John Lewis SCAM....

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by reddwarf2002, Feb 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. reddwarf2002

reddwarf2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    (Prank call - read below)
    I'm posting this just to make people vigilant incase these people try this again...

Just had a call from a guy claiming to call from John Lewis where I bought my TV saying that Samsung issued a recall on my TV and they had to collect it. The alarm bells started ringing when he offered to pay(refund) £1500 for the TV (when I only paid £720!!). He seemed to know my details and when the TV was delivered (yesterday) and where it was delivered from so my suspicion is the delivery man! The parcel had my mobile number printed on it so that would explain how he got the details.

Anyway, I got suspicious and offered to call him back after checking that it was genuine. Called JL in Trafford Centre and they hadn't heard his name or anything about a product recall on LE40A686. It was definitely a scam. They said they would investigate it.

Hope this helps someone avoid a very big SCAM!:mad::mad::mad:

EDIT (19.02.2009):
    Turned out to be a prank call from a stupid friend.:eek: This stupid friend who works for Comet got his colleague to call me from his store. Now if I wasn't such a nice guy, I would get this so called friend fired for pulling a stunt like that. I'm sure John Lewis would've been very interested to pursue this since it is a competing business! However, I have spoken to the lady in business protection team and sorted this out so she doesn't start pointing the finger at the delivery guy.:D Sorry for raising a false alarm...still it could have been worse!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. kpatm

kpatm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Contact the Police as well.

3. reddwarf2002

reddwarf2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for the advice mate, but I don't think it's worth the hassle of contacting the police. Very unlikely that they'd be able to trace these rats down (no proof)!

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    You could at least get them involved mate, who knows how many people have fallen victim to this scam, if there is a real problem the police will be able to find out where the call to you came from.

And i thought JL used their own staff to deliver so it's an inside job? Surely they would want to know!

5. simon11

simon11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The police as a rule are not interested. Too busy doing people selling cd's in the market and sorting people with no tax disc.
    It would never get investigated!

6. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,887
    Hi reddwarf2002

Thanks for posting this and passing on the information. JL are a responsible firm and I don't think one can question their integrity.

What you did was totally correct and contacting the police would'nt do any good because no laws were broken. The intent was there but you were wise to cotton on to the scam.

Well done. :clap:

Alan

7. reddwarf2002

reddwarf2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Just had a call from lady in the John Lewis Business Protection division and she took some more details from me and said that she would investigate it.

I did point out that I thought it was the delivery men behind it! She said she would ring me when she got more information. Will wait and see but atleast they are now aware of it so they can stop it from escalating further.:thumbsup:

8. tempusseven

tempusseven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If he rang your mobile dont you still have a record of the number he rang from. Pass that on to JL and see if they can track him down. Imagine if it is an inside job and JL dial it and one of their own guys phones starts ringing :suicide:

9. reddwarf2002

reddwarf2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    No, it was a withheld number.

10. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    The phone companies can provide withheld numbers if you have the date and time of the call. However, they would probably need a police request to give out that information....

11. ukmikk

ukmikk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for posting this info Red, this is the sort of thing that could catch out the unwary. Certainly a new one on me.

For my money I would inform the police, if they choose not to act then thats up to them, but they certainly wont if you dont tell them. If they get several reports then sooner or later they'll think its worth having a look into.

Mind you, I dont even answer withheld numbers - if I cant see who it is, then I dont wanna speak to 'em.

PS. I've got the same set from JL. Hope youre enjoying yours as much as I am!

12. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Off-Topic, people like callout engineers keep their number withheld when calling customers, don't like being called back by irrate customers or after work hours, don't keep to that policy if your expecting a call.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    But would you elave a message? Most people who are important or you would want to speak to will leave a message....

Interesting scam what is the benfit of buying a secondhand screen for twice the street price? Stolen cheque book scam? Fake cash scam?

14. ukmikk

ukmikk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry, but in my view a genuine caller will have no reason to withhold their number. No number, no answer.

The scammers will probably take the set away with the promise of a refund (dont forget they claim to be representing JL) which of course never happens.

15. reddwarf2002

reddwarf2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    No, he was implying that John Lewis would give me the money, not the person picking up the set!! He gets the set and you don't get your money cos John Lewis don't know anything about it!

16. reddwarf2002

reddwarf2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22

Yes ukmikk, I really like my set too. It's a huge improvement on my previous LG 32LC46.:)

There's some back light bleed...I reckon a lot of the people on here would have thrown a tantrum seeing it but I'm not too fussed!:rotfl: The only thing I'm trying to figure out is how to enable DNIe. It's turned off and greyed out on my set. Is it the same on yours? (EDIT: Sorry I was being a plonker, it's been answered elsehwere and also in the manual!!)

And yes, I did go to the police station to report it but alas they were closed (never there when you need them eh!?). :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  17. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Thanks for highlighting this reddwarf2002 :thumbsup: to everyone else can we stop any speculation about inside job..etc, lets wait to see if JL get back to reddwarf2002 with anymore information.

Curly

18. THFC

THFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Surely it's now down to John Lewis to chase this as it's attempted fraud, the fraudsters acting on JL behalf - supposedly.

And the Police can find the number if requested.

You have done everything you can.

Well done for alerting others.

19. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I'd say you need to report it to the police. If they're not interested then they're not interested. Nothing lost. However if they have your details then they may have credit card details etc. I'd say it was beyond a John Lewis internal investigation.

20. glesgaguyav

glesgaguyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I recently purchased a washing machine from JL, they used an oustide contractor for delivery, they did give a name when they phoned about delivery on behalf of JL but I can't remember it.
    I would imagine it would be hard for JL to investigate if it's not "in house"

21. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    To be honest, it could be anyone that could have laid eyes on the order...

22. reddwarf2002

reddwarf2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The reason I suspect the delivery men behind this (I could be completely wrong) is because after they had delivered my TV they hung around outside for a bit while they made a phone call. At the time I didn't take any notice of it even though my wife asked me why the delivery men were still there (too busy looking at my new tv!:D).

Ok, so they could have been phoning the next customer to say that they were coming. However, they did not call me before coming so it is therefore reasonable to think that they did not call a customer instead a 'friend' possibly to whom they passed on my information. Getting someone else to do the dirty deed would make it very difficult to trace it down and that is exactly what might have happened.

Just to update everyone, the lady from the John Lewis Business protection rang again to say that she hadn't been able to do much investigation but she will make it a priority when she comes back into office next Thursday. She did say that it is a very important issue that I have raised and that the present return/refund system needs to be looked at as it could be susceptible to fraud. She will be discussing this with the bigwigs next week.

I also have a number that the fraudster gave me to ring him back on which I haven't rang yet but passed onto Business protection. She said that she rang it and a man answered it but she didn't know what to say so she hung up. She's going to look through all the call records to see if any employee has rang that number or own that number! I also asked her to see if she could find out who the delivery men spoke to after making the delivery to my house. That might give us a big clue. If the men didn't call a customer who did they call exactly?

She is also going to get the manager of the delivery men to have a word with them regarding this as well as doing a background check on them.

The mystery continues...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  23. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,887
    Hi reddwarf2002

This is an interesting thread and you have highlighted an issue which is developing into a saga.

However, I recommend not to get too 'fixated' about the attempted fraud. It might be an idea just to step back from this for a little while. :)

Alan

24. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I know what your saying about the delivery bloke, but you can look at any of his actions and see two different sides to them. While not being a delivery driver (field engineer) I offen have to make long calls between jobs, can someone tell the difference from their curtain twiching window between a work call and a personal call? Also have to use my laptop from the van, I use GPRS but you'd be surpised how many people think i'm stealing their internets...

Anyway... glad the lady from JL is looking into it, sounds like she has no idea what she's doing, silent calling the number, not knowing what to say... yes a man answered it! lol and is now about to tip off all the delivery driver as to whats going on, bet the trail goes cold after she does that!

If it were the driver it would be easy enough to work out if they get more reports, basically it'll all be people he's delivered to, if not then its likely higher up the chain.

25. reddwarf2002

reddwarf2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    :hiya:
    :rotfl:

26. simon11

simon11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Is this a "Who done it"!!

I believe it was the cleaner at JL who was sweeping behind the chairman who was talking to his secretary whilst the office girl was taking the order.

Or anyone else!! Other than the delivery man who would definately get caught on his second attempt!

I wouldn't accuse the driver because he phoned some one.
    He would have done this out of your sight if he was pulling a scam. Also his mobile phone call can easily be traced!

:nono:

27. fishfash

fishfash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    :rotfl:

Now that is a classic, and she is from the John Lewis Business protection department. :eek: