1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis Pricematch

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by wozza, Jan 17, 2005.

1. wozza

wozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, just wondered if any of you have had John Lewis pricmatch a tv you've seen cheaper elsewhere. I gather from other threads that they've pricematched Crampton and Moore before, guess they wont do digitaldirectuk.com as they are web-based altho the tele is £500 cheaper here than JL, but you get the 5 year gurantee with JL, not sure that's worth paying £500 more for, i thought they only pricematched to local retailers within their area anyway.

2. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I got JL in Reading to price match RGB Direct the other day and got £350 off my Sharp 26". I phoned JL and got they phoned me back the next day to say the price match was approved :smashin:

3. wozza

wozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, are RGB direct a web=based company and are they local to the JL shop you got the pricematch from?

4. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    I got Cambridge JL to price match Sheffield based Crampton and Moore,so it's not just local retailers they price match.

5. Sheltie

Sheltie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just recieved my LC26GA4E from John Lewis Aberdeen, who pricematched Robertsons at £916 :D

6. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    RGB Direct are web based BUT they also have a shop (or 2). If you look at their website you can see this. They are based in Essex, 100 miles away from the JL shop I go the pricematch from.

7. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grrr .. next day reply?

I have waited about 2 weeks! I just rang them and they said they would look into it ..

5 mins later they ring me back giving me a price quote for a Panasonic DVD player .. what!!! No I want a Sharp LCD ....

Sigh ... now she says she will look at it again .. but I doubt it .. I think I will ring another branch.

So annoying .. oh well at least the longer I am waiting the more the price is dropping!!!

8. wozza

wozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just phoned the Wtaford John Lewis, she said they only price match within 10 mile radius of store, i then told her that i know of someone, you hunts1k, who got a pricematch 100 miles away, she said she would fill in the form anyway, not holding out much hope tho. Guess i could always buy it from the cambridge branch and go and pick it up fot that kind of saving.

9. Stevesco

Stevesco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sheltie..I'm in Aberdeen and was considering the Sharp screen you went for. Just a question though could you tell me who Robertsons are ?? are they a local company as I've never heard of them.

Thanks

10. wozza

wozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Stevesco

Stevesco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info wozza !
    Interesting that they matched an online store when they always say they have stopped doing that....a visit to John Lewis Aberdeen is called for me thinks :)

12. peterupnorth

peterupnorth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to get JL to price match a Sharp LC32GD1 (Robert White Glasgow were advertising at £2299, JL were £2999) I got a letter today from JL saying that they wouldn't match Whytes price because RW was selling "black" ones and JLs were "silver" so they were different, I thought that they were all titanium colour. Anyway, I got one at the weekend from Crampton & Moore for £1899. £1100 cheaper than JL. RESULT!!! Hehehe. (It's a titanium...or is it back? or silver? I'm confused now!!!).

13. Black Custard

Black Custard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All..

Tried to get JL in Solihull to pricematch the GD1E from Crampton & Moore, but would not do it as after checking they have found out that C&M are now out of stock..

Pants I've missed out again :censored: :censored: :censored:

14. Sheltie

Sheltie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stevesco, :hiya:
    Sorry for the delay in responding, but I've been off a couple of days.
    Have you visited JL yet - any success?
    Robertsons are actually a shop as well as online, I picked up from other threads that people had already had a pricematch done with them.
    Great price and great TV!!

15. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK .. just got a call from JL on Oxford Street. Apparently the woman visited RGB personally and cannot give me a price match as RGB did not have the LCD TV on display and they price she was quoted was different from the price I got from them over the phone - even though I asked for an in shop price. Therefore they are deemed not to have a fixed price and therefore JL will not price match them.

Even though I said many people have had theirs matched at RGB .. she said no no no "I visited them personally" .. so I gave up arguing.

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

16. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having no luck with getting a price match ... tried ringing around JL's and they will not match with RGB as their prices vary and they do not operate in the same way as JL.

Crampton and Moores is out of stock .. otherwise they will match them.

Roberstons instore price is £1059!!! Which is £10 more than JL's instore price!!!

Arrggghhhh!!!!

What now? Am I never going to get the TV I want at the price I would like it?

17. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I gave up on JL a long time ago, even though they priced matched with RGB for me, as i was outside the delivery area (30 mile radius of store) they could not guarantee a safe delivery of the tv, i emailed and complained about this and here is the reply:

Apologies for any inconvenience that you may have experienced, unfortunately John Lewis Direct cannot price match in any circumstance even though I appreciate it appears strange not to price match one of our own stores, however the only reason a price may be lower in a store is because they themselves are price matching a local competitor. My only suggestion would be that you purchase from the Liverpool store with an alternative delivery address

So the only suggestion was that i get it delivered to a house where i don't live................in Liverpool...................i don't think so :eek:

18. wozza

wozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't they just scrap the PriceMatch policy, if indeed one exists, seems to be made up as they go along, been waiting 3 days now and no reply from JL, asked them to match RGB and it sounds that i'll get a no as an answer, and that space in the front room needs to be filled sharpish. So i get a telly a bout £400 off list price and get only a 12 month warranty, still no bad really!

19. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did you get it pricematched to RGB from liverpool.

Reading will not price match them as it is more than 20 miles away ...

:censored:

I will not give up .. I will ring every single JL store if I have to.

20. wozza

wozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you're saying, if you persist you're bound to get it, but i believe no matter what store oyu call, it goes to the same department anyway from talking to 3 stores already, still you may get lucky, hope ya do!

21. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    took me 3 HOURS for Bluewater JL to price match. They really tried everything to stop me getting £1500 off my screen.

22. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3 hours?

I have been trying for the past 336 hours (2 weeks) still no joy ...

Who did you price match with? and what tv was it?

I have not tried bluewater .. will give them a ring later!

Also interestingly some JL shops are cheaper than others! .. How bizarre is that!

23. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    tv was panny 42inch plasma, price matched with KRISH in cheswick (although other members have had Krish as a no no from other JL branches)... JL do have different prices for all equipment, JL bluewater have ther panny E55 recorder in there for £169 at the moment, the cheapest anywhere ive seen, even online! go figure.

24. kevin19470

kevin19470
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

JL WILL price match one of their other stores who has done a pm. They will also pm national company's i.e. comet, dixons, alders, powerhouse.

JL Cheadle are ideal to deal with - they will even tell you who they are price matching with at any given time.

Hope this helps.

Kev.

25. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes YES YES YES!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Result!!!

Finally I got a JL to price match RGB - £951!!!

Now all I need to do is try and get my local JL to agree and match that price.

Otherwise I will need to do a 80mile round trip to pick it up. Hopefully my local will do it .. but I doubt it ..

But fingers crossed ... I got this far atlast .. might as well go the whole hog.

Hope the Sharp 26 GA4E is worth it!

26. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Nice work mate, good luck with the local store

And the tv is well worth it :thumbsup:

27. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My local JL is agreeing to match the other JL where I got my price match with RGB.

:clap: woooohhhhooooooo!

Plus I have JL vouchers so I can get another £50 off ..

So I am effectively getting it for £901!

:beer:'s are on me!

Now my next question .. best and cheapest place to get a wall mount for it!

I got to get the stuff for it! Thanks to everyone who has helped me with stores to price match against, and for suggesting JL's to try!

28. wozza

wozza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done hoyin, think i can't wait any longer and am going to pick one up from rgb tmrw morning, jsut hope i don't get a call or letter next week saying that they'll pricematch. What store was it that pricematched and how long did it take?

29. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Which JL did you use hoyin?

30. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wozza,

Where abouts are you based?

I got it priced matched at Reading, after reading someone did similar as well.

Originally they said they would not as it was outside of their 20mile radius, so I didn't hold much hope.

But today I got a surprise phone call!

Asked them yesterday, got a reply today!

Oher places have been about 3-4 days.

I would ring around all the other JL stores around you - contary to what you said I definitely do not think they have the same undersales team at each branch.

Don't give up .. pursue it a bit longer 5 years warranty is worth it I think.

:smashin: