1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis Pricematch - how?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by portal, Dec 22, 2004.

1. portal

portal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want my "local" John Lewis (Norwich) to do a price match on a Panny TH37PE30 and stand and DVD recorder.

I believe these threads mention the Welwyn store doing this at £1999. :lease:

Can I simply email the Norwich store. I am in Ipswich, so a journey to Norwich seems a waste if they won't play ball.

Portal.

2. portal

portal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone must know how!?

3. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Phone them up, give them details of the offer that you want to pricematch.

They go away, do some detective work and phone you back with an YES or a NO.

Alternatively,

Phone them up, give them details of the offer that you want to pricematch.

They look up their book of totally lame excuses and then phone you back to say NO.

4. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phone them up and get them to price match with JL Peterborough, who are delivering mine today, at £1999 inc. stand & E55, having pricematched with Comet. Phone Comet and Powerhouse see if their offer is still on.

5. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Phone Welwyn and check that they are still doing the offer.
    2. Phone your store and tell them that Welwyn are doing it for £1999 etc. etc.
    3. Ask them to price-match Welwyn

They pretty much *have* to price-match against their own stores :)

6. willyworm

willyworm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welwyn are not offering it at this price, I went in a couple of weeks ago. However, JL Cheadle is, and JL Watford price matched this for me this morning, giving me £500 back, thank you very much. Just phone your local shop, speak to the undersales dept and tell them that Cheadle is, they go away and verify it and then credit any difference.

Big thanks to all on this forum, without which I'd be £500 worse off

7. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it's worth stressing that even after buying from JL you can still get them to give you some money back :)

You have up to 28 days to find another JL store (or a shop they will pricematch) that's selling the same thing cheaper and you can claim back the difference. You can do this as many times within the 28 day period as you can find cheaper deals. Apparently (and I heard this from a JL employee) some people get up to 3 or 4 refunds on the same item as they shop around and find ever cheaper prices... :eek:

8. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got John Lewis Oxford Street to price match the Peterborugh store at 2,000 for the tv, stand and dvd recorder. They were very reluctant. Very nice chap called Oliver from Peterborugh store helped me out enormasly by shouting at Oxford Street idiots. :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :)

9. portal

portal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    Thanks v.much.

Spoke earlier this evening to the Norwich John Lewis Branch. I have the 37" Viera, floor stand/cabinet & DVD Recorder coming for £1999.99. This includes free delivery, 5 years cover on the TV, and 2 years on the DVD.

This is the best price I can find, plus the extra warranty is a real bonus!

Stuff is being delivered Wed 29th Dec! Couldn't fault the service from JL (so far). The guy had to call a few other JL stores to check, and phoned back within 10 mins. JL original price £3.6k!

Thanks again to all who helped me out!

Portal

10. BabyCakes

BabyCakes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Surely all branches of John Lewis will have the same prices?

I just bought a plasma for £1649 but it appears at £1799 on the website. What is going on?

11. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BabyCakes,

All John Lewis branchs will have the same "official" price - eg. £2995 for the 42" Viera (without stand) as advertised on their website

However, the John Lewis Price Promise says that John Lewis branches (not the website) will never be "knowingly undersold". This means that if you can find another shop that meets JL's criteria selling the same item for less before or within 28 days of your purchase, JL will sell it to you for that price - and throw in their 5 year guarantee on expensive TVs for free :)

However, the "never knowingly undersold" policy is administered on a per-branch basis by separate teams of people at each branch called the "undersales departments". It's their job to verify the prices of competitors, and that they meet the criteria (eg. must have a "proper" shop; price must be displayed in the shop, etc.) for an "undersale" to be authorised. If the competing shop is within a certain distance of the JL branch in question, then this wll be made into a "general" undersale and the price in that store only will be lowered to match; if it's outside the catchment area then it will be a "price match" and only available to people who inform them specifically of it.

Of course, as I've posted before, the never "knowingly" undersold policy really means "we don't know about it until you tell us" - so even if another John Lewis 500 yards down the street has the same item for £1k less, your branch won't match that price until somebody tells them about it! That's why you will get a different price for the same item from at least half the JL branches at any time.

However, this works in your favour if you know about it - as all you have to do is phone round all the JL branches in the country (here) and find the lowest price. Then phone your nearest branch and inform them of the price you have found at another branch. As it's another JL branch they are pretty much obliged to match the price (they can't make excuses about it not being a "proper shop" etc.) and will have to sell the item to you at the price you have told them about :)

12. Bob.C

Bob.C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gents,

Thanks from a newbie for the great information on this thread.

I have phoned several JL stores today in an attempt to get a decent price match on Pani 42" TH42-PE30 inc stand and either DVD DMRE85HEBS (Best JL price to date is £3278) or with DVD DMRE55EBS (best price £2929). Both of these prices appear to fall a little short of what some of you guys managed to get recently from JL. Any price tips on which store are lowest at present (preferably display price) would be greatly appreciated.

13. Steve_B

Steve_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92

JL Watford are doing it for £2699 with stand and E55... Robert Whyte Ltd in Glasgow are offering it for £2199 (no stand or DVD) but with 5 Years, tried to get JL to price match but they won't in their words "Not the same deal" even though the stand and dvd are "FREE"

-Steve

14. tonym

tonym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All
    your posts stated the 37" viera was now avaliable for £1999 at JL Cheadle. JL Cheadle confirms this. So a little P***sed off i rang JL bluewater to complain that i had paid £2099 under 28 days ago. They have agreed to refund the £100.
    Tonym

15. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good one tony, thats what its all about :D

16. tim allen

tim allen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does any bodey know how the waranty works i live 90 miles away from cribs causway do the send an engineer round any help thanks

17. stefire27

stefire27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also today have price matched a th37pe30 at j.lewis at nottingham quoting the offer from comet of £1999.00. This I thought was a bargain when considering that comet charge a little over £500 for 5 years warranty and you get this for nothing with j.lewis.

Thanks to who ever started this thread as I have saved a little more that can be spent in the kitchen for the wife as a sign of good will.

18. tim allen

tim allen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you get the dvd recorder with that aswell and i presume that its 1999 instore at comet great price though :thumbsup:

19. Angelis

Angelis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just asked JL to price match a Pioneer plasma. the lady who took the details says it takes 2 to 3 days to get an Yes/No.

Is this how long it normally takes?

20. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I got mine same day.

21. stefire27

stefire27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i rang I just said i've got my card in my hand ready to go to comet can you price match with them, 15 mins later phone rang 'hello j.Lewis here....' and order placed. Pick it up tommorow yipeeeee