1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Lewis Price Matching

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by JEG649, Jul 5, 2005.

1. JEG649

JEG649
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went into John Lewis over the weekend to talk about buying Canon 350D. They are selling it with the 18-55 lens and a 1Gb card for £729.

I said to the sales assistant that it seemed pretty expensive as for example I know you can get it without the 1Gb card for £629 at Jessops, so surely there would be other places with a more competitive price.

He said that the card was "direct from Canon" and no-one else was offering that as a package and therefore couldn't be price matched.

Has anyone else encountered this with John Lewis or knows somewhere reliable that is offering the 350D at a competitive price?

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure if your wanting to buy online or not but Amazon are doing the Canon 350D kit for £599... this is about the best price I've seen it for (a 1 to 2 week wait for it though)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007R6CHQ/ref=br_lf_ce_13/202-6649249-6735010

If you'd rather buy it from a shop then I think Jessops would probably price match this.

Then you can pick up a 1gig Integral i-pro professional high-speed compact flash card for £47 + p&p from SVP... (second from bottom of the page)

http://svp.co.uk/acatalog/cf.html

You've just saved yourself £80 over John Lewis!! :clap:

Regards,
    Iain.

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd skip the integral and get a scandisk ultra ll /extreme lll, or lexar for not much more from ebay.

4. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    If you find the cheapest price on the net (UK suppliers and in stock) print it out and take to Jessops, they will price match it without any fuss.

At least they did for me about 6 months ago. This was way down the scale from your package (Canon A85) but I saved myself about £50 from the in-store price.

HTH

RDB :)

5. bodmin636

bodmin636
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PCworld are also doing these as online price at £609. Reserve it online and go pick it up from your local store.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photography/digital-cameras/337815/prices

The above link is for the 350D with 1 GB.

John Lewis is well known for being inconsistent with their price matching. If you do a search for JL on the Television section you will find loads of threads on the matter. There are many people who seem to have phoned up one week and got them to match a store but when someone else phones up with the same store they get told they wont match that store but by phoning back a few times they find a sales assistance who will.

Personally I disagree with price matching - if you see it cheaper else where why not reward that store with your custom rather than allowing a large chain to reduce their price exclusively for you and continue to rip off everyone else

7. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Unfortunately this might not happen, I just tried (yesterday) to get Jessops to price match the Canon EOS 350D body only and they would not do it, the lowest they would go was £570, and not the £529 price I presented them with from a UK in stock shop.

When I asked them why they wouldn't price match considering they advertise that they price match and will not be beaten on price?, I was told "cause we don't have to mate" :thumbsdow

Regards,
    Iain.

8. JEG649

JEG649
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice - I'll try Jessops as a first off as they are also offering Interest Free for 12 months which even at losing 3% int on money in the bank is £20.