1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis Price Matching

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Rookies, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    I just got back from Sheffield and went into john lewis looking at new Tv's. I was going to buy one but when I came to mention price matching, they say they dont price match with interenet orders or telephone orders. They only price match with retial shops. I have seen on this forum that people got them to price match with who ever they found cheaper. But I just could not get them to price match this interenet firm called Unbeatable aswell as Empire Direct.

How do you all do it???

2. TommyP

TommyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a milage limit kinda, I know Dixons etc the store has to be within a 10 mile radius of the shop you are purchsing from.

4. goa

goa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aletank
    None that I know of - I got a JL branch in London to pricematch Electrocentre in Birmingham. Don't know much about geography, but know that Birmingham is nowhere near London :p

Rookies
    No, JL will not pricematch with Unbeatable and Empire Direct because these are internet retailers. This subject has been covered a million times already in this forum and a list of shops have been mentioned that JL will readily pricematch with. I got them to match Electrocentre who have an internet site and a retail outlet somewhere in Birmingham. Others have used Krishav, Robertsons, Premier AV, etc... Don't give up on your attempts to get JL to pricematch, but you have to do your homework before you approach them next time.

Goa

5. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Yeah that what I am doing now. My homework of who to get JL to price match wiv.

I have contacted the above 2 places for prices. Does anyone of any details of any other firms ie URL or contact details to get some mroe prices before I go back to Jl during the week

6. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/mainscreen.asp

http://www.robertsons-online.co.uk/

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/00-index.html

http://www.soundandvision.uk.com/index.html

There the few I know of that have "Walk in stores" in the UK, Here's a quote fro mthe John Lewis web site too which you may find useful
    Let us know how you get on with them and the procedure you have to follow

;)

7. KANU25

KANU25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do these stores have to have the goods in stock for JL to price match??

8. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends what ya lookin for don't it !!

Check the site or phone up for what ever you want and find out ;)

9. paulsheerin

paulsheerin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Rookies - JL Sheffield price matched for me on the Sony AV32FX66 just before xmas.

Got the info from this forum that Krishav (Hammersmith) are doing the tv @ £799 + Stand £50 + Delivery £40.

I paid £889 for the set which had a ticket price of £1195.

Get one of the young ladies on the shop floor to call the store to check stock, this is what I did. I told her I had a pal in London who had just bought one from them.

Anyway she called the floor manager over to confirm the undersale & he couldnt argue really - the girl confirmed that she had just spoken to Krish & they had stock @ £799.

At this point the floor manager nearly fell over & looked like he might not let it go through - I then bottled it & stold him that the stand & delivery would cost another £90 from krish so I was willing to pay £889. He almost semmed relieved bless-im

10. paulsheerin

paulsheerin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must get a spill chucker!! Hmm wonder if JL do them?

11. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Paul thanks for that information, I have now figure on how to go along with price match. Just need to find a walk in shop like a few places do that have online stores aswell and having same prices. IE the site you mention and a few others. So I going to decided what tv I want for sure first then get the shop detials for JL to call when I go and try and buy one.

What you comments on the tv set you bough? I have been wanting to get the KV32FQ80 but untill yesterday when i found this forum I am now kinda off putting. I just dunno if it just a general fualt that these tv are having, or bad batch or i just bad luck

12. paulsheerin

paulsheerin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest - I'm *fairly* pleased with the set. Dont think I could say that had I paid £1195 for it though.

I reckon after spending a few weeks reading this and other forums you become a bit picky. I tend to spend more time looking for faults like "bad geometry" and stuff than actually watching the picture. Sad I know.

Guess that will wear off in time & I can get used to appreciating the picture itself, which is pretty impressive actually specially with DVD's.

For me, with the budget I had (£900) to work with it was a choice between the FX66 & the Tosh 32ZD26 & the sony won purely because I preffered the look of it.

13. ali1

ali1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im also thinking of buying the sony 32fx66. I rang john lewis in oxford street to investigate a price match with electrocentre. They rang me back yesterday quoting a price of 899 which i think is a bargain. They would not price match with krish AV saying they dont have shelf edged tickets

14. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sent JLewis an email asking if they had the Sony 36FS76 in stock. They replied saying yes at £1795.

I then rang to price match with the Premier Av centre. They said no problem but it would cost £175 for delivery!!!???!!! WHAT??

They called Premier Av to confirm price (£1399) and then called me to say they thought I wanted a completely different Sony television and that they didn't in fact have any of the Fs76's in stock till end of Jan at earliest!???

All very suspect?

I am now going to order from House of Fraser as they are in my home town and will do a 5 yr warranty. Price is slightly more but I've had enough of being messed around on the phone and by the online companies!

Regards

Tom

15. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    I tried to get John Lewis to price match a Sony FQ80 and DVD player with a local AV store.

JL insisted that price matching could not be done in store and instead had to be passed through to their underselling department. 3 days later I got back a letter syaing that they could not price match because the TV price was a special offer and the DVD was not the same as it was multi-region - which it was not.

I can imagine that when JL phone to check the price the conversation goes like this:
    "Hello this is John Lewis. We are trying to pinch one of your customers for a Sony so please tell me the price."

I think that House of Fraser also give 5 year guarantees and price match but only if the other retailer also does 5 year gntee and free delivery - rules out most.

16. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had JL phone me back this morning to confirm they would price match Premier AV for 32FX66 + SLVSE720 for £1000 delivered free for Wednesday morning. Even though I live miles away I used the Solihull store as I thought they'd be near to Premier AV's shop. The lady in the JL AV department was well aware of premier av and was happy to go and request a price match for me on Friday.... 2 days later - now ordered. The lady from undersales said she was given a price by premier av and then asked if they could do a better price for me but they said that was their best offer so she took it.

Just to clarify a point: if JL say that both JL and the competitor need to have it in stock to price match they are lying. A JL store tried this on me saying that JL did not it in stock so could not price match, so I spoke to Solihull who told me this is rubbish and even confirmed it with a manager.

In summary, I would definitely recommend people use JL Solihull for a price match against premier av, and if you want a 32FX66, ring today, as both stores are open, both stores have stock, and they should price match for you today.:)

17. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Why did you not get it for £900 that how much people can get them for.

18. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He also got the Sony SLVE720 Video normally about £120, so he got a good deal

£900 seems to be the bottom price or there abouts

19. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV was 895 and the VCR was 105 - £1000 in total

When I spoke to premier av direct they offered me 955 for the two including delivery. But I'm quite happy at £1000 all in from JL

20. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    Hi

Ops sorry forgot about that VCR. Yeah a good deal there mate :)

21. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

Sounds like there might be a few of us taking a trip to Solihull in the near future!!!

I can see why people prefer to purchase from JL, they do look after their customers. I have bought a few items from them - safe in the knowledge that they don't mess you around, when occasionly something does go wrong.

Does the free 5 year parts and labour warranty apply to all TV's does anyone know?

Regards

PaulkMK

22. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty certain that EVERY TV on sale has the 5 years warranty.
    Plus you can do all the price matching over the phone - no need for a long drive - I just asked for the TV & Audio Department and did it all through the lady in there

23. jimboy

jimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone had jl pricematch rgb as they are doing the jvc 28r25 for 479.89 as apposed to john louiss 500.00. i got in touch with there bluewater store and they said it would take about a week to check rgbs price. they also said that they have to visit the store in person as they cant do it over the phone.

24. jimboy

jimboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry john louiss price is 599.99

25. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    WIll they match a price of a competitor if the competitor has no stock?

26. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    I dont think they do match if the other dont have it instock, as what i believe happens is JL give them a call to check there price aswell if they have it stock before letting you know if you able to have a price match.

I still got to do my price matching yet but till i decided what tv I am having I am keeping my eyes out on how you lot are getting on with it

27. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bit unfair if JL insist on the other party being in stock when they may not have it themselves?

28. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I got them to pricematch RGB Direct. I posted details in Biboo's Toshiba 32ZD26P Summary thread. Good luck.

29. KANU25

KANU25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this maybe covered before but couldn't find any details.

I'm about to purchase a TV from John Lewis which means I'll get a 5 year warranty with it - but can I then use the Barclaycard price promise with another company which doesn't give out 5 year warrantys???

Barclaycard's price promise extends to internet companies but I'm not sure how the 5 year warranty fits in

30. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There

Just had JL call me to say that they can not match The Premier AV Centre for £780 for the kv32ls60 as that is their internet price only. The shop price was considerably higher.

Any comments?

They are now trying Electro Centre @ 790.

Will post back shortly.

Regards

PaulMK