John Lewis Returns

sammy20v

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all, where is the best place to buy TV's these days if you want to try a few panels etc. I recently bought a Sony 65x95J and although I am pretty happy with it I phoned John Lewis as I was thinking to try an LG OLED instead however I was told that once the TV has been turned on it can't be returned. Its not an issue as it was a stab in the dark and I have owned the TV for 30 days however in the past I have never had an issue swapping out a TV at JL (I phoned twice and spoke to 2 different people and they repeated the same line to me)

I am pretty certain I will be replacing this panel at the end of next year so I need to look somewhere else for my TV's from now on.

Richer Sounds ?

It was purchased online, I am no stranger to buying TV's but my last 65X9305E lasted me 4 years so I was out of the loop. I have always used JL as they have always been super helpful especially in situations like this. If they had said I was out of the window for returns I would have been ok but to be shut down twice by them saying it had been turned on just doesn't seem ok. I will move to Richer Sounds next time as they have always been great with stuff in the past but their returns were not always as simple as JL.

Seems times have changed.

The returns process isn’t there cause you fancy “trying an oled” though is it, it’s for faults. Had you phoned up with a fault then the call will have likely taken a different course.

You’ll probably find RS don’t encourage this behaviour either as I think they charge a restocking fee.

The returns process isn’t there cause you fancy “trying an oled” though is it, it’s for faults. Had you phoned up with a fault then the call will have likely taken a different course.

You’ll probably find RS don’t encourage this behaviour either as I think they charge a restocking fee.

I do agree with you here but they have always been great in the past and I am pretty sure had I complained of DSE or banding etc they would have said within spec or some such nonsense as they were very quick to shut me down, especially the second time without me mentioning why I wanted to return it.

I do agree with you here but they have always been great in the past and I am pretty sure had I complained of DSE or banding etc they would have said within spec or some such nonsense as they were very quick to shut me down, especially the second time without me mentioning why I wanted to return it.
Curry’s meant to be half decent for returns (not speaking from experience just what I’ve read in owners threads). As with everything I think it’ll depend on who is dealing with your query as to how easy the process is.

From what I’ve read, Costco will accept returns within the first 90 days.

Costco are best for the returns process that i think u fancy.. but even they will ban u eventually if u keep messing them about.

JL were fantastic with me. I bought an OLED from them 77'' CX, told them an issue with it, they didnt ask for a photo, took my word for it, scheduled a replacement. Replacement was on order for a few months due to COVID, then I was a bit busy for 2 months so asked them if I could delay the replacement.. they said sure.. then I got the replacement... that was faulty too (became faulty after 1-2 monhts).. so I had 6 months of 77'' OLED TV in my house then finally said i might as well do a refund which they agreed to.

in this time they traded me up form the 77 CX to the 77'' GX and threw in a custom installation.

i think u probably on the phone said to the letter what their returns policy isn't for so they obviously rejected ur request. sadly u would have had to fib to try out a new TV.. aka say this one is faulty.

Any retailer will allow a return for a fault or issue. Few will let you just send it back cos you fancy doing so. The thing is how easy or hard the retailer make it to swap out a faulty item. JL used to be superb - especially for one swap they’d do it without question. But they’ve absolutely got worse over the years in this regard. I suspect though it’s basically down to manufacturers and their desire to avoid returns and increase ‘tolerances’. Curry’s are shocking but I’ve never had an issue with a return to them. I mean it’s currys but they usually seem ok on returns for issues. As said you have limited lives with major retailers these days. Bad panel - they’ll usually swap the TV out. Bur probably won’t do a second time anymore - not without a fuss. So chasing a perfect panel is not as easy as it was in 2012 ish.

The reason stores are clamping down on returns is because people are abusing the system.If you have genuine fault then yes they will sort it but you can’t return a tv because you fancy a change or trying another.

On the other hand they are asking people to part with potentially thousands of pounds without them really knowing how it performs in their homes. More could be done to help This situation, e.g. loner units, delivery charges at customers cost (trade rate) unless they buy the TV/subsequent TV etc. but until we get change then I can understand the ’wanting to try’ approach.

On the other hand they are asking people to part with potentially thousands of pounds without them really knowing how it performs in their homes. More could be done to help This situation, e.g. loner units, delivery charges at customers cost (trade rate) unless they buy the TV/subsequent TV etc. but until we get change then I can understand the ’wanting to try’ approach.

Try returning a car you don't like - and that's even more expensive.

Electrical retail margins aren't that great and once an item has been powered up it is technically used so can then only be sold at a discount - so at a stroke you've probably wiped out half the retailers margin.

TV prices are actually far lower than is healthy. Back in the late 80s / early 90s I was on the shop floor of a major chain - in around 1990 a 21" Panasonic or Sony set would cost around £ 400 add Nicam to that and it was around £ 500. Go up to a 28" and you were between £ 700 and £ 1000.

Just taking inflation that basic 21" £ 400 set should be about £ 950 today. Yet that sort of price buys you a decent high spec 50" LCD or even 48" OLEDs.

So if you want all the trimmings like "try before you buy", swap out if you don't like it etc, you really can't then shop around to get the lowest price. The retailers can't afford to do those things on the margins they have.

I usually test drive the cars I buy and only buy if I’m happy with it. My previous car I actually bought after using a loner car for a weekend.
That’s why I suggested shops using loner TVs. So they don’t need to hand out new TVs.
Pick up/shipping at customers expense. It’s quite common practice in other areas. Musical instruments for example, you need to try them out at home or in your setting and many items are sent on approval.

Pretty poor JL experience myself, had a positive one with them several years ago got an TV unit which had a scratch got 200 off it rather then returning it.

But the LG CX purchase that broke down 3 months after a year ago, they didn't want to exchange it and only an LG repair number at best. LG were not bad tbf, but still took 2 months of back n forth and no repair so requested JL for a full refund since it went over the 8 week repair time frame, they agreed to the full refund but only when LG sent the RMA request and refund themselves back to JL.

So to me JL customer services did not really do well enough in that situation.

I would rather not go back to JL this time round and try costco, who appear to just follow that 6 year should really last rule and apparently just exchange the faulty unit or refund. Quick and simple how it really should be, I hope Costco keep that service up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom