John Lewis - the end of 'Never knowingly undersold'

chief barker

Distinguished Member
I didn't know where to put this but seeing as a lot of OLED's are bought from John Lewis' I think it was appropriate to post it here.

Ending in the summer, must have been costing them a lot of money.

Get your orders in before the summer if you are thinking of using them.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately to them, offering additional warranty is what really cost them as people abused them (and yes they have in their thousands and thousands).

I always thought John Lewis provided value for money, sure their items might be 10% more expensive but they provided 5 years guarantee on TV's and 3 years on white goods as well as their good customer service compared to Curry's/Argos.

gibbletts

Can't blame them, margins are pretty tight and they have a business to run. Its possible richer sounds could follow them, then if you want to take a chance and pay a lower price with a less reputable company it's your choice.

dts

Distinguished Member
Profit margins have been very low for the last 10 years or more....the problem with price matching everyone else is getting the add on sales to help combat very low margins.

The biggest problem is that the general public don't care...then when a business goes under people just move on to the next place to buy from.

Buying warrantys is pretty much money for nothing and helps keep the ship afloat so to speak...that's why places like curry's will survive.

D

Deleted member 770082

99% of the time . I personally purchase from Richersounds , have done so for a good many years and hopefully will continue to do so

mikej

They've got to do whatever they've got to do to survive I guess but, as far as TVs are concerned, if they don't attempt to remain competitive and at least get close to the other retailers who also include extended warranties, then I suspect they will become just another high-street store (like Currys) where many people go to view TVs and then end up buying elsewhere.

williemaykit

They've got to do whatever they've got to do to survive I guess but, as far as TVs are concerned, if they don't attempt to remain competitive and at least get close to the other retailers who also include extended warranties, then I suspect they will become just another high-street store (like Currys) where many people go to view TVs and then end up buying elsewhere.
It's why I switched to buying TVs from Costco. Decent prices, 90 day returns and 5 year warranty included on TVs. Customer service is great if there are issues. It is what John Lewis used to be.

KingsGambit

Standard Member
The change seems to be a solution to a problem of their own making.
However, Never Knowingly Undersold is no longer enough to assure trust because it applies to fewer and fewer sales as shopping moves increasingly online, and isn’t applicable to online-only retailers
The question really is, why doesn't "NKU" apply to online-only? I mean, changing that would address the issue since "it applies to however and wherever you shop - in store or online".

I think it's corporate speak for an end to price matching. I am not making any judgements either way on this, just observing.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom