John Lewis Questions

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by .hack, Sep 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Got a few questions I'd like to ask and get answered now so I'm prepared: :)

Q1: What do I say if I want a full refund/replacement for my TX32LXD70 from JL with dead pixels?

Q2: Can anyone give me a magic quote that will make any possible annoying JL CS person stop telling me I need to pay 20% to return my TX32LXD70?

- JL have a store policy that states you have to pay up to 20% for returning stuff. This isn't stated in DSR, the only thing DSR tells you is that you have to pay the return shipping costs should you wish to return a non-faulty product. I'll hopefully have no trouble explaining to JL that store policy doesn't go over the law.
    - Most LCD manufacturers don't mind dead pixels, backing up the retailer by allowing a stupid amount before dead pixels can be considered a fault.

^ The above two points have got me concerned should my TV arrive with 3 dead pixels or something. As far as I know, JL send out an engineer to confirm the fault when they swap/collect, so lying through my teeth about problems that don't exist won't help me.

Any advice?

2. nitro23456

nitro23456
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    so let me get this straight...

your TV hasent even arrived and you are worrying about sending it back with imaginery faults that wont happen?

3. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Don't you think it's better to be prepared in advance than wait for someone to answer IF I end up in a situation like I described above?

I'm probably worrying too much, but you can't really blame if you've had my TV luck over the last few years!

Thanks for answering my question, btw. :)

4. nitro23456

nitro23456
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    sorry dude, i wasnt meaning to sound rude.

If you ordered it online, you can send it back even if its perfect.

It is VERY unlikely that a panasonic will arrive with dead pixels..... you could try pretending that it buzzes (which it wont) to send it back?

I should relax and wait and see - you'll put yourself into an early grave with all this worry. You have picked a set that is probably the least likely to have problems.

5. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Read through my post I again - I mentioned that JL send an engineer to confirm the fault when replacing/collecting. Not going to look too good if I say it's buzzing loudly and it's silent when the engineer comes, is it? :rotfl:

No offence taken, I'm acting a bit pathetic over this. I just find it impossible to believe the TV will be without some fairly serious flaw that will do my head in.

6. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64

The DSR's override JL's 28 day 20% restocking thing, that only applys to instore purchases or where you ordered online but your 7 days are up. Only then might you wish to return under the JL policy. So if your set arrives, and you find it buzzes, and there is dead pixels I would return it as faulty unless you feel that an engineer wouldn't be able to verify this fact. But the EASIEST thing to do would be to return it under the DSRs, if you dont want it regardless of whether faulty or not. They can then only charge you the return delivery fee.

One reason why I'm happier ordering it from a store now than over the phone is because, if there is any of these problems I will pack the thing up, march back into the store with my receipt and demand a replacement. I will cause a damn scene too if they don't give (but I'm sure they will). Also, if you purchase using a credit card you have additional rights under the consumer protection act so I plan to use my card for this purchase.

7. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I shouldn't have any issues getting a replacement/full refund using DSR if it's buzzing; no one can deny that's a fault and the engineer (assuming he isn't a prick) shouldn't have any issue agreeing to the swap/full refund.

Dead pixels are buggers because of the number you need to get some manufacturers to accept it as an actual fault. JL might request I phone Panasonic and check if they have zero dead pixel policy, getting a reference number. I couldn't find information online about how Panasonic are with dead pixels.

Bah, I need to stop worrying. Getting a new TV is causing me more bloody stress than enjoyment!!!

8. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Doesn't matter if it buzzes, or has 1 dead pixel, 10 or none the DSR's say you can return it free of charge FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN CHANGING YOUR MIND! Remember that! Only have to pay the cost of JL picking it up from you.

9. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Yes, and that's what I'm getting at by full refund, I know DSR gives me the right to demand a full refund (excluding return costs) on orders not made in person. I'm guessing the return costs will be around £50... JL could charge whatever they like.

10. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yes, it will be around £50. But that's why, in a way, buying from a store is easier. You then can return it to said store, and deal with the staff in person. It's harder for them to fob you off then. And you don't get the del charge for return. I'm sure I've read about fussy people returning TV's to stores, the stores even trying the stuff out instore with said people, and the faults not showing up however to avoid a scene the staff will accept the return.

11. .hack

.hack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I jumped through all the hoops I did just to buy a TV from JL, so let's hope the famed JL CS turns out to be easy to deal with...for both of our TVs.

I can't really think of a way to get around paying for the return if Panasonic do indeed allow something like 8 dead pixels. Lying will only make me look stupid if I need an engineer to verify the fault to avoid paying for the return.

.......Take my mind off this, X Factor is failing to do so. Have you played DQVIII anymore? :p

12. lovegadgets

lovegadgets

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Before I called JL to PM a Sony KDL-46W2000 LCD TV, I have checked with the shop (Sounds & Vision) that they have it in their shop and can demo too.

JL today sent me a letter to inform that they cannot PM the price from S&V because they don't have in their shop.

What should I do?
    Please advice.

Regards
    Charles

13. Pontiac

Pontiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Go and take a picture of it in the store with the price tag on it if possible. Take a couple of pics. And then show it to JL. I've heard of this done successfully before. Either that, or try another JL branch.

14. techno12

techno12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Beware JL - there's some kind of worship of the store on this forum for some strange reason (the 5 year guarantee perhaps).

I've never encounted worse customer service - ever.

Basically, it's taken me 18 days to get my money back on my faulty Sharp LCD telly (okay, the individual TV isn't faulty, its the entire model range that is - random black screens when using XBox360 via component. I can't live with that).

Umpteen calls and promises of "we'll call you back" and they never did.

Incredibly stressfull, one person I spoke to even insinuated I was trying to defraud JL as she couldn't find my TV in the 'back room', and hence couldn't give a refund - err, as soon as they picked it up it's their responsibility - not mine.

All sorted now, but I'm going to send a formal complaint anyway. I've never written one in my life, but I feel so strongly about the appalling customer service I received they need to know, if only to improve in the future..