exchange.

Thanks for the reassurance.

6. isko

isko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sam
    If Tosh is technically faulty, seller must take it back. But as far as I understand it is not technically faulty, but you dont like the view and you are unhappy with this purchase. Now;
    If JL is selling SONY, let your father propose them to exchange Toshiba for SONY with a 5 % charge. If they don't accept this offer, you accept their offer, and get money back with 10% cost. Otherwise you will watch a TV everday which wil make you unhappy. This is my opinion. 10 % makes 60 pound which is the cost of a wrong purchase.

7. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well the TV is not faulty as such, but the picture is so below par that it is ridiculous IMO. The whole image is on a slant and that to me is unacceptable. I understand that CRTs will never have perfect geometry, but there is a certain level of quality that is to be expected and the TV doesn't meet that level.

I'll speak to my dad later and get all his details and then make a call. I'll let you know if I get anywhere! :rolleyes:

8. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you bought a brand new car and didn't like it after a week you wouldn't realistically expect the dealer to just simply take it back. However, if after a week you found it was faulty or adjusted incorrectly in such a way that it was not up to the published spec then the dealer would happily take it back and sort it out for you. Same with your tv, if you just don't like the picture on it you can't reasonably expect them to take it back without any financial loss to themselves. If however, you're saying the tv is not up its published spec then I'm sure JL will take it back and sort it for you. Are you saying that if they corrected the problems described you still wouldn't like it ? that's a different story and I think you might be wanting your cake and eat it ? the 'upgrade' route may be a sensible route. Keep us informed as to how you get on. regards, yt.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    There's a BIG BIG difference between choosing something that you then don't like for some cosmetic or other (arguably) insignificant issue, and buying a defective product i.e. buying something that's working as designed, as compared to buying something that isn't.

The question then becomes - is the geometry shortfall on this TV a fault, or "within tolerance"?

I'd press the argument that it's faulty. It's reasonable (IMO) to expect that straight horizontal lines will me more or less straight and more or less horizontal.

JL are generally very good at resolving this type of issue; but as with all things, attitudes to you can be formed by your behaviour and attitude towards them.

So - apologise for having to bring this to their attention and for having to ask them to remedy the situation.

10. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The benefit of buying online rather than from a shop!

I bought the same TV fro JL form my Dad but did so online rather than in store incase he didn't like it in which case he could return it for a full refund no questions.

Is he using a digital feed for the picture or RF? The picture quality on most big Tosh's (and other makes I suspect) is crap thorugh the ariel, you need freeview/Sky/Cable to get a decent picture.

My old boy's has no noticeable geometry problems so I suggest you push for it to be replaced.

11. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    He's using Sky+ via RGB and it still look bad.

Based on the advice given I will argue that it is faulty as the geometry is so bad. thanks

12. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Isn't there an option to 'tilt screen' in the menu?

Most modern tv's have this mode now.

13. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Smaller Tosh TVs don't have a tilt control.

14. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a tolerance for 'picture tilt' - I believe it's standard for all tubes but don't quote me on it.

I think that for picture tilt (this is where the centre of the picture is rotated - note the helpful pixels middle left and right on tosh tubes!) the tolerance is 4mm. However there is a catch - this is measured in a certain direction which I can't recall.

How you measure:

you need a pattern with a centre line. Measure how far above/below the centre pixel the line is on the left and right and work out the difference - for instance 2mm above on the left and 2mm below on the right gives 4mm clockwise rotation. Anything over 5mm is bad.

Basically the TV needs to be assessed. You need to approach JL pushing the fact you think the TV is faulty. See how it goes from there.

15. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the picture is tilted that much then it's probably due to having a magnetic field nearby such as speakers.

If this is the case, then just move the offending speakers causing the problem.

Also like to add that I was not impressed with the Toshiba picture quality either.

I went Pixel Plus, but there is no such thing as a perfect TV.

16. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Magentic fields are more likely to cause colour impurities than geometry errors, although the two may well appear together if severe.

But you are right.......there is no such thing as a perfect TV.......at least, not easily found.

17. IanR

IanR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sam

I emailed John Lewis querying their returns policy, particularly with regards to colour purity problems, and received the following reply, dated 20/10/2004

"...Thank you for your recent email regarding our returns policy. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

I can advise that both John Lewis stores and John Lewis Direct operate a no quibble 28 day return policy. So if you were to notice the colour purity problems within that time then you would be able to return or replace the item without problem.

After the 28 days I would still suggest that if you were unhappy with a product for quality reasons then you would be able to replace it. All of our televisions come with a 2 year guarantee.

I do hope this satisfies your query.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at customerservices@johnlewis.com or please telephone us on 08456 049 049 anytime between 7am and Midnight, 7 days a week and a Customer Service Representative will be happy to assist you..."

Apart from the fact that their TVs carry a standard 5 year guarantee, I was reassured by this reply and ordered a Tosh PF3/SV24 combo, yesterday, as soon as they returned to stock.

Regards
    Ian

18. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Ian,

That's exactly the response that I would expect from JL, and confirms why the vast majority of Forum members rate them so highly. :thumbsup:

Sam,

Sorry to hear of your problems.

You seem to have been very unlucky, but can I suggest that if you persevere, politely but firmly, you stand a good chance of resolving the issue.

Good luck. :)

19. Will_Marsh

Will_Marsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure where you will have got but I have just completed returning my Philips 32PW9509 to JL as I wasn't happy with the dirty screen and vertical bars (I'd been playing for 3 weeks). Was a little worried after reading your post that they would dock 10% but they have refunded the full amount! :clap: I'd persevere, I have nothing but great things to say about JL and so glad that I went with them in the end over an internet retailer. They delivered and picked it up free of charge from my door and price matched, knocking over £300 off list!

If I had decided what TV I was going to buy next I would, without question get it from JL.

Good luck

20. pob

pob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I bought a Sony KV36FS76 earlier this year and I was really unhappy with the picture quality. I contacted JL Sheffield after 24 hours and they came and collected the TV the next day. Full refund to my credit card, no problems.

Cheers

Phil