• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

John Lewis Tv Gaurantee Bad Experience- Advice needed

gunner786

Standard Member
Hi,
November last year i bought a Sony KDL42W653 from john lewis for £499.
2 weeks ago the screen started pixemating, returned it and have just now got a call to offer me a like for like which is a Samsung UE43J5500 because my tv is unrepairable.

My gripe is that it isnt a sony and therefore not like for like. The closest in terms of Brand and screen size they have is KDL43W80 which is £449.
They want £60 more for it which means the tv is costing me £560. My point i made to them is if this happens every year why do i fork out £50-£60 every year extra for a new tv through no fault of my own. If i wanted a samsung i would have bought a samsung then.

Any advice please on what i can do because john lewis are not budging.

AndyRg4

Unfortunately retailer own warranties are riddled with lots of small print, including finding yourself in positions such as this where they can replace a faulty TV with any TV they choose that has at least a comparable specification. It doesn't even have to be new or even from the current range.
The only thing I would do is tell them that you going to seek independent advice from trading standards and explain that when you bought the Sony TV that at no point was it explained that in the event of a fault you could end up with a TV from another manufacturer. Most retailers will buckle at even the mention of trading standards as it is not worth their hassle and expense should things not go their way. They will probably be trying to offer you the TV that costs them the least amount to buy in, Sony TV's have extremely low margin even at retail prices, let alone in the sale periods etc

AndyRg4

If the guy wants a Sony set to replace his Sony it is surely his choice, not him having any brand bias or loyalty towards a brand. Maybe he had a bad experience of Samsung in the past or the one they have offered he is not happy due to the picture etc

BeerMoretti

Novice Member
Ask for a refund instead - under EU law consumer goods should last for a 'reasonable' amount of time which in the case of electronics can be up to 6 years. You are entitled to a refund if they can't replace to your satisfaction - and then use the money to buy the KDL43W80 and keep the change. Put this is in writing and mention the 1979 Sale of Goods act and the 1987 Consumer Protection Act - and state you will take them to a small claims court if required - (any additional warranty they offer can't and will not affect your statuary rights, so their small print is irrelevant ) but you much prefer a more amicable arrangement - I have tried this tactic on several occasions when a retailer has played hard over a warranty and they have always given at that point - let me know if you want more info and good luck!

BM

You would need to prove that the fault was inherent when you purchased the system , also even if you were offered a refund you would have an amount reduced as you have used it for over a year.

BeerMoretti

Novice Member
You would need to prove that the fault was inherent when you purchased the system , also even if you were offered a refund you would have an amount reduced as you have used it for over a year.

I disagree - if the fault occurs after purchase then the warranty still applies. They must repair or replace the goods, if they can't then a refund is reasonable -

Also bear in mind that JL have offered a replacement under their extended guarantee.

I would look at the small print though in the guarantee or better ask JL to point out where they can offer a different make

BeerMoretti

Novice Member
You can disagree as much as you like but after 6 months you are not entitled to a full refund.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/G...paigns/cra/ConsumerRightsSummary-GoodsF2F.pdf

Thanks for that - good to know - however any small print in the warranty won't affect his consumer rights - he should still get most if not all his money back - if he went to a small claims court they would side with the consumer after just over 12 months for a TV - in my opinion :)

They would certainly reduce the amount as the TV is over a year old (probably about 15-20%) , and would also take into account that JL have offered a replacement under their extended warranty.

I think the OPs issue is with the terms of the extended warranty and not sure the Consumer rights issue here will help them.

DB9506

Find the tv you want cheaper elsewhere.

Mention that to JL and ask for pricematch on the replacement.

£60 isn't much in grand scheme of things and they won't want an unhappy punter. Speak to manger and relay the above.

wiz

Distinguished Member
I disagree - if the fault occurs after purchase then the warranty still applies. They must repair or replace the goods, if they can't then a refund is reasonable -

After 6 months it's up to YOU to prove it's a manufacturing fault... I don't makes the rules but there it is !

IrritatedBadger

Distinguished Member
If the guy wants a Sony set to replace his Sony it is surely his choice, not him having any brand bias or loyalty towards a brand. Maybe he had a bad experience of Samsung in the past or the one they have offered he is not happy due to the picture etc

I never said he was bias but one always has to question when someone insists on another of the same brand.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom