1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis Pricematch

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by thepange, Jul 31, 2002.

1. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me how the JL pricematch works??

After having returned 4 faulty TVs to Comet and eventually getting a refund, i'm now going to JL to try again.

I think I've narrowed my choice down to 2, but want to get the best deal on the price. Either: JVC AV-28R25EK
    or SONY KV28LS60

Will they only match prices local to the actual store where purchasing from or can it be anywhere in the UK?? I have been buying WHAT VIDEO & TV recently and have seen some low prices for these models in certain ads, but since they are not local to the store, would they match the price?

(I assume that they will not match Internet prices)

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be most grateful. I might go & have a look tomorrow so I want to be prepared before I go!!

Cheers

2. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    They told me it had to be

1. Not an Internet store
    2. In stock
    3. Within 40 miles (I assume of any John Lewis store)

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Why not try this from another angle? Find the retailer whom you consider to offer the best in aftersales service (regardless of cost) and invoke the Barcaley card price promise . :)

4. cerouax

cerouax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I phoned them earlier today, thanks to some good advice from one of the members here...
    They took the details of the stores (with prices) and said they'd contact me tommorrow. They will not match internet or mail order, but seemed fine about the fact that I have a South Wales address and was trying to match Scottish stores (Robert Whyte and Robertsons). It was the Bristol branch I contacted.
    I think the deal is if another store (the old fashioned bricks and mortar building things that sell stuff) has the item for a lower price they will match it. I'm not 100% on this, but I will let you know the outcome. If they do it, be warned, there will be a very excited rant going on this thread. If they don't then it looks like I'll be waiting a while for stock to arrive at Robertsons.
    My advice on your visit tomorrow is to write down (don't take the ads, they are mail order in mags) the details of each store and see what happens. Keep us informed!
    Good luck!

One more thing, double check there is a Tilt function on the JVC, I don't think the 28 inch models have one, I've already sent back one to Comet due to a slanting screen. I think its been covered on this forum, so try a search.

5. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice. The Barclaycard price promise sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately I dont have a Barclaycard, might be worth getting one though if i can save some money.

I will be going to the JL store in Glasgow so if anyone knows of any place near that does good prices, I would be interested to hear.........................

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Have a look in CostCo in Springburn.They have some decent deals on.Iirc the sets are also covered by a 3 year warranty.

7. cerouax

cerouax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    www.pricerunner.com will list the best prices and the retailers(with reviews of the retailers also) offering them, Robert Whyte has a Glasgow head office, don't know about stores. Robertsons are all through Scotland I think, and if their online prices and store prices are the same then try them.

8. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips....i'll let you know how i get on.

;)

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to own the JVC AV28R25 model but sent it back for a 5mm tilt and a poor RGB picture. I now own the Sony KV28LS60 and am extremely happy with it (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37326). In my opinion, it's a much better TV than the JVC model and well worth the extra dosh ;)

10. wideangle

wideangle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL will price match locally - i think they are picky when looking nationally. I have had JL in Cambridge price match with Hi Spek in St Albans - not exactly local but not the other end of the country either.... For a price match to apply the goods must be in stock at the 'other' retailer.

I am currently waiting for the JVC from JL in Peterborough. This was on a local pricematch at £529 so I ordered it (just give your name and contact details, no deposit required). Be advised that if you go for the JVC you will be 1 of nearly 100 people who are waiting for this set from JL nationally - there is no definite date for delivery from JVC - could be weeks, months who knows....

Hope it helps.
    Nick.

11. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    JL *used* to price match internet prices as long as you brought along some proof of the price that would allow a particular department to confirm it was genuine.

Unfortunately they stopped it a while ago (last October I think) we were purchasing a Toshiba VCR in Peter Jones (JL store in Sloane Square, London) and got a price match. However the manager of the department informed us that from the end of that month, they were changing their "never knowingly undersold" (TM) policy to exclude the internet. :(

12. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I wanted to purchase a Philips 9607- JL retails that at £1995 + free delivery +5 year warranty
    I went into Cheadle store and advised them that I could get this set in various stores in Bolton, well advertised in this magazine-varying prices from £166 down to £1530. The attitude displayed by the salesman was more obstructive than helpful and the advice basically was got and get it from them. I pointed out that the 5 year warranty was not really relevant or required as I had a full blown cover with Norwich Union on everything electrical.
    The outcome was I purchased it from Saga for £1503 - free delivery.

Just before I purchased the set I received a letter from Customer relation-JL asking why I had'nt used my store card for a while-I took the opportunity to point out that I was not impressed with the 'Never Knowingly Undersold' Claim-enclosed a copy of the Saga bill and was looking forward to their comments.
    I would also point out that the Saga price match was resolved within 5 seconds by the girl on the phone with no reference to anyone. Had a slight scratch on one of the silver fronted panels of the stand- straight away -we will send you a replacement.
    If you are over 50-try Saga-if you are not ask your parents.
    NJ

13. androidgb

androidgb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone tell me about the Saga Price Match.

There's got to something good about be over 50!

;)

14. Kentish

Kentish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allders were prepared to price match net prices when I bought my Tosh.all I neede was a print of the web page from that day.They then rang the retailler to confirm the price and then matched it.However when I went in they were a bit miffed at the price I was asking them to match,but they said they would after a phone call.However because of their salesmans attitued,I bought on line anyway.

Cheers

15. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK a wee update on my search for a decent TV set.........hopefully 5th time lucky!

I ended up getting the Sony KV28LS60, as there seemed to be a lot of people unhappy with the JVC model.

I had been looking for the best price on the Sony, and the best I found were Robert Whyte @ £610, and Argos @ £749.

I asked JL to pricematch as they had it on sale for £895......a bit pricey if you ask me!

As Robert Whyte is closed on Sundays, they couldn't pricematch them, but did confirm with Argos and so I paid £749 (incl delivery + 5 yr warranty).

They are gonna contact Robert Whyte this week and if they do have them in stock at the lower price they will refund the difference.

I'm really pleased with the service I recieved in JL after my nightmare experiences with Comet. I just hope that my TV is OK when it arrives and that there are no major problems with it.
    Its being delivered on Thursday and I can't wait!!

I'll keep you all posted....................

:)

16. Neil_F

Neil_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is probably just nit-picking but:
    First of all, John Lewis are a good store to deal with. In my experience if there is a fault/problem with any purchase, they will sort it out quickly. But their "never knowingly undersold" is not true in my experiences with them. I have got JL to price match on numerous occasions but they never seem to reduce the displayed price in their store. Thus they now know the lowest price but won't pass it on to new customers.
    Just a comment.

17. androidgb

androidgb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil, you're absolutely right on that point.

Do they still use that message, because I think they would be on sticky ground if some disgruntled customer decided to report them to the relevant body.

However, their service is usually so good, perhaps they don't have disgruntled customers !!

18. Neil_F

Neil_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They still display the "never knowingly" at our local JL.
    I don't believe I have ever met a disgruntled JL customer but there must be one somewhere. Sometimes the phrase "you get what you pay for" is worth considering - maybe, possibly.

19. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I tend to agree with you about them not reducing the price for future customers.

When I was in yesterday they seemed to be surprised that I had found the same model in Argos for £150 less than their selling price, and a possibility that Robert Whyte has it on sale for £290 less than their price.

I cant see them reducing the ticket price by that much, although I would have thought they will now have to reduce to the same as Argos, being a national company.

I suppose it pays to do your homework before going to purchase, you just feel sorry for your average customer who doesnt realise the savings that can be made by doing a bit of research beforehand.

Anyway only 3 days to go now.........................................

20. George G

George G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just come back from Cheadle and found a very similar thing. The salesman in the store was rude and totally dismissive of any possibility of doing a price match. I also pointed out the Sound & Vision store in Bolton that was selling the set 450 pounds cheaper but was told flat out that JL did not price match against them despite the fact that they offer an identical product (set+stand+5yr warranty). Furthermore he point blank refused to submit a price match form to their undersales department again saying that there was no point as they didn't price match the 9607.

From reading some of the other posts on this forum it seems that some of you have had more luck and/or got in early before JL have stopped doing pricematching as Joe public might understand it.

Such is life - They've lost another sale and I guess I'll try elsewhere.

21. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hmmm....

Your experience may change if you ever have to contact them to get a repair. I don't think the repairers they use are instilled with the same set of values that John Lewis staff are. What's worse is that the JL staff seem all to ready to accept the misinformation quoted at them by their repairers.

I was also rather upset to find that the person I'd spent several phone calls describing my problem to on the Tuesday only worked one day a week and I had to go through the same process on Wednesday because their procedures don't seem to entail much record keeping.

Small problems I know compared with some other retailers and possibly only confined to my experiences with the Cribbs Causeway store.

22. cerouax

cerouax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    John Lewis finally got back to me today, from around a week ago. I phoned them a couple of days after my original pricematch query, and I felt a little fobbed off, as they said that all the lines they'd tried were engaged... so I was left feeling a little sceptical and started checking out the online stores once more.
    However, that's all changed:D They have agreed to pricematch HiSpek, but only with the delivery cost added (consider it a 5 yr guarantee). They'd left a message with my girlfriend... I was happy...I phoned them asap...they confirmed...but... it's not in stock:mad:
    Still, I feel a lot better about the store now, and I will wait for my 28PW9617 at £960, the girl was very pleasant on the phone, and arranged for a double check on the stock, and when the delivery may be due. Very helpful. I'm phoning them tomorrow to get this info, needless to say I'm very impressed so far.
    It's just the wait...
    (Thanks again to rct for the excellent advice)

23. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Your impressed with that ? :confused:

24. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Glad you've got it ordered cerouax... hopefully you'll be able to get your hands on it sooner rather than later!

btw. you're welcome ;)

25. cerouax

cerouax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Lynx- Looking back on those quotes, I see what you mean, but what I was trying to convey is that after feeling so crappy about them before, they sorted it in the end. That plus I'm on a bit of a high about the fact that I've got my fave choice of tv on the way in some shape or another, and from a store with a good reputation plus 5 yr warranty. After having three tv's with problems which duly went back to Comet (who were very good about things, all said and done) I was a little concerned with buying online and facing a fight with some company at the other end of the country if things did go wrong. J L appear to be well thought of through this forum so I felt it was a good choice. Then again, waiting a week for a response is a bit beyond when unbeatable got back to me the next day with a match via email, but would they be so good after sales?
    (and yeah, I was impressed by the attitude of the nice girl)

rct- I haven't actually ordered yet, I am gonna wait until I find out when they say delivery will be likely and make my mind up from there. Robertsons online said they will have stock in Sept, cheaper, but no extended warranty, and almost a month away. Plus they're at the other end of the country...
    I'm just hoping for a decent answer tomorrow, there's only so much I can take of the crappy tv that I'm using at the moment. Lord of the Rings is out and I'll damage myself mentally if I have to watch it through that small square fishbowl.

26. tazpc

tazpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anybody tried to buy the new strata range from toshiba from JL?
    At present keep getting

" We have the 36zp18" and puzzlement from JL on that quaestion.

27. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so my shiny brand new Sony KV28LS60 arrived this morning and I couldnt get home from work quick enough.

Took a while to build up the cabinet and unravel all me cables, but eventually the moment of truth came and I must say I am hugely impressed with this set. Its such a relief to get a set with no probs, as the last 3 from COMET i noticed the faults straight away.

The whole quality of the set and cabinet is miles better than the Thomson/Toshiba sets, the picture and sound are great, I just need to spend a bit more time tweaking the settings to my liking.

Overall I am very impressed and would recommend this set to anyone looking for a good quality 28".

28. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another satisfied customer :)

29. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Your eyes were last tested when ? ;)
    Seriously, good luck in getting a set which meets with your approval. Enjoy.

30. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you know, I bought a Sony KV32LS60 yesterday for £676 from Emipre direct, they price matched the same TV from another website 24-7electrical, which was selling it for £844(empire had it up for £915) and gave me a discount 'cos of it, I'm well chuffed :D
    Also big thanks to everyone who's replied to my questions regarding this TV, am looking forward to it's delivery on Tuesday :) :)