1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John lewis Price Matching

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by JEG649, Sep 26, 2005.

1. JEG649

JEG649
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may not be news to any of you but I bought a Panny TX26LXD50 yesterday from John Lewis as my previous TV had died. They were selling for £849 so I asked about price matching and they said just buy it and give them a ring with the comparison.

Got home looked it up on pricerunner.com and found a shop the other end of the country selling for £735 +£20 delivery. Phoned them up and had a "discussion" about their price matching being only against local retailers - ended up they price matched and refunded me £90 there and then! Plus I got the JL 5 year guarantee - now I can settle down and watch my new box...

2. master_shake_uk

master_shake_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done on following through. It is rather tiring in this day and age to have stupid price matching policies based on locality. Obviously the power of the internet has not yet dawned on these retailers.

Nice to see they do have some reason though. That being selling TV = ££££. I tip my hat to John Lewis :thumbsup:

3. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    currys online are selling a TV for £1327 but JL online is £1749. do you think they would price match?

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Even though some stores may say they only price match against local retailers they're wrong as is shown by the official JL pricing policy -

"Our promise to you extends beyond the local area to cover any conventional shop in the UK where you find the same item on display at a lower shelf-edge price with the same availability and terms. "

JL Online don't do price matching at all.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I would recommend get the price match first though rather than buying you're TV from John Lewis and then trying to get a refund of the difference. Remember they will only pricematch if the other store has stock, so you could find yourself buying the TV from John Lewis and then you're chosen comparison store suddenly runs out of stock and remember the policy only applies for 28 days.

I just recently saved nearly £500 when I got my local JL to pricematch against Crampton & Moore for a Sharp LC37P50E. :)

6. JEG649

JEG649
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neilmcl - I agree they tried that with me too. I just pointed them to that very sentence in their pricing policy!!

I've no real criticism of JL - they are only trying to protect their margins. It does bring into play an old debate regularly raised on these boards about the imapct that some of these "bricks and clicks" suppliers are going to have on the whole electronics market in the future.

JLs price is probably to pay for their "impartial" advice and huge prime location stores - with the internet becoming all pervasive I wonder how long they can afford to offer price matching.