1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis - Slaps forehead!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by freekb, Aug 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. freekb

freekb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking forward to seeing the Hitachi 32LD7200 in action at John Lewis in sloane square (Peter Jones), and compare it to other top of the bill toys. I wasn't impressed - with any of the LCD's - not the new panny, not the hitachi, nothing... They all had a fair bit of artefacts and noise, sure they were better than the 17" disasters they had on display, but it didn't get me excited.
    The only thing that looked half way decent was a £900 Sony Wega CRT, nothing too stellar though.
    Disappointment - LCD clearly isn't ready for prime time I thought.

When I had a look at the connections at the back of the hitachi, I realised why it was a waste of time. All the tellies are plugged in via _antenna_, sharing a single source - a copy of "The Great Escape".
    So, to convince you to spend £1500+ on a 2005 TV, they show you a 1960's movie, running over a 1940's coax connector. :rolleyes:

On my way out I spotted The X-Men playing on a single Sony LCD - hooked up to something I couldn't quite work out, but it was absolutely gorgeous. LCD's don't suck, just JL's setup.

Anyone know where I can view the Hitachi properly set-up in London?

2. paulg

paulg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can try Harronds they have them all set up with a HD source

3. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,867
    Know what you mean. Went into John Lewis in Kingston on Saturday - same thing. Awful set up and connections - complete waste of time.

4. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    My local Audio T shop told me that they were convinced that one of their Sharp LCDs was broken when they first hooked it up because the picture was so bad. It took them some time to get it configure to a decent picture. I think the likes of most Currys, Comet, John Lewis branches do not have the skill or patience to set-up their screens correctly.

5. freekb

freekb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Altough HD sources are nice, it's not very realistic either - where exactly am I going to find HD content?

How about shops hooking these things up to plain DVD players (shock!) over DVI? I reckon that's probably the most common scenario.

My preference would be to see DIVX's and DVD's played back via HTPC's, but I guess that too fringe.

6. HCK

HCK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Most Comets around the country now hava dedicated HD set up on their Plasma and LCD ranges. Just been in today and they all look fab.

7. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,786
    I was going to say the same. Believe it or not, but Comet is the best place to see HD demos, even if not the best place to buy the set.

My local store appears to be alternating a HD PC-based demo between a row of HD plasma sets one week, and a row of HD LCDs the next. They also have a HD demo of a Sagem DLP RPTV.